Forums59
Topics1,039,173
Posts13,960,362
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12620509 02/10/18 07:08 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Secret spots; but the shoreline is in the back ground somewhere. Ha..

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: Ken A.] #12620545 02/10/18 07:41 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Denny Crane
Here ya go Boys, Apologies to anyone that just had the Honey Hole Exposed!

This is just Mustang area, I have every cove and the entire lake...

Do ya think you could find a blurrier pic? roflmao

OMG and I still can’t see the contour lines. frown

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12620666 02/10/18 09:11 PM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D

Apologies, I couldn't get a cove by cove pic to focus... Deal With It. :-)

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12620781 02/10/18 10:46 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Now what ? popcorn

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12620838 02/10/18 11:25 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Now what ? popcorn

Looks like some areas hold some lunkers!

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: grout-scout] #12620853 02/10/18 11:35 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Now what ? popcorn

Looks like some areas hold some lunkers!

He missed the spot where I caught my 14.19 , roflmao

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 02/10/18 11:35 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12622251 02/11/18 09:25 PM
D
Denny Crane Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Go ahead and post the GPS Coords. or update the map with a RED Dot..... Big Dog. LOL

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: Denny Crane] #12622327 02/11/18 10:01 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Denny Crane
Go ahead and post the GPS Coords. or update the map with a RED Dot..... Big Dog. LOL

N32*52.1069 & W95*37.2837 but don't tell anybody ok ?

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12622446 02/11/18 11:13 PM
D
dobbin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
This is a very informative post but I have a question or 3. Back a page or 2 it was talked about a fishes air bladder and a comfort zone and how a fish would swim around a take dam to get to the cut and go through instead of over. Here comes the question. Fish that are suspended for what ever reason when they head for a point or hump will they stay at that depth when they get there? Would this be the depth one would start fishing the point or hump that the fish in open water are suspended? Does this make since or am I an old confused county boy?

Champion Jigs
Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12622456 02/11/18 11:21 PM
E
ElmoFlash Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Great information in this post. I can certainly see this helping narrow down a large body of water to a more manageable task of finding active fish.

Joe Mc

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: dobbin] #12622534 02/12/18 12:10 AM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: dobbin
This is a very informative post but I have a question or 3. Back a page or 2 it was talked about a fishes air bladder and a comfort zone and how a fish would swim around a take dam to get to the cut and go through instead of over. Here comes the question. Fish that are suspended for what ever reason when they head for a point or hump will they stay at that depth when they get there? Would this be the depth one would start fishing the point or hump that the fish in open water are suspended? Does this make since or am I an old confused county boy?

This is one example of noticing lots of suspended fish all over the lake. It is more noticeable during the Fall transition and migration of the Shad into the creeks with bass not far behind. This pattern has worked may times for me. We would run into as many coves that had major creeks in the back. As we made this run from one to the other, you would notice large schools of bait and suspended fish all around them. Not every cove would have this going on. It allowed us to pick the cove by seeing all the fish on the graph at a particular depth. Each cove that had fish moving to the back were all suspended at the same depth. If that was 10 ft., then that is the depth we would find fish feeding in those coves. We would pull up to a point about half way back and fish that depth as they would be connected to those points at the 10 ft. contour and feeding. I have done the same when they would be at 20 ft.. It seems that they pick their comfort zone for moving and following the bait fish; then just connect to the points at that depth to chase and feed.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12622844 02/12/18 02:43 AM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Just so I understand, the funnel points are only related to a "creek or river bed" correct ??
And does it matter as the the depth of that creek or river bed ?
Like Belton Lake, it has the Leon river running thru it, but mostly at 70-90 feet of water.

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: stratos1760dv] #12622901 02/12/18 03:21 AM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
Just so I understand, the funnel points are only related to a "creek or river bed" correct ??
Like Belton Lake, it has the Leon river running thru it, but mostly at 70-90 feet of water.

Yes they can be related to the creeks and river. All funnel points are not created equal. Of course some are better than others. It is the route that the fish take from where they live or their comfort zone as I call it. This is usually on the most irregular feature in that area; like a steep ledge on the bank of that creek or river channel. They follow this route daily to feed and for big fish that is as short of a distance as possible from where they live and usually suspend next to that ledge or irregular feature off shore. A creek, ditch or the channel right next to that feature provides that pathway to the shallow feeding ground.

Contours are everything to a fish's route to the shallows from their deep water comfort zone. There comfort zone is where they feel the safest and is where they disappear to during the day when the bite stops in the shallows and on the mid-range areas. The funnel point must be as close to the feeding and spawning grounds as possible. So you start your search just off the best shallow and mid-range areas. I work the deep water contours at many different times during the day to determine their deep water feeding pattern; as they will feed deep to avoid making the trip to the shallows if that is possible for them. These Contours must be the best IRREGULAR ones on the lake. Big fish only move toward a shallow feeding ground, stopping on their ambush spots until they are full of whatever they are eating; then they quickly return to their comfort zone which means they never make it to the shallow water area or even the mid-range area. The key here that tells me something up shallow is I catch lots of smaller fish. This means that the larger fish are near by and must be found deep just off those smaller fish areas. The upside to this is you can use side scan and down scan a lot to help you see these spots; so you need the best depth finders as possible to do this. It is also a must to have a Humminbird to go with the new trolling motor that will follow a contour out and around all these Funnel Points without you having to do it with the conventional equipment. This is about a $5,000 investment.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: Donald Harper] #12622978 02/12/18 04:18 AM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Yes they can be related to the creeks and river. All funnel points are not created equal. Of course some are better than others. It is the route that the fish take from where they live or their comfort zone as I call it. This is usually on the most irregular feature in that area; like a steep ledge on the bank of that creek or river channel. They follow this route daily to feed and for big fish that is as short of a distance as possible from where they live and usually suspend next to that ledge or irregular feature off shore. A creek, ditch or the channel right next to that feature provides that pathway to the shallow feeding ground.

Contours are everything to a fish's route to the shallows from their deep water comfort zone. There comfort zone is where they feel the safest and is where they disappear to during the day when the bite stops in the shallows and on the mid-range areas. The funnel point must be as close to the feeding and spawning grounds as possible. So you start your search just off the best shallow and mid-range areas. I work the deep water contours at many different times during the day to determine their deep water feeding pattern; as they will feed deep to avoid making the trip to the shallows if that is possible for them. These Contours must be the best IRREGULAR ones on the lake. Big fish only move toward a shallow feeding ground, stopping on their ambush spots until they are full of whatever they are eating; then they quickly return to their comfort zone which means they never make it to the shallow water area or even the mid-range area. The key here that tells me something up shallow is I catch lots of smaller fish. This means that the larger fish are near by and must be found deep just off those smaller fish areas. The upside to this is you can use side scan and down scan a lot to help you see these spots; so you need the best depth finders as possible to do this. It is also a must to have a Humminbird to go with the new trolling motor that will follow a contour out and around all these Funnel Points without you having to do it with the conventional equipment. This is about a $5,000 investment.

So in the picture attached, we have a funnel point (red arrow) above the arrow the lake opens up.
Then there is an intersection of creek channels (blue arrow) and a ambush spot after the creek channel turns to the west (other blue arrow)
And the shallow cove areas (green arrow) is where their comfort zone is ??

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Re: Funnel points, what did John Hope mean? [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12623103 02/12/18 11:48 AM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Actually your two green arrows are the better funnel points.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide