Print Thread
Have a specific question #10853764 05/18/15 11:46 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I'm researching kayaks that are close to 9 or 9 1/2' that weigh close to 40 lbs., at a cost that won't break the bank. I've read lots of specifications and reviews. I started off thinking I would only consider a sit-on-top kayak, but am beginning to think maybe I shouldn't rule out all sit-in kayaks. Stability is a big deal for me (I'm a senior citizen) and here is my specific question: Is a sit-in kayak more stable because a person's center of gravity is lower in the water than it is on a sit-on-top kayak, if all other things are equal, such as width of kayak, weight, length, design, etc?

From Academy, I see that a Heritage Feather Light 9'6", 40 lb., sit-in has good reviews, and an Old Town Vapor 10 Angler 10' kayak, 44 lbs, has extremely good reviews. Would really like to know if the sit-in lower center of gravity makes them a more stable than a similar sit-on-top. Any and all replies will be appreciated.

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10853846 05/19/15 12:19 AM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Primary vs secondary stability kind of like the difference between a bicycle and tricycle one you fall off of the other you fall with. If you have decent gravity and core strength the sit in is actually not bad, it all comes down to wants and needs and trying them to know your capabilities.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10853883 05/19/15 12:36 AM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Well, the specific answer to your question is yes. All other things being equal, ie, length, width, depth and type of hull, seat, the sit in will have a lower center of gravity and feel more stable to you.

I've found that in many cases you can push the capacity of a sit in more than a sit on top. I know nothing of the Heritage, but the Vapor isn't a bad kayak. But, if you're looking for stability and maybe a little more paddle-ability, you should widen your search. There are other, better options to be had.

Artie
Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10853957 05/19/15 01:15 AM
P
passinthru Offline
Angler
Angler
P
My first kayak was a cheap pelican sit in and it served me very well, but man, getting in and out of that thing compared to my sit on top is like night and day. I do agree the lower center of gravity makes a difference but i would rather chance falling off of a sit on top (which I haven't,YET) than to swamp a sit in (which I never did). I know alot of the sit ins made now have a larger cockpit area that should make entry and exit easier and some have nice seats in them now. Just my two pennies, good luck on your search!

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10854294 05/19/15 02:50 AM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Here's my situation for anyone that might be willing to offer help/advise to a person buying their first kayak:

I'm "way" up in age and sold my boat last year because I no longer had the strength and energy to use it.
My long-time fishing buddy has a tipsy little sit-in kayak and I want a kayak so we can continue fishing together.
We fish lakes, have one that doesn't allow motors, and have a few other small lakes that don't have much boat traffic when we fish week days.
If I wasn't wanting to fish with him, I'd probably buy a float tube instead of a kayak, may go that route anyway.
Whatever I buy must be light weight and "stable", no more than about 40 lbs., and not more than 9 1/2'.
I live in a one-car garage town home; only place to store a kayak is in lower level of back patio, after dragging it through the garage, storage room, and over a porch rail. (That's why it has to be light and not too long.)
I need to keep the cost down as much as "reasonable" for purposes I'll not bore you with.
A "slow" kayak will be OK, I won't be making long runs.

That's the picture. I'd be grateful to anyone that wants to recommend a specific kayak for me to consider.

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10854301 05/19/15 02:52 AM
D
DblNoob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Since I am more of a paddler than a fisher, my fleet is mostly all SINKs (sit in kayaks). While I have not paddled the Heritage I have paddled the Vapor and found the cockpit large enough that entry and exit were quite easy. I also found it to be well made, very stable and fairly fast, for the size. In all I found that it was a nice kayak, for the money.

That said, and to answer your question all things being equal (width, length, etc....) the SINK will have an advantage in speed, and weight, but since stability (initial and secondary) is more dependent on the kayak design one cannot safely say that one a SINK will be more stable than a SOT (sit on top)by just comparing the dimension of both without considering the design and purpose that the kayak was intended. In other words, the lower center of gravity of a SINK will not necessarily make up for a poor kayak design or compensate for a kayak design that was intended to be offer maneuverability at the sake of stability.

The one area that the SOT excels and the one area that should really considered when thinking about any kayak purchase is ease of re-entry in the even of that you end up in the water. Few people consider the possibility of becoming separated from their kayak, and fewer still consider that possibility when selecting a kayak, but it is wise to plan for that event, and even wiser to be prepared for it.

Simply put, it is much easier to get back ON a Sit In kayak than it is to get IN a SINK. While both take a certain amount of practice to master it simply takes much more effort and considerably more practice with a SINK. Just do a youtube search on kayak self rescue to get an idea of the ease of re-entry in both types of kayak.

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10855379 05/19/15 04:31 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
what you guys said makes perfect sense to me. You explained things that are a bit confusing in a way anyone would understand. Thank you for that. Now I will go on with my research with a better understanding of some of the trade-offs. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but will strongly lean toward finding a well designed sit-on-top fishing kayak that is suitable for a person like me, with emphasis on length, weight, stability, and cost. Thanks again.

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10856046 05/19/15 08:41 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
thumb some good advise offered IMO. If I could fit in a short lightweight sit in id probably go with an ascend 10. Over the 2 u mentioned. The seat Is much nicer and the layout if more for the angler.
BPS has them. Paddle boards are also nice. Academy sells a few of the lower end boards.
They are easy store and transport IMO. Good luck :-)

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10859149 05/20/15 10:08 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
You guys have been so helpful that I feel like I need to report back to you. I've spent a lot of time researching and considering kayaks, including asking questions that you graciously answered. After all is said and done, I've decided to settle on a float tube instead of a kayak. The primary deal killer for a kayak is lack of storage space in our town home. My age/energy level is also an impediment I can't ignore, as much as I would like to.

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10859188 05/20/15 10:30 PM
P
passinthru Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Whatever gets you on the water!

Re: Have a specific question [Re: SlowDown] #10859554 05/21/15 01:06 AM
B
Bass fro chop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler