Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: DTX Angler] #10875800 05/27/15 06:29 PM
R
rxkid2001 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: DTX Angler
Originally Posted By: meP2too
it would be interesting to find out which local guides tutored which pros with information, and then see how they did.

remember every community hole has that certain sweet spot, that we "weekenders" never find, and if we do we rarely take notice.

First off I don't think that's legal to hire a guide before such a big tournament like that. Second of all these pros don't need guides. They would out fish most guides on fork any day.

They're not soposed to get info from others but several are rumored to frequently. I. Think most guides on fork would beat them. They still put clients on fish with those pros on the water.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: rxkid2001] #10875808 05/27/15 06:33 PM
S
Shawn Mead Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: rxkid2001
Originally Posted By: DTX Angler
Originally Posted By: meP2too
it would be interesting to find out which local guides tutored which pros with information, and then see how they did.

remember every community hole has that certain sweet spot, that we "weekenders" never find, and if we do we rarely take notice.

First off I don't think that's legal to hire a guide before such a big tournament like that. Second of all these pros don't need guides. They would out fish most guides on fork any day.

They're not soposed to get info from others but several are rumored to frequently. I. Think most guides on fork would beat them. They still put clients on fish with those pros on the water.

Most guides did not fish with clients during the event. That's all I am gonna say about that.

Lake Fork Mafia
Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10875829 05/27/15 06:42 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Anyone of those pros could come to your local lake that has tons of local guides and probably beat you and your guide up and down and back around they are crazy good. Not saying our local guides arn't talented but man those pros are on another planet. Now idk if the pros would be any good at helping you catch fish, they can take you to a honey hole or have a pattern dialed in. But you still have to be as fine tuned as them to catch their fish.

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10876347 05/27/15 09:45 PM
S
Shawn Mead Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
The first TTBC was a team event....and the top guides at the time shined. Not to mention Kelly Jordon who was a Lake Fork guide not long before the inception of the TTBC. Lance Vick and team won it all if memory serves me correctly.

Lake Fork Mafia
Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10876390 05/27/15 10:01 PM
M
manhunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
My son and I went to Fork Saturday and ran to an area where I told him we wouldn't see another boat (or a pro for that matter) all morning. We ran in there and sure enough not one other boat. He asked why and I said you don't have to be all over each other on Fork to get bit. Within an hour we had a 25 lb sack. He was amazed that we didn't have to be "where the pros" were to catch fish. When you get down to it, it's a mindset and having the confidence to do what you believe in. You can have all the fancy do-dads on your boat but in the end doesn't catch fish. You do.

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10876669 05/27/15 11:58 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Fork is tough 50% of the time.

When our club fishes it seems like there is always a couple that get skunked. Or once in a while when nearly all gets skunked. Even with the help of the co-angler sometimes you just can't figure it out.

For me this year has been my best in the last several. I have not been skunked as yet. Maybe tomorrows tournament will be. I am sure they are pulling water out the dam which usually means slow or no.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: Mark Perry] #10877048 05/28/15 01:54 AM
P
Paparon Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Just reinforces the fact that I suck at fishing.

Something I could see myself saying but never hear from Mark Perry, come on now, say it isn't so...

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10877123 05/28/15 02:14 AM
C
CapN Ron Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Some of them got info, but before the off limits. However, I very seriously doubt anything anyone was told before this event helped at all. They all have chips on their graphs. Anyone at that level can find any point on a chip and graph it. Some of them figured out the keys to catching the right fish....or found schools others didn't. Not easy, they're that good! It's fishing. I promise, if there are 60 boats in the water you'll get 50 different reports about the day!

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10877563 05/28/15 11:35 AM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Here is a very easy correlation ........
Can you shoot under par on a golf course ?
Can you shoot -12 for a 4 day tournament ?
if you could you would be a professional

Can you catch 30# sacks of fish every time you go to a lake, any lake ?
Can you turn in 90# of fish for a 3 day fishing tournament ?
if you could you would be a professional

The issue arises when you "think" you are that good.
There is a fine line between those that can & those that think they can & those that wish they could.
why do you think there are so many "amateur" fishing (golf) tournaments.

if I could only fish as good as I golf.

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10877610 05/28/15 12:10 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Excellent analogy.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: Shawn Mead] #10877622 05/28/15 12:17 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: Shawn Mead
The first TTBC was a team event....and the top guides at the time shined. Not to mention Kelly Jordon who was a Lake Fork guide not long before the inception of the TTBC. Lance Vick and team won it all if memory serves me correctly.

Shawn, it was the first two that were team events. Big Show, Chris Daves, Frank Ippilotti and James Niggemeyer won the first one with 224 lbs+ in 2007. I think KJ's team finished 2nd. The first three names had never been to Lake Fork and James was still a developing pro. Terry asked KJ for help, just one creek and KJ said go to Big Mustang. That's all Kelly told him. Terry found a school of fish in the back of BM that carried them to victory. I think all but 2 of their fish came from that spot. Most of the Fork guides including James and KJ had NEVER fished that spot. So say what you will, but point one of these 'machines' like Big Show in a direction and he will dissect it and find all the sweet spots in a couple days of graphing, SI and a little fishing.

KJ, Lance, David Walker and Dave Smith won the next one.

I'll relay another story about the first TTBC at Conroe. I have a close friend who is one of the best tournament anglers on the lake. He has tons of brushpiles and other waypoints for PVC, ledges, rock piles, drains, etc. He was interested to see how much of 'his' stuff the pros would find. By the second day of practice, there were/had been pros on every one of his spots and the tournament was won off several of his milk runs. I think Brian Snowden won that one.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: fouzman] #10877746 05/28/15 01:09 PM
S
Shawn Mead Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: Shawn Mead

Shawn, it was the first two that were team events. Big Show, Chris Daves, Frank Ippilotti and James Niggemeyer won the first one with 224 lbs+ in 2007. I think KJ's team finished 2nd. The first three names had never been to Lake Fork and James was still a developing pro. Terry asked KJ for help, just one creek and KJ said go to Big Mustang. That's all Kelly told him. Terry found a school of fish in the back of BM that carried them to victory. I think all but 2 of their fish came from that spot. Most of the Fork guides including James and KJ had NEVER fished that spot. So say what you will, but point one of these 'machines' like Big Show in a direction and he will dissect it and find all the sweet spots in a couple days of graphing, SI and a little fishing.

KJ, Lance, David Walker and Dave Smith won the next one.

I'll relay another story about the first TTBC at Conroe. I have a close friend who is one of the best tournament anglers on the lake. He has tons of brushpiles and other waypoints for PVC, ledges, rock piles, drains, etc. He was interested to see how much of 'his' stuff the pros would find. By the second day of practice, there were/had been pros on every one of his spots and the tournament was won off several of his milk runs. I think Brian Snowden won that one.

Wow....you have a great memory. Thanks for the history lesson Mahfouz.

Lake Fork Mafia
Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: TXBeerHunter] #10877764 05/28/15 01:13 PM
Kevin Sharp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: TXBeerHunter
Interesting thing is the lack of overs. I think we would love to be able to count our slot fish. It doesn't happen a lot, but there are days where you can get on 8 slot fish or so in a day with a few unders sprinkled in. Doing it three days in a row, that's a different story. But fishing a tourney at fork makes you fish different. You target unders, and then go for an over, or focus solely on overs. Different rules, different approach.

It wasn't uncommon for the guys to catch a big fish and throw it back without measuring it. They feel if they throw it back maybe they can catch it again later.

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10877765 05/28/15 01:13 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I just wish all you deep water guys would get the heck back out there soon. There are no shallow fish. Please let me have the 3-4 fish that live shallow. roflmao

Last year when all the hype was on the deep bite no one was talking about how crazy the frog bit was. This year with all the flooded cover its a no brainer to chunk one and they have seen 1000s by now.... grin

Re: lake fork fishes tough...huh? [Re: basscat dad] #10877768 05/28/15 01:15 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: basscat dad
i was just looking at the final weights for the ttbc and the top ten guys weighed in over 780 pounds of greenery for the three days. that can't be right! i see posts all the time here of guys fishing for ten hours and only getting two bites, or "fork kicked my butt again, or iconelli only gets five fish in three days of prefishing etc. etc. what's wrong with us?? granted these ten guys are pros, but they show up and fish in god awful conditions and boat almost 800 pounds of bass!! say what?
i hate to tell you guys but it's not lady fork that's the problem...it's us. may as well admit it, we suck at fishing!
i'll never blame the lake again for a bad day. i wonder if the crappie are biting?
hello everybody. i'm bcd and i'm a terrible fisherman. i hope that gets my recovery off to a good start.
way to put on a show guys!

I could not agree more sir!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide