Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Keel Guard #10873745 05/26/15 09:49 PM
TTx Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Got the Yak out for the first time Sunday. A few hours in before the storms started rolling in and we left. I must have drug my kayak a little up the ramp, and it took a decent chunk.

Any good recommendations for a keel guard/solution to this? I understand "precaution", but are there other measures I could install that are recommended in case I happen to drag again?

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10874028 05/27/15 12:16 AM
T
Terek Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
DON'T drag it! Use a cart will save your problem. You could buy one or make one by yourself. Some thing like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D4SHEMf9JI

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10874920 05/27/15 01:13 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Yeah, don't do that. The only time I drag mine is on the grass by the water line when I am pulling it ashore. Definitely invest in a good cart, or simply make one yourself.

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10876164 05/27/15 08:54 PM
TTx Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Well, I dismounted in the water, and just so it didn't float back in I ran it up the ramp just a tiny bit - but that tiny bit did some work. I am looking into the keel protector they use for beaching boats.

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10882409 05/30/15 02:45 AM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
You can buy Keel Guard or Keel Shield and install it your self. There are new adhesives available that will work on plastic hulls of kayaks. The best ones require heating the plastic some to reduce the surface tension. I'm thinking of putting some on my kayaks. I will fish at a nearby pond in the morning if it isn't raining, and I have to move my kayak across large rocks. I have a very good cart, but it's not useful there.

Artie
Re: Keel Guard [Re: Bass Art] #10883201 05/30/15 03:05 PM
TTx Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Bass Art
You can buy Keel Guard or Keel Shield and install it your self. There are new adhesives available that will work on plastic hulls of kayaks. The best ones require heating the plastic some to reduce the surface tension. I'm thinking of putting some on my kayaks. I will fish at a nearby pond in the morning if it isn't raining, and I have to move my kayak across large rocks. I have a very good cart, but it's not useful there.

I have been researching more into it - the keel guard rolls for boats are insane expensive. I've seen some custom guards for the stern that are actually metal, and lastly - I found a shrink one that won't break the bank. I haven't ordered it yet, still trying to decide if I want to run the entire hull or not.

PereGuard is the one I've found that I think I will be giving a try. I just like to have those extra protections/comforts.

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10884448 05/31/15 01:13 AM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Interesting looking product. The price is certainly right.

Artie
Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10885426 05/31/15 06:43 PM
B
Bio Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If you install this PereGuard Please give a review on it. I'm interested in the product too.

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10885465 05/31/15 07:13 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It says with heat it is easy to remove!
I would be worrisome about it coming off or shifting with our hot, hot Texas summers, and strapped to a roof of a vehicle or just sitting in direct sunlight.
Scratches on the bottom of a kayak just come with the territory. You can be as careful as possible and still get the bottom with a few deep gouges.
Best way is to beach on a soft bank with either sand or grass. Carry the kayak when or if you can and use a cart when you can't.
Damage can be fixed and if not just gives you a reason to buy another kayak.

Last edited by Jimbo; 05/31/15 07:17 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10887207 06/01/15 03:58 PM
L
LuvPondFishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: trt08
Originally Posted By: Bass Art

I have been researching more into it - the keel guard rolls for boats are insane expensive. I've seen some custom guards for the stern that are actually metal, and lastly - I found a shrink one that won't break the bank. I haven't ordered it yet, still trying to decide if I want to run the entire hull or not.

PereGuard is the one I've found that I think I will be giving a try. I just like to have those extra protections/comforts.

I have used a similar product:

http://www.keeleazy.com/

It comes in 2 and 4 inch widths. Although I found that although the 2 inch width will work, I think the next time, I would go with the 4 inch. There is a decent selection of colors in the 2 inch width, but in the 4 inch width, you are limited to black or white.

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
This might be the weirdest, most pointless post ever.

I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering fishing
Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10890421 06/02/15 07:35 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
This website has alot more information than the Peregrine site does. I sent Peregrine an email asking for more info yesterday, and I have received no reply or acknowledgement of any kind. If you have used this product before, than that is what I would go with.

Artie
Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10895928 06/04/15 10:20 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
So this thread is something that I've been thinking about for a while. I've had my kayak only for about 6 months now and I've got some scratches on the bottom and in the front on the keel. I know it comes with the territory of owning a kayak. I started to think of ways to help prevent the scratching without having to mess with it all the time. So here are my thoughts so far:

Keel guard stickers - Great idea, but how well will it actually take abuse against a tree limb under water that you didn't see, or even worse rubbing against a rock? I a thin strip of anything doesn't offer much protection in my opinion unless it's made from titanium.

I thought about using rubber floor mat that were cut into strips. Problem there is you have to sand the parts you want to apply, then use adhesive, then apply the rubber. There has to be something better.

Then it clicked... I own a truck and I have Rhino lining sprayed in the bed. The stuff is tough and repels water. It's not a smooth finish, but it's smooth enough so I don't think that it will cause a problem with tracking or resistance while moving. I've read a lot of reviews and such and some of them even say that you do not have to sand to get it to adhere to plastic or smooth surfaces. I may have to apply multiple coats to get the desired thickness but for $8, what more could you ask for.

Anybody have thoughts on this or even attempted it?

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: Keel Guard [Re: TTx] #10896098 06/04/15 11:40 PM
TTx Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Never even thought of that as an alternative; however, quick search turned this up:

Arma Coating Kayak

Not our type of kayak necessarily, but close enough to be relevant. I am still checking out all of the alternatives, I was going to get a heat gun and try the stripping. Bass boat beach guards are pretty similar material, so I'm still leaning that way, but if I walk past any bed liner spray I may try that instead.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide