Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post #10851994 05/18/15 11:42 AM
B
Blues Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Tom's post had me thinking of a topic that might be worth talking about. We've about played out the "my dough bait is better than your's" threads.

So after seeing Ken's post with big flatheads I figured, why not. I've caught big ones mainly by accident on big chunks of shad while fishing for blues, had 4 over 20lbs one day on shad.

I've targeted them with live perch and caught a few, no luck at all on bullhead for bait.

If you had to catch a flathead over 50lbs this week, how you gonna do it? Gear, bait, rig. Location if you want.

I'd be taking my blue cat stuff 6500 abu 30lb mono 50lb leader. Probably would use live perch on a Carolina rig or three way near some kind of wood, standing or sunk in 5-8ft near a deeper channel.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Blues] #10852078 05/18/15 12:49 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Man if your mandating 50 lb min id just bow out now. Ive been fishing for them for 20+ years and never broke 50. Got a few blues over 50, but my biggest flathead sits at 40.

If I was hunting one id do what I always do, which sounds like about your rig, and live perch. Fish around submerged creek channels.

Last edited by redchevy; 05/18/15 12:50 PM.
Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: redchevy] #10852116 05/18/15 01:05 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Man if your mandating 50 lb min id just bow out now. Ive been fishing for them for 20+ years and never broke 50. Got a few blues over 50, but my biggest flathead sits at 40.

If I was hunting one id do what I always do, which sounds like about your rig, and live perch. Fish around submerged creek channels.

I know a many of people that lived their whole lives and never caught a double digit bass either. Within 3 years I had 7 of em floppin on the boat! Lol! Just sayin... cheers

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Blues] #10852131 05/18/15 01:10 PM
B
Blues Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Ok 50 might be asking too much. Only landed one blue over 50 on RR in 10 years of serious fishing, so let's say 30+.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Blues] #10852247 05/18/15 01:50 PM
B
bankman72 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I think in order to find a 50 lb fish you'll have to go to a lake known for Aps. There are lakes with large populations of blues and some lakes seem to have more flatheads. I've seen several flatheads over 50 lbs pulled out of Lavon but never seen one that big out of Texoma. I know there are probably 50+ lb fish in most large lakes around here the problem is finding them in large enough numbers to have at least a chance of landing one in a lifetime.

As far as the rig thats what I would fish with. Large bluegill or perch live on a 3 way rig in stumps or timber. I'd probably hit up caddo park in Lavon when the ramp opens back up and work the creek channel. Lots of timber real close to that channel. Gives the big fish some cover to ambush bait.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Blues] #10852270 05/18/15 01:59 PM
B
Blues Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I agree, best to stack the deck in your favor. Choosing the lake or river would be the hardest part for me. I second guess myself too much when after big fish.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: OPTIMUS PRIME] #10852944 05/18/15 06:10 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

I know a many of people that lived their whole lives and never caught a double digit bass either. Within 3 years I had 7 of em floppin on the boat! Lol! Just sayin... cheers

I have fished my whole life and never caught a double digit bass. We don't bass fish very hard or often, at most a time or two a year. Couple years ago my mom caught 2 over ten lbs in about 10 minutes back to back. First one was a shocker, the second bit her hook with the line just hanging in the water over the side of the boat while she was texting a picture of the first. Sometimes we are a lot luckier than we are good.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: redchevy] #10853020 05/18/15 06:38 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME

I have fished my whole life and never caught a double digit bass. We don't bass fish very hard or often, at most a time or two a year. Couple years ago my mom caught 2 over ten lbs in about 10 minutes back to back. First one was a shocker, the second bit her hook with the line just hanging in the water over the side of the boat while she was texting a picture of the first. Sometimes we are a lot luckier than we are good.

Ok... Now that story was just down-right uncalled for!!!!
roflmao roflmao roflmao grin

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: OPTIMUS PRIME] #10853528 05/18/15 10:11 PM
K
kaboboom Offline
Angler
Angler
K
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I could use some related advice. I put a perch on a Carolina rig yesterday off the back of my sailboat at Bayview on Hubbard. My rig was not prepared for what happened as I had 8 lb leader. That bluegill danced around a while, which was entertaining, but I knew a real strike would behave a bit differently. When the rod started to bend a little bit more seriously, I fed some line then set the hook. Whatever I had made several strong runs (about 20 minutes worth), and I had trouble gaining ground. I finally got hung up (maybe on my own keel), and it broke off. I couldn't of landed it, though maybe if I had my net on the deck and stronger leader.

I never saw the fish...I don't think I even horsed him off the bottom much. So two questions: if I do this again (and I will), what kind of test should I be running? More than 20 lbs? Second question: did I just luck into a fish, or does hooking one tell you there are probably others around the same location (under the slips)?. My boat is sitting in about 23 ft of water.

I know these are newbie questions, but I've never tried for big cats before, and I want to do a better job next time. Thanks.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: kaboboom] #10853906 05/19/15 12:51 AM
B
Blues Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
30lb mono main, 24-30" 50lb mono leader is what I'd use. Probably was a big flathead and I'd bet there are plenty more under those slips and is worth trying again, but don't get stuck fishing in one area because it worked yesterday. That fish was probably just resting under the slips and very well could have winter'ed there. Him and a lot of others are probably feeding up shallower close by near some brush, timber, or other cover.
Originally Posted By: kaboboom
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I could use some related advice. I put a perch on a Carolina rig yesterday off the back of my sailboat at Bayview on Hubbard. My rig was not prepared for what happened as I had 8 lb leader. That bluegill danced around a while, which was entertaining, but I knew a real strike would behave a bit differently. When the rod started to bend a little bit more seriously, I fed some line then set the hook. Whatever I had made several strong runs (about 20 minutes worth), and I had trouble gaining ground. I finally got hung up (maybe on my own keel), and it broke off. I couldn't of landed it, though maybe if I had my net on the deck and stronger leader.

I never saw the fish...I don't think I even horsed him off the bottom much. So two questions: if I do this again (and I will), what kind of test should I be running? More than 20 lbs? Second question: did I just luck into a fish, or does hooking one tell you there are probably others around the same location (under the slips)?. My boat is sitting in about 23 ft of water.

I know these are newbie questions, but I've never tried for big cats before, and I want to do a better job next time. Thanks.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: kaboboom] #10854535 05/19/15 06:36 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: kaboboom

How was your drag set? Maybe it was a bit too tight?

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Blues] #10854650 05/19/15 11:52 AM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
To catch a 50 lb flathead you need a scuba tank some brown cotton gloves and go noodling. It ain't for sissys.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Muzzlebrake] #10854806 05/19/15 01:17 PM
B
Blues Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
To catch a 50 lb flathead you need a scuba tank some brown cotton gloves and go noodling. It ain't for sissys.

Meh ain't for me, I don't like swimming much and honestly would rather catch one on RR. If I just wanted to see a 50 I'd sew up a lake,that I know holds some giants, with trotlines.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Blues] #10854871 05/19/15 01:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Catfishing is my favorite. Out of the three targeted varieties we have yellas are far and away my favorite.

Re: Big Flathead on R/R: gear, bait, location post [Re: Blues] #10854929 05/19/15 02:00 PM
B
Blues Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
They would be my favorite too if they were more predictable and easier to target. I chase big blues because I can at least somewhat figure them out. I know there are hard core true flathead guys around and I've heard some of them call a good night 1 to 3 fish. That's a lot of work for a few fish a night but if they're over 30 I guess it'd be worth it

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide