facebook
Forum Stats
102741 Members
61 Forums
859438 Topics
11275283 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#10846290 - 05/15/15 09:35 AM Fly tying help?
Redfisher27 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Rockport TX
I'm a soon to be fly fisherman. Do any of you guys know techniques that I could use for fly tying?

Also when I'm fishing would it hurt to tie a steel leader to the end of the line?

#10846456 - 05/15/15 10:39 AM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
RexW Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Sherman, TX
For fly tying, find a way to get to New Braunsfels in two weeks for the Texas Expo and take a fly tying class. Then steal a chair and sit down with Mike for a couple of hours...

Don't tie a steel leader directly to the plastic fly line, you can tear up the fly line. There are ways of tying a bite leader to the regular leader, but they will make learning to cast more challenging. I would learn the basics of fly fishing before I'd suggest messing with one.

#10847160 - 05/15/15 03:56 PM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
Bowfin47 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: south Louisiana
Rex gave you excellent advice!

At the Texas EXPO you can spend two whole days sitting with the best tyers in Texas(and beyond).
You can ask them about their vises, tools, patterns, techniques, favorite materials, and on and on...

Most of those tyers will let you "put hands on" their vise, and you can most likely decide which one you vise would like. Note: There are a lot of vises out there and they're all a bit different... same with the tools, and learning which vise you want (and more importantly learning about any vise that you don't want!)...

You can spend as much time in front of any of these tyers as you'd like... and they'll all give ya' great advice and then you can move from great tyer to great tyer to great tyer... They will gladly show you their favorite TEXAS pattens, most of which are not sold commercially!

You'll learn more in those two days than in a couple of years on your own! I know, because that's what I did at my first Federation of Fly Fishers show...

Oh, and most will toss the fly that you watched them tie!! Whoo Hoo!

Additionally, you'll probably make a few friends while there...

You can also take free casting lessons, visit commercial booths with tons of materials, rods, reels and other gear... Many of those booths will have show specials" and there will be raffles and auctions,that you can participate in, if you so desire , and you could will a new rod, reel or gear! (I've won all those!)

Oh and you don't have to be a member to attend...

Here is the web site:

http://texascouncilifff.com/texas-expo-2014/

If you don't go... you'll miss a great time and great learning experience...

#10847874 - 05/15/15 09:52 PM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
Redfisher27 Offline
Extreme Angler

Thanks man, you guys help out a lot to newcomers for sure!

#10848385 - 05/16/15 08:44 AM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Silsbee (Southeast Texas)
Chase,
If you go to FlyAnglersOnline, and look on the left side bar, click on the "Fly tying" label, and inside that is a beginners label.
The late Al Campbell created the series of lessons about 10 years ago, and I have not found a better place to start. He gives advise on vices....ummm, vises (sorry), tools and teaches techniques. Once you have a few basic techniques in your arsenal, you can start looking on youtube to see how different people tie a particular fly. (A sidenote on youtube. Anybody can upload a video, so everybody does. Don't just look at one video of a particular fly, look at several and pick the one that seems the most helpful. Look for concise directions and make sure the directions and actions are the same. I saw one guy say take 2 turns of thread while he put 6 on the hook.)

Please be aware that fly tying is not a cheap hobby. Decent equipment and materials cost more, and are generally easier to use.
This is a very enjoyable pastime, with the benefits of not having to go out and buy flies, and of being able to modify flies for a particular piece of water. I like that I can tie when I don't have a chance to go fishing. Helps keep the cabin fever at bay, lol.

It is nice to see young folks taking an interest in what the old folks are doing.

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"

#10852253 - 05/18/15 08:54 AM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
Redfisher27 Offline
Extreme Angler

It would be helpful if maybe yall could put pics of how you guys tie stuff.
Like this, it is not a fly not I dont think.

#10852475 - 05/18/15 10:06 AM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
RexW Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Sherman, TX
The step by step instructions listed here should keep you busy for the next couple of years.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm

#10857290 - 05/19/15 10:37 PM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
COFF Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Carrollton
Originally Posted By: Redfisher27
It would be helpful if maybe yall could put pics of how you guys tie stuff.
Like this, it is not a fly not I dont think.

Forgive me being presumptuous, but I think this may be a beginners vocabulary mixup. The term "fly tying" refers to creating a fly by tying hair feathers or other materials onto a hook.

It sounds like you may be asking how to attach a fly to your leader. If that is the case, this is a good start: http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-fishing-knots

Edited by COFF (05/19/15 10:38 PM)
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

-Marcus Tullius Cicero, 63 BC

#10858458 - 05/20/15 12:35 PM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
chefmike Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Smithville, Texas
Thanks Rex..........yes I will be tying and giving a couple of presentations, please members stop by and say hi I will be tying on or near the Austin Fly Fishers tables
See you there
Mike..............

#10859318 - 05/20/15 06:28 PM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
TexasBassBuster Offline
Angler

Loc: Grand Prairie, TX
Youtube. or the BPS by me in Grapevine, TX holds fly tying class every Wednesday night at 7:00 PM
Im sure you could find one near you.

I really just lok at youtube for most of my stuff I tie. a guy by the nme of Davie Mcphail is a great tyer.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail

start off tying a wooly bugger (the most commonly used fly in my opinion) and branch off from there.

hope that helps.

#10985664 - 07/18/15 05:45 PM Re: Fly tying help? [Re: Redfisher27]
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Richland-Chambers
Check out the Orvis website. They have some fly tying videos online.

2013 Nautic Star 2110 Shallow Bay Boat

Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide