Print Thread
Advice on Colorado trip #10828325 05/08/15 04:17 PM
D
DuckSlayer60 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I am planning a trip to the Avon/Vail area of Colorado for September. I've never been before. I would like to do a self-guided three day wade fly fishing trip on the Eagle, Gore, and Brush creek. Maybe ending up at Sylvan lake. Since I have no experience in this area, I would appreciate any advice.

Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10828575 05/08/15 05:58 PM
T
Texjbq Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I'm planning a trip there in August. I'm doing a self-guided trip into the Eagle Nest Wilderness with pack Llamas. I'll mainly be hitting lakes.

I have backpacked up the Gore creek trail and camped at Gore lake. I didn't fish it but it looked good. The Gore range is absolutely stunning. Their my favorite mountain range in Colorado and I've backpacked in most of them. In terms of beauty I'd focus my time there. According to my Llama guy most of the lakes have excellent brook trout fishing.

Gore Creek:

Gore Lake:

Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10828745 05/08/15 07:12 PM
D
DuckSlayer60 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
that looks awesome. Please let me know how you do in August. I will definitely check out the Gore creek trail. Thanks!

Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10841111 05/13/15 04:32 PM
M
Markac2688 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
This place look awesome! If there is any fishing there please pm me. I am looking to take a fishing trip soon

Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10841540 05/13/15 06:45 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
There is an active fishing forum in Colorado - you can join free and ask questions of the local fishermen. They'll be able to give you current and accurate information from personal experience: http://www.fishexplorer.com/co/fxrforum.asp

I'm on the Texas site of this forum and the Colorado folks are awesome.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10855399 05/19/15 04:39 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I have fished the Gore and Eagle several times. I admit I have not gone on the Gore trail or up high. The Gore from the confluence with eagle upstream past the golf course is loaded in the summer. I caught a grand slam last August in about 30 minutes, within sight of the freeway and right along Eagle/Vail golf course. Lots of Brookies and Cutts with some browns and rainbows too. Those Colorado river cutties are spectacular. The Gore goes into the mountains along the trail that was mentioned above. Mostly Brookies and Cutts there.

Eagle will be great in September. Low flows will be awesome! Its a decent size river, be careful. Some big Rainbows and Browns that time of year. Browns are in pre-spawn and rainbows are following them ready to gorge. The Eagle is best near Wolcott if you ask me.

The confluence of the Eagle and Gore is the primo area. Lots of deep water and holding fish.

Have fun - look forward to your report!

Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10857588 05/20/15 11:26 AM
F
flydoc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Other options in the area....
Blue river below Lake Dillon --tailwater with 10lb bows and good downstream --mysis shrimp,rs2,midges, bwo

Frying Pan below Ruedi Res --tailwater stud bows -- same flys

Roaring Fork Basalt to Colo River

Colo. R -- Glenwood to Silt great float trip or hit the rapids in town

Spinney Mtn Res -- My homebase for big bows avg. 20"++ on big drys June - Sept// About 1 hr south of Vail

Good Luck and tightlinez

Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10875654 05/27/15 05:36 PM
D
DuckSlayer60 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Thanks guys! This is great info/advice and I will definitely use it. I will let you know how I do.

Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #10879741 05/29/15 03:02 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I would have second the pan is really hard to beat stud bows and browns. Mysis sure but we killed them on parachute ants under the trees small hairs ears and San Juan worms. The worms were only used at the toilet bowl. When A local told me you see all these guys using six and 7X I'm using 4X and the Swiftwater with the San Juan worm worked really well just needed four panfish size split shot to get it down. I obviously didn't have any that big on me but he was nice enough to give me a small handful I actually carry them now on my fly gear.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Advice on Colorado trip [Re: DuckSlayer60] #11129878 09/27/15 02:14 AM
D
DuckSlayer60 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I love September! Opening of hunting season and time to go to Colorado for trout fishing.

This report is the perspective of a fly fishing novice. My experience consists of going to the Lower Mountain Fork a half dozen times, fishing the Texas winter trout stocking, and the spring sand bass run. Also, I am NOT a photographer. Between trying to land the fish, take a picture with my cell phone, and release the fish without injury left me with only a few poor quality pictures. I missed pictures of a big brown, a cutthroat at Sylvan Lake, a brook trout and most of the rainbows.

1. Didn't know if I wanted to wear waders or just fish from the rocks. So I bought a pair of Keen Kovens. These are a lightweight hiking mid-top shoe. They are also waterproof, which is a big plus. The soles are firm with a good arch so I was able to walk along the rock all day long without slipping or making my feet sore. I have trouble finding shoes that don't hurt my feet (I have plantar fasciitis) and I can recommend these for hiking and fishing. I brought my waders but ended up not using them. The weather was warm and I didn't feel like messing with them.

2. My wife and I planned this as a 3 day 4 night trip. We flew into Vale/Edwards, which is really cool. We landed right in the Rockies with the sun setting. The picture doesn't do it justice. The airport is small and constructed like a hunting lodge. Much better than flying into Denver.

3. We stayed in Avon right on the Eagle river. There is fishing all along the Eagle. I fished each morning for a few hours while my wife slept in and relaxed.

Note: I stopped at every fly shop we passed to buy a half dozen recommended flies and get some tips. None of the flies or advice paid off. The flies that worked the best for me were #22 elk hair caddis, green bead head emerger, and black wooly bugger. I fished the same stretch of the Eagle every morning with the same flies. Day one and day three I had followers and no takers. On day two I caught a big brown on the elk hair early. Then I caught another brown and several rainbows on the black wooly bugger. Not sure why they were more aggressive day two, but I am glad I was there to experience it.

4. In the afternoon we would stop at one of the many craft breweries for a couple beers and usually wings or sliders. Then on to the next fishing destination. We went to Sylvan Lake where I caught a brook trout and nice size cutthroat... again no picture. Apparently the lake also sports some big brown trout. There was a picture of a kid who caught a 28 inch brown. The fall colors were amazing. I was hoping to see a moose or elk but not this time.

5. Day two more beer... We drove to Edwards for lunch. Then just stayed in Avon so my wife could fish the town lake. Colorado is very fishing friendly. Most people fly fish, but they allow conventional gear and lures. My wife fished the lake with a super duper and was catching rainbows so fast, I never had a chance to fish. This is a great area for kids to fish. They rent paddle boats and fishing gear. There is a band shell, grass field, playground, and volleyball court.

6. Day three we drove to Silverthorne to fish the blue, visit the outlet mall (and fly shop), and then on up to the Green Mountain Reservoir. We just fished from shore and the lake is big. We should have fished the river into the lake or tried to rent a boat. No fish caught this day but the drive and being outdoors was great. Oh yeah, we also had more beer.

This was a great first trip for a new fly fisherman. I am sure I made all kinds of mistakes and probably could have caught more fish with a guide. But I enjoyed exploring on my own and learning. The fish I caught were very special and I am already thinking about going back. I pinched the barbs on the wife's super duper and we safely released all the fish we caught. Only one swallowed the super duper so we took it back to the condo for dinner. I generally don't care for eating trout. But I think that is more the result of eating Texas Winter Stockers. I find them to be too mushy without flavor. However, this Colorado trout was very good. It cooked up firm and tasty. The town of Avon is quaint and quiet (in the off-season). The last week of September - the first three weeks of October is a great time to see the fall colors, avoid the summer crowd, and get deals on airfare and lodging. If you decide to go, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide