texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,751
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? #10880766 05/29/15 04:30 PM
Mark Perry Online Content OP
Super Freak
OP Online Content
Super Freak
Not saying anyone is wrong or trying to start an argument. I am honestly curious to hear from those that have tried each and did not see the advantages.
Personally I thought tungsten as overhyped and I held out longer than I should. Now I cannot imagine not using it. On the fluoro I have proven it to myself too many times that it suits me better. I shallow crank with fluoro and a while back I grabbed wrong spool and put mono on a setup. Fast forward to a week or so later and I forgot about it and threw that setup in the boat. Grabbed it out of the locker and was chunking a squarebill. Kept feeling a ton of line stretch on hangups and bites. Felt less connected to the bait as well. Looked at the combo number and realized it was mono. I hated it. Sort of my own blind testing but it really opened my eyes a bit.

Fluoro costs more but I find it lasts longer and I need to respool less. Tungsten costs more but I hang up less and lose less weights. Its almost a wash. So many good economy fluoros and these days you can tungsten fairly cheap. I have no plans of going back to all mono and lead.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880791 05/29/15 04:40 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I use them both but not much.

Flouro for light line and tungsten is for night fishing.

I do use Pline copolymer because its overall characteristics.

I do have some flouro for offshore fishing but I have not been enough to have an opinion on that.

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880794 05/29/15 04:40 PM
JBellZX250 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I still use mono on all my top water and cranks(sq bill-6xd). I have come to prefer the stretch mono gives on cranks, but then again I have never thrown light fluoro with a sq. bill. I also prefer the mono due to the lack of memory and how cheap Big Game is which makes retying with any bad patch of line easy on the pocket book.

On my 8-10xd I am using 15lb fluro. I also use tungsten/fluoro combo on tx rigs. Shakey heads and Jigs I am still using lead weighted versions with fluoro.

When throwing a drop shot I stick with the lead weights because I think the braid gives enough feel to get away with a lead weight!

Jeff Bell/Realtor JeffBellKW@gmail.com
Keller Williams Realty (817)713-0508
Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880803 05/29/15 04:44 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Years ago myself and a friend were dragging Carolina rigs up at Hurley's pool. I was using a 1 oz. tungsten weight with a plastic bead and he was using lead with a glass bead. Hooks, baits and leader length were the same. I caught 5 fish for every fish he caught. Offered him the tungsten but he said that couldn't be it. After all, he's a pro and I'm a hack. Did it to him again the next day. He fishes nothing but tungsten now roflmao

Mark, I use fluoro on most of my set ups. I still use mono for topwaters and floating jerk baits. Also use it on deep cranks for stretch on occasion. I use braid for frogs and rattletraps over grass (been a long time for that app) and exclusively at Camelot Bell. Other than those few applications, I use nothing but fluoro.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: JBellZX250] #10880811 05/29/15 04:45 PM
D
Dosser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I don't get to fish near as often as I would like. I have switched to all fluoro except for topwater and a heavy flipping stick both on braid. As for tungsten its past my cash limit just for weights. And I have found my confidence in black painted lead weights (picasso brand I believe.) As for shaky heads its the 4pk of lead big bite brand. I tried tungsten once and it wasn't my thing.

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880812 05/29/15 04:45 PM
S
Slade Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I love floro. I have it or braid on all of my rigs anymore. I don't even use mono anymore. I used to keep on rigged for top water but I end up using braid or 12# floro.

I really like the invisix and abrasix. I use 17# a lot but #15 on cranks, #20-25 on deep water jigs or worms.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: fouzman] #10880821 05/29/15 04:48 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Years ago myself and a friend were dragging Carolina rigs up at Hurley's pool. I was using a 1 oz. tungsten weight with a plastic bead and he was using lead with a glass bead. Hooks, baits and leader length were the same. I caught 5 fish for every fish he caught. Offered him the tungsten but he said that couldn't be it. After all, he's a pro and I'm a hack. Did it to him again the next day. He fishes nothing but tungsten now roflmao

Mark, I use fluoro on most of my set ups. I still use mono for topwaters and floating jerk baits. Also use it on deep cranks for stretch on occasion. I use braid for frogs and rattletraps over grass (been a long time for that app) and exclusively at Camelot Bell. Other than those few applications, I use nothing but fluoro.

One caveat. I only use tungsten weights with a polished bore. Tungsten weights with or without inserts are junk, imo.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880845 05/29/15 04:54 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Fluoro makes a huge difference with weightless flukes and worms; much better bite detection and hookset. Only use mono now on a few suspending jerkbaits---some suspend just right on mono, but sink on fluoro/float on mean green.

I'm slowly transitioning to tungsten. It's on all my pegged Trigs for flipping--The smaller size (higher density) of tungsten makes it easier to slip through cover and I feel more confident that the fish won't spit it out as quickly. Still have some lead on Crigs, but transitioning to tungsten there. For cost savings, I'll still use lead for split shot through the tops of vegetation and drop shot.

[Linked Image]
Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880873 05/29/15 05:07 PM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I use mono on topwater except frogs then flouro for everything else. I got a buddy that only uses mono and braid and I out do him most all the time and with same baits. I rarely have to respool and also get hung up less with tungsten.

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880908 05/29/15 05:19 PM
C
craigfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
$ is why

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880965 05/29/15 05:37 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I definitely love the tungsten. I prefer the smaller profile. As far as flouro I use it on my finesse and super light weight applications. I still do not like it but it is the best line for the the job when drop shotting or weightless rigs. Flouro has been proven to stretch as much or more(depending on brand)than a copolymer so no real benefit there. I dont see the need to have a line that sinks when you are putting 1/2-1oz lures on. Any line will sink with that. IMO flouro just does not have the benefits that marketing tells you it has but like I said before, there are applications I use where I think it is the better line.

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880968 05/29/15 05:38 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I can see why people use only fluoro, etc. I realize the advantages and have experimented.
I use only tungsten but I also use either mono or braid 90 percent of the time.
I just don't fish the applications that fluoro shines very much. I agree about the polished bore tungsten Fouz said above.
I like a solid knot and a little more stretch for my way of fishing. I don't like line failure at ALL if possible.
I guess if I fished deeper or light line stuff more then I would use more fluoro.
Just me I guess.
I often wonder why people on this forum swear by certain things and honestly I cannot for the life of me understand- but there are many ways to get the job done- part of why fishing is so fun.

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10880969 05/29/15 05:38 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
tungsten costs too much for me,..the only tungsten I use are the nails, and thats because of
the size is easier to use when I put it in a worm or fluke.
I've also gone to braid on most my reels, with leaders or just straight braid, much cheaper in the long run, same amount of fish ...
recently I've become a big fan of the hi-vis yellow braid and actually using a black braid leader. the hi vis braid is easier to know where
i'm fishing especially in the winds we been having, and I see a lot more bites watching the line go slack that I used to miss, not all fish run away from you..
so far so good...

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Dr JL] #10881001 05/29/15 05:47 PM
Mark Perry Online Content OP
Super Freak
OP Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Dr JL
I can see why people use only fluoro, etc. I realize the advantages and have experimented.
I use only tungsten but I also use either mono or braid 90 percent of the time.
I just don't fish the applications that fluoro shines very much. I agree about the polished bore tungsten Fouz said above.
I like a solid knot and a little more stretch for my way of fishing. I don't like line failure at ALL if possible.
I guess if I fished deeper or light line stuff more then I would use more fluoro.
Just me I guess.
I often wonder why people on this forum swear by certain things and honestly I cannot for the life of me understand- but there are many ways to get the job done- part of why fishing is so fun.

I fish shallow if I can help it and use mostly 15-20lb line. I prefer fluoro for all pitching and flipping, swimjigs, medium and lipless cranks, squarebills, weightless plastics, finesse stuff, and spinnerbaits. I prefer mono on topwaters and deep divers. I use braid on frogs, punching, and bladed jigs.

Re: Who chooses not to use tungsten and fluoro? [Re: Mark Perry] #10881064 05/29/15 06:09 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I won't use anything but tungsten now. They're so sensitive and I prefer the smaller profile.

Fluoro I hate. I think if more people would start using co-poly line fluoro would disappear from the market.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide