Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Canyon and Medina #10870282 05/25/15 12:25 PM
Rickmb Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I fished a tournament on Canyon yesterday. When we started in the morning it was -.14 ft. When we finished at 12:30 it was about 4 ft over! It was amazing to see all of the different water colors in the lake. There was a line in the distance on the surface about mid lake where the water changed to brown with a lot of debris. Through the morning we watched in it head further down the lake. Parks are now under water as well as some small structures people build at the water line. One guy parked his kayak trailer at the water line in the morning and at noon they were pulling it out with a tractor. By 1:00 they were shutting down the ramps and closing many parks. Now Canyon is almost 10ft high.

Medina is in great shape now. It's amazing how much the lake has come up! -35.62 feet now and still rising I'm sure all of those floating docks are now floating all over the lake. I'm sure there is a ton of debris making it very dangerous to operate a boat.
The marinas have to be scrambling to keep up with the rise. I can't wait to get back on there again! Fish or no fish it's a beautiful lake that is 12 minutes from my house.

2018 Skeeter ZX250
2018 Yamaha 250 SHO
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Canyon and Medina [Re: Rickmb] #10870797 05/25/15 04:55 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Great news for both water bodies. coolio Rain is in the forecast for the next ten days with a good chance of some heavy showers today. eeks Hopefully our water bodies will stay full for awhile. Good lake management will go along way! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Canyon and Medina [Re: banker-always fishing] #10870884 05/25/15 05:32 PM
S
savntay Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Great news for both water bodies. coolio Rain is in the forecast for the next ten days with a good chance of some heavy showers today. eeks Hopefully our water bodies will stay full for awhile. Good lake management will go along way! thumb

Let's all hope for "Good lake Management"!!!!

Last edited by dee1woods; 05/25/15 05:41 PM.
Re: Canyon and Medina [Re: savntay] #10873721 05/26/15 09:41 PM
Rickmb Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: dee1woods

Don't get me started......
Canyon seems to stay relatively stable. Medina on the other hand needs management help. That will not happen until the assessment is made and realized on the value of a full lake to the economic development of the area and find alternate ways of supplying water for agriculture. Creative and open minds need to be brought to bear on this.

2018 Skeeter ZX250
2018 Yamaha 250 SHO
Re: Canyon and Medina [Re: Rickmb] #10873875 05/26/15 11:06 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Rickmb

Canyon seems to stay relatively stable. Medina on the other hand needs management help. That will not happen until the assessment is made and realized on the value of a full lake to the economic development of the area and find alternate ways of supplying water for agriculture. Creative and open minds need to be brought to bear on this.

That lake has been mis-managed from as long as the lake has been there. "It's our water and we'll use as much as we want, and then some!"
Now that SAWS has a major role in the use of the lake I hope they will manage it like it should be managed.

Just one more cast!

Re: Canyon and Medina [Re: Jimbo] #10873970 05/26/15 11:51 PM
W
Will.i.am Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Originally Posted By: Rickmb

That lake has been mis-managed from as long as the lake has been there. "It's our water and we'll use as much as we want, and then some!"
Now that SAWS has a major role in the use of the lake I hope they will manage it like it should be managed.

I remember reading that saws the major player in why it got so low, the aquifer was low and entering more water restrictions so they turned to other water sources and Medina was that source.

Re: Canyon and Medina [Re: Will.i.am] #10874144 05/27/15 01:09 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Will.i.am

I remember reading that saws the major player in why it got so low, the aquifer was low and entering more water restrictions so they turned to other water sources and Medina was that source.

SAWS has got a far reaching hold on just about all the water available north south east and west. When I travel to different areas of the city where I haven't been in some time it blows my mind as to how much developement has taken place in such a short amount of time.
I look around and continue to wonder where in the heck are all these people are coming from? It's crazy, and all I see is more and more construction going up.
It's a wonder any of our lakes will have water in them in the years to come and it can't help but to get worse.
Not trying to sound negative, but Medina is an old lake that has a history of being down more than it's been up. Also the possibility of us suddenly getting more rainfall per year from now on a regular basis probably isn't going to happen either.
With population increasing daily and everything else being same ole same ole, it's not looking good for old Medina.

Last edited by Jimbo; 05/27/15 01:44 AM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Canyon and Medina [Re: Jimbo] #10874280 05/27/15 01:56 AM
Rickmb Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
True, but SAWS also has that huge aquifer southeast of town and a new pipeline. That may leave Medina for the last resort. Agriculture is the number one user of water from Medina. It is estimated that 80% of the water taken for agriculture never hits a field. The way to combat this is to get rid of the canal system and go with underground pipelines. Water could be fed from multiple sources. How do you pay for it? Fees and taxes. If the land is developed, as it will anyway, revenue would come from that and property taxes. I'm not opposed to a use fee that goes to pay for water infrastructure if it keeps a full lake. Medina will always fluctuate some as the water shed is small but it will be more stable than 30 ft drops in a year.

2018 Skeeter ZX250
2018 Yamaha 250 SHO
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide