60 Forums
853927 Topics
11200017 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#10860698 - 05/21/15 09:38 AM Fly Guides on Texoma
BoPro Online   content

Loc: Arlington, TX
I'm looking for guide for stripers on the fly sometime in June. Scott Bridgess doesn't guide for fly fishing anymore. I haven't heard back from Steve Hollensed as of yet. Carey Thorn maybe? Any other recommendations?

#10860758 - 05/21/15 09:56 AM Re: Fly Guides on Texoma [Re: BoPro]
2FlyFish4 Offline
Extreme Angler

Steve hollensed will put you on some fish.

#10862096 - 05/21/15 05:03 PM Re: Fly Guides on Texoma [Re: BoPro]
RexW Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Sherman, TX
If Scott has stopped doing fly fishing trips, then that pretty much just leaves Steve and Carey.

Occasionally, I'll see a guide comment about fly fishing trips, but I don't know how experienced they are.

My vote, I'd try to stay with Steve or Carey if possible.
Rex W
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
TFO Pro Staff

#10894876 - 06/04/15 10:41 AM Re: Fly Guides on Texoma [Re: BoPro]
TarponFly Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Dallas, TX
With the water being like strawberry milk, it's a no go right now. Might take 3 months for the entire lake to settle green again. We were getting them two weeks ago on the fly rod up to 8 lbs. most were 15-18 inchers with a couple overs thrown in per trip. I'm working on a video on the high water problems we are having.

As soon as the water clears up, we will be back full time again. I have not been at the lake in a week now. We have been pushing our trips day to day until we find some Clearwater to fish. With no rain, we should be fishing by next week definitely. If you are going to schedule a trip, I'd recommend closer to the end of June, without any crazy storms in-between.

If you tie flies, I highly recommend tying up a bunch of Game Changer flies. We pulled a 13 pound record out of the lake three or four weeks ago on the fly. Client chose to release it instead of turning it in as the new record. I will obviously supply you with poppers and streamers no problem. If you're going out on your own, I highly recommend that fly. I believe Casey, 2flyfish4 did a blog on this. Scroll down to the video and click on the picture.

Action on the fly is just amazing. Very easy to tie but time-consuming. You have to give it a haircut at the very end.

If you watched the video link, you can see how incredible the action is. It is my favorite fly ever. Almost better than the "Near Deere"

I also make my own poppers. The striper cannot stand it and absolutely annihilate it! Very light foam popper painted and Z-Poxy'ed . You can get them at Cabela's, Basspro, Barlow's. Comes with hooks and foam popper molds. All you do is put the hook in the popper and paint it whatever color then epoxy it then add the tail. Also a little bit time-consuming because you have to let everything dry a couple times. Or u can paint the popper and expoxy it. Then run your line through the popper and tie on a #1 hook that has the hook dressed with a marabou or deer hair tail. That way the hook is free dangling behind the popper. Every time u pop it, the hook will touch the end of the popper. When a fish takes it, you won't destroy the popper due to the hook is not attached directly to the popper. I find better hook ups that way and less twist offs. I also find that mashing the bar down results in better hook ups as well. Sometimes the barb will not penetrate through the fishes mouth or bone due to your Initial Hooksett is not that powerful to penetrate a barb in the fishes mouth. Keep the rod bent, and the fish won't get away. Plus without the Barb, results in less fish kills from the battles.

People have been asking me what I'm doing since I'm not at Texoma? Click on pictures below that r green and black.

99% of the fish you see in the video are all 16 to 21 inch white bass. Every night all night long catching 3 pound white bass with occasional 5 to 10 pound lunker black bass. The action is absolutely incredible. So I've been conducting night trips for the last week. Within five minutes of launching were on the fish. Watching these fish come up and eat your fly in the lights is super addicting.

Jeff landed this 8.32 lb Black Bass two nights ago while out night fishing with me. Amazing night fishing!

#10897439 - 06/05/15 10:52 AM Re: Fly Guides on Texoma [Re: BoPro]
BoPro Online   content

Loc: Arlington, TX
Thanks for the info Carey. Yea, it looks like it may be while for the lake to go down. In the meantime, I ordered the mats for the Game Changer and start tying!

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide