Appreciating Fishermen and Country Folks #10866017 05/23/15 04:39 PM
T
TXBatman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Good Morning All,

As most of us know, our beloved USA is going through a significantly trying time where race relations are concerned. There are idiots on ALL sides of this issue who have done NOTHING but fan the flames of hatred and distrust! Sometimes, I suspect that this is all part of some sick, evil design by [whomever] and for WHATEVER! But most of us will agree that our nation is in dire need of healing, lest it (we) implodes upon herself! This healing, has to begin with SOMEONE! And who better to initiate such healing than fishermen/fisherfolk (a little PC in action..Hahaha!)?

Forgive this post for not containing any fishing information, but I wanted to take a moment to express my appreciation for fishermen and country folks. EVERYWHERE that my brother and me have towed our Skeeter, we have been treated with courtesy, respect and eager friendliness by other anglers and locals. There are no friendlier, non-presumptuous folks than fishermen and country folk! Whether it was a friendly offer of fishing tips, or the jovial welcome of the operators of one of the good 'ol "Mom and Pop" Filling Stations (You know! The ones that serve the delicious greasy hamburgers and awesome fried chicken!!). Yes, there is a difference in a Filling Station, and a mere gas station...but that's another topic!

In these places, the folks (and I'm speaking of white people), are ALWAYS very welcoming to us. Keep in mind that a lot of those little towns are predominately white. And all of our experiences have been great. From Lake Fork, to Ray Roberts, to Richland Chambers, Tawakoni, Possum Kingdom, Squaw Creek (Glen Rose) and many more....nothing to report but good! Anyone that knows me, will testify that I have NEVER carried a race card! I was not raised that way....And I'm from the Deep South (Louisiana/Mississippi). My wife and me are blessed to make a VERY good living. And our appearances herald that! However, we HAVE noticed subtle signs of pause and presumption at various times and places! But all of these times in places were in urban and metropolitan settings, and from people who at least appeared to be modernists and/or professionals. But this NEVER happens with fishermen or country folks. The closest we ever came to an experience of presumption was the time that we pulled the boat to Lake Fork to do some bass fishing. We stopped at a little Bait and Tackle Shop, and as soon as we walked in, the nice lady behind the counter hurried over to the minnow tank, picked up the net and asked "How many you need hun?" Hahahahaha!! We both got a kick out of it, but we recognized that her eagerness to serve us showed that there was no aversion to our presence there! Needless to say, I bought a couple of the most expensive spinnerbaits in the place just to show what we were about!! Hahahaha!!

So, I just wanted to jumpstart the healing process by saying THANK YOU to all fisherfolks and country folks who love AND TREAT EVERYBODY with dignity, respect and courtesy. I'm sure that I've probably come across some on this forum at some point, so thank you especially. Forgive me if you see this post on the other forums, but since I fish for largemouth, crappie and sandbass, I would like for all to see it! Again, thank you for being the type of people that you are. For it is folks like YOU that make America the greatest nation on Earth! May God bless and keep you, and please know tah I am praying for everyone that has been affected in some way by the severe weather and floods that we have experienced of late. Again, THANK YOU!

Just Another American

"When in Doubt, SET THE HOOK!"
Re: Appreciating Fishermen and Country Folks [Re: TXBatman] #10866196 05/23/15 06:09 PM
D
DrWhiplash Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Batman oh so true and very will put thank you for sharing! If you ever fish Hubbard give any of the Ray Hubbard guys ( look for the RHSA logo in there signature ) a PM and will help put you on the latest hot spots!

Re: Appreciating Fishermen and Country Folks [Re: TXBatman] #10866263 05/23/15 06:40 PM
BlueTuna Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
There is a tendency to remember the best parts of our past and even to the point of revising our own histories and passing these renditions down to our kids. I look back with fondness at those moments in my own life and the best of my memories happened in those area you described TXBatman. I grew up in the race riots of the 60s there was nothing pretty about it, nothing there that I would care to pass down to my kids or grandkids. As I look back to my early teens as a white boy trying to survive in a neighborhood that preputated violence and hate I feel ashamed - embarrassed to say that I was a part of that. Surrounded by it I was a part of it. I had friends on both sides of the race issue but I did very little to speak out for what was right. As a young teenager I tried to find a venue to take a stand but back then there were nothing like the social tools and platforms we have today. There were no platforms to speak from, no opportunities to talk about the problems. We lived and worked together in neighborhoods that could go from semi peaceful to violence in seconds. That's my experience as a teenager.

The racial divide has been simmering for a long time in our country, we cannot escape the past, but we can resolve it. For me fishing is a great equalizer. There are always those few that can even ruin a day on,the lake, those types will always be with us. But for many of us the lake and fishing our are scared places, the places we retreat to, to find peace and solace. As a country we yearn for peace and resolution to this problem that has divided our country. What a difference we could make if we would just export the virtues of a day on the lake fishing. Fishing soothes the soul, I feel like fishing adds back to my life. What better part of ours lives to share with other people, take someone fishing, exhibit more patience with others, bring the virtues of our time spent on the water to new people we meet. Like Dr. Whiplash suggests, look out for the RHSA fisherman . . . I don't know about other groups on this board but I know about this group, we have a kindred spirit. We have one phrase that transcends age, color, background and zip codes. That is "Fish On!"

Last edited by BlueTuna; 05/23/15 06:46 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Appreciating Fishermen and Country Folks [Re: TXBatman] #10866456 05/23/15 08:20 PM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
TXBatman: Thanks for sharing! May God be with you and I hope to see you out on the water sometime.

Re: Appreciating Fishermen and Country Folks [Re: Dennis Christian] #10866464 05/23/15 08:23 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
TXBatman: Thanks for sharing! May God be with you and I hope to see you out on the water sometime.

Plus #1. Give me a shout if you are ever in my neck of the woods! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Appreciating Fishermen and Country Folks [Re: TXBatman] #10866561 05/23/15 09:09 PM
CHAMPION FISH Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Well said TXB. My life has changed for the better because of fishing. The relaxation it brings, the friends I have made, and just the plain fun of catching a fish. I have even noticed the game wardens seem to have a smile on their face.
Thanks for the post.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Appreciating Fishermen and Country Folks [Re: TXBatman] #10868005 05/24/15 01:21 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Good fun, smart read and thank you for taking the initiative, TXBatman. This greatest nation badly do need healings.

There are thousands of folks like you who experienced this goodness but won't make the headline news cuz it's boring? But it takes only one bad apple and the news and media are all over it. Cuz bad news generate the evil almighty $dollar$ and the "fan the flames" part is just automated. Doh!

I have to agree with you. It (healing processal) starts with Me, like what you are doing here. You iz one smart and wise fisherfolk smile

Also, you should target striped bass and hybrids also cuz you're missing out on great lake fishing, Batman! Lol.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide