Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,810
Posts13,934,908
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp #10879069 05/28/15 09:59 PM
S
Scott in Flower Mound Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
All,

I recognize this post could end up on a more general forum, but I'd like to get a lot of eyes on it, and it is intended to help me teach a group of Boy Scouts here in Flower Mound enough to earn their Fishing Merit Badge. I'm asking for your help to review the below Scout requirements, and offer any additional tips for effectively getting these boys prepared for freshwater fishing. In addition, if any of you know any lure or tackle manufacturers that might want to donate lures or tackle to the Scouts for this, please share that as well, and I will seek out opportunities to help the boys during their Summer camp in late June. Thanks!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what the Boy Scouts of America expects when it comes to teaching the fundamentals:

In Scouting for Boys, Baden-Powell offers this advice: "Every Scout ought to be able to fish in order to get food for himself. A tenderfoot [beginner] who starved on the bank of a river full of fish would look very silly, yet it might happen to one who had never learned to catch fish."

Boy Scout Fishing Merit Badge - Requirements:

Do the following:
Explain to your counselor the most likely hazards you may encounter while participating in fishing activities, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards.
Discuss the prevention of and treatment for the following health concerns that could occur while fishing, including cuts and scratches, puncture wounds, insect bites, hypothermia, dehydration, heat exhaustion, heatstroke, and sunburn.
Explain how to remove a hook that has lodged in
your arm.
Name and explain five safety practices you should
always follow while fishing.
Discuss the differences between two types of fishing outfits. Point out and identify the parts of several types of rods and reels. Explain how and when each would be used. Review with your counselor how to care for this equipment.
Demonstrate the proper use of two different types of fishing equipment.
Demonstrate how to tie the following knots: improved clinch, Palomar, turle, blood loop (barrel knot), and double surgeons loop. Explain how and when each knot is used.
Name and identify five basic artificial lures and five natural baits and explain how to fish with them. Explain why baitfish are not to be released.
Do the following:
Explain the importance of practicing Leave No Trace techniques. Discuss the positive effects of Leave No Trace on fishing resources.
Discuss the meaning and importance of catch and release. Describe how to properly release a fish safely to the water.
Obtain and review the regulations affecting game fishing where you live. Explain why they were adopted and what is accomplished by following them.
Explain what good outdoor sportsmanlike behavior is and how it relates to anglers. Tell how the Outdoor Code of the Boy Scouts of America relates to a fishing sports enthusiast, including the aspects of littering, trespassing, courteous behavior, and obeying fishing regulations.
Catch at least one fish and identify it. If regulations and health concerns permit, clean and cook a fish you have caught. Otherwise, acquire a fish and cook it.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10879441 05/29/15 01:03 AM
N
Newly Retired Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Scott,
Thanks for taking an interest in young men through Scouting. As you are probably aware the scouts have a Fishing Merit Badge booklet that will assist anyone teaching the badge. There is much that TFF members could share that the scouts will certainly enjoy. The requirements are clear and nothing more should be required but TFF members could certainly add a lot to the learning and fun. That is what it is all about.
I have been collecting some small tackle for young boys that do not have any of their own and would be glad to help.

Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Newly Retired] #10879491 05/29/15 01:22 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Newly Retired
Scott,
Thanks for taking an interest in young men through Scouting. As you are probably aware the scouts have a Fishing Merit Badge booklet that will assist anyone teaching the badge. There is much that TFF members could share that the scouts will certainly enjoy. The requirements are clear and nothing more should be required but TFF members could certainly add a lot to the learning and fun. That is what it is all about.
I have been collecting some small tackle for young boys that do not have any of their own and would be glad to help.

Thanks! I am new to Boy Scouts, but served as a Cub Scout Den Leader for the past 5 years. It's been more rewarding than I could have imagined. I will definitely reach out to you, should The need arise for supplies. My first path is to approach manufacturers (I'm thinking beetle spins, top water poppers, worms, etc.). No need for them to get fancy with it just yet. Will also be working with them on 'live bait' methods, but lure fishing will be accentuated. I work near the National Scouting Museum and Store in Irving, TX, and plan to pick up the merit badge book as well. I agree that many TFF'ers have much to share, and likely many were Scouts as boys themselves.

Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10879514 05/29/15 01:36 AM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
You got this. It's pretty self explanatory and one of the easiest merit badges to obtain and ,imo, teach of you fish.
Where are you having summer camp?

Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10879526 05/29/15 01:41 AM
J
jlp1 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I taught this merit badge about 20 yrs. ago. Looks like they have updated the requirements.I made it through scouts up thru the Life badge, still regret not getting my Eagle. It was a fun badge to teach since I've fished and hunted all my life. The Scouts are a really quality organization.

Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10879740 05/29/15 03:02 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Summer camp for these boys (they are mostly younger boys) is relatively nearby at Lost Pines Scout Camp on Lake Bastrop (no, not the one that had the Dam breach and drained). I'm looking forward to teaching this badge to the Scouts.

Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #11034956 08/11/15 03:11 PM
N
Newly Retired Offline
Angler
Angler
N
How did the merit badge classes go this summer?

Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #11035613 08/11/15 08:11 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
... nothing on bait?

If the theory is be prepared... then why not have them exsplain/do a full "emergency" situation?

make hand line, catch cricket/grasshoper/whatever for bait, catch fish....

Tenderfoot on the bank wouldn't have a rod and reel probably...

knot knowledge for the badge is WAY tougher than when I took it. But I think i had to catch/id 3 fish...

also making an emergency hook from whatever is around would be good...

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Boy Scouts - Teaching the 'Fishing Merit Badge' at Summer Camp [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #11036025 08/11/15 10:39 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
30 years ago I earned this merit badge. It didn't mention anything about catch and release back then!
Good man for working with these young men.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide