Pond fishing guidance needed! #10853211 05/18/15 08:02 PM
W
Wwen Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Ok I will try to sum up all the details:
Pond is about half a football field in width. The bottom is very grassy to fairly grassy. No lilipads or anything like that on top of the water. So far all the spots I have fished are fairly shallow. However I see many LARGE bass jump out in the middle of the pond. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR WHAT LURES TO USE FOR THIS BOILING BASS? I've tried frogs, spooks, etc. Roostertails seem to work the best but can't cast those far enough frown Spinnerbaits are my #2 Not matter how hard I try I can't seem to cast a lure to the middle of the pond with my 6'6" M/F spinning rod. It is Rly frustrating. So far I have been resorting to casting spinnerbaits & roostertails along the shoreline catching small bass some from under 1 lb to 3lbs tops. I've been doing this with a M/F spinning rod and the fight is way too easy and short. Thus I'd like to try UL fishing.

Basically what I want is this:
1) a good setup that can cast as far as I want with spinnerbaits and lipless Crankbaits
2) a UL setup that makes catchig those small bass fun. Will be using roostertails(inline spinners
DO I NEED A BAITCASTER SETUP?

Also Needs to be able to use a wacky worm Senko and shaky head Roboworm. Which setup for this?

What I currently have:
6'6" Fenwick HMG M/F (will 7' make my casting distance much better?)
7'6" Fenwick HMG ML/F (what do with it?)

What should I get? I like to limit myself to two setups but maybe I need three?

Last edited by Wwen; 05/18/15 08:03 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853223 05/18/15 08:05 PM
U
Undertaker56 Offline
Angler
Angler
U
A longer rod like a 7'6 will make you cast go farther..

I'm the last one to let you down!!!

Yes I am a real Undertaker..
I will give up my rod when you pry my cold dead hands off of it!!!!
Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Undertaker56] #10853229 05/18/15 08:07 PM
W
Wwen Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Hi,
I currently already have a 7'6" spinning rod. Will a casting rod with baitcaster make me be able to cast much furthur?
What lures should I use?

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853260 05/18/15 08:25 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Soft plastics like a senko are streamline and will cast a long distance. When I need more weight I will use it on a Shaky head with a wide gap hook. I believe Owner makes one.

Your Fenwicks and spinning outfit are great no need to make changes there.

You might invest in a tube to get you off the bank. It will allow you to fish parallel with the shoreline also.

Bait Casters require some weight to throw. I like the Zebco 33 for pond fishing, but use them mostly in the ponds that are grown up with overhangs. Zebco also makes a reel that will carry a little heaver line. With the vegetation I just don't drop below 14 # test.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853296 05/18/15 08:44 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Drop shot with a 1/4 ounce weight... you can WING IT and it will stay above the grass

EDIT: upon further consideration... I think i need to test the pond myself before anymore advice can be given. Wouldnt want to lead you astray banana

Last edited by catslayer; 05/18/15 09:04 PM.

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853379 05/18/15 09:19 PM
L
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
What about a pair of waders?

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853390 05/18/15 09:23 PM
R
Roller22 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Over grass in small ponds and tanks I have had the most luck with weightless worms and senkos like Donald mentioned. I use a spinning rig with 8lb. test and can send a weightless worm on a 4/0 hook easily 40-50 yards. I Texpose it to keep it weedless.

My favorite is a Yamamoto 4" Shad Shaped Worm fished weightless and twitching it back.

I Thes. 5:16-18
Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853397 05/18/15 09:25 PM
S
Slide_R Online Sleepy
TFF Celebrity
Online Sleepy
TFF Celebrity
S
Jumping bass in shallow water ponds frequently turn out to be carp or other rough fish. Even in a feeding frenzy bass usually only boil at or near the surface, not an actual breach of the surface.

If these fish are actually bass then you might try a 1/2 oz. Little George. You can cast them a mile and they represent baitfish.

Just a tip:
Bass like edges - shoreline edge, weedline edge, dropoff, shallow to deep etc. If you want to up your percentage of catching bass , then try to effectively fish these areas with proven pond lures like small spinnerbaits, worm rigs or a jig.

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853399 05/18/15 09:26 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Take your 7'6" rod and Setup a Carolina rig with a 4-5ft leader. Tie on a fluke. You should be able to cast it a mile. Big Pops with your rod to make the weight hop and then let it rest for 5-10 seconds at a time....any type of twitch will make your fluke dance. If the fish are that active they will smash a fluke.

Other thing you could do is get a 1/2oz to 3/4oz buzzbait. You may also want to look into a Jig w/ underspin. You should be able to cast them a mile.

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Slide_R] #10853499 05/18/15 10:00 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Slide_R
Jumping bass in shallow water ponds frequently turn out to be carp or other rough fish. Even in a feeding frenzy bass usually only boil at or near the surface, not an actual breach of the surface.

I'm gona disagree bud... I have only seen rough fish(carp never seen a gar) in 1 pond in my whole life, and that was cause we PUT them there and i have never seen them jump... ok once, but i shot that one with a .22, Ponds aren't natural and most people wont stock carp and gar.... just saying

Also in ponds bass DO tend to jump more often for food. Most of the time this is an indication that they are underfed. They will skyrocket out at dragonflys most often, but many bass will breach for a frog. Most of the time fish from these ponds will have "big heads" from their body and be skinny... and typically will hammer any bait

If it were a LAKE, where you do have carp and gar I see what your saying but in a pond... not so much

Last edited by catslayer; 05/18/15 10:01 PM.

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: catslayer] #10853606 05/18/15 10:41 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: catslayer

I'm gona disagree bud... I have only seen rough fish(carp never seen a gar) in 1 pond in my whole life, and that was cause we PUT them there and i have never seen them jump... ok once, but i shot that one with a .22, Ponds aren't natural and most people wont stock carp and gar.... just saying

Also in ponds bass DO tend to jump more often for food. Most of the time this is an indication that they are underfed. They will skyrocket out at dragonflys most often, but many bass will breach for a frog. Most of the time fish from these ponds will have "big heads" from their body and be skinny... and typically will hammer any bait

If it were a LAKE, where you do have carp and gar I see what your saying but in a pond... not so much

Dude every pond in the Lewisville/FM/GV area has carp and gar in them. Maybe not in large #s but they're definitely in there. I'm pretty sure every pond I've ever fished has had carp in them. . .

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: timwins31] #10853625 05/18/15 10:49 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: timwins31
Originally Posted By: catslayer

Dude every pond in the Lewisville/FM/GV area has carp and gar in them. Maybe not in large #s but they're definitely in there. I'm pretty sure every pond I've ever fished has had carp in them. . .

where you fish? cause i've fished from cleburne to san angleo to college station in MANY private ponds and like i said only one that has carp or gar is the one we put triploid in... If the pond was built in the 40-60's when most of the "stock tanks" were built and stocked MOST only got game fish. I'd like to kill off all the catfish in ours...

Not saying it isn't possible, but far less likely that he is seeing them jump than if he was at the lake is all

Last edited by catslayer; 05/18/15 10:50 PM.

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Slide_R] #10853816 05/19/15 12:07 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

If these fish are actually bass then you might try a 1/2 oz. Little George. You can cast them a mile and they represent baitfish.

+1

Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10853863 05/19/15 12:25 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Well. From personal experience, NEVER fish a pond "like a pond", using exclusively "small fish" baits. Don't use Mepps and LittleGeorge type baits. And weeny, teeny senkos. Fish it like you would a lake full of big bass and you will catch the big bass. Simple. I do it all the time. I have caught a 12.9 from a pond close to my house and a 7+ out of another pond close by. All the pond "regulars" say they only catch 1-2lb ers. It's because they DONT KNOW HOW TO CATCH BIG BASS. lol.

Try some jigs with big ol fat craw trailers. Most pond bass haven't seen a real fisherman before. And the big bass didn't get big in a pond by chasing Mepps lures. Haha. Throw some REAL big bass baits and see whatcha catch. Also, treat it like the fish have "angler detectors". Cause they probably are very used to kids and rookies stomping around the banks. There is a reason the big bass are in the middle, out of reach. Try early in the morning. And stand WAY AWAY from the bank and cast into shore line cover. Trust me. The bass will draw up to the banks overnight...then scatter at the first sight or ground tremor (yes they can feel you walking up to the banks) from a pond fisherman.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Pond fishing guidance needed! [Re: Wwen] #10854003 05/19/15 01:29 AM
K
Knot at work Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Fish it at night with a dark colored bait. Ponds are always better at night this time of year. The bigger ones feed along the banks on ponds that get pressure

Last edited by Knot at work; 05/19/15 01:33 AM.

Lone Star Pool Care
Weekly service, repairs, installs, and sales
+1 (469) 344-9541‬‬

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide