Print Thread
Toledo Bend And The Roadrunner Style Jigs #10832812 05/10/15 05:56 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Well I posted this fishing report, but thought I would also share it here just to show guy that even in deeper water before they go to the brush piles they can still be caught so here is my Toledo Bend Fishing Report!

The wind has been absolutely horrible! However I fished with my neighbor and we did pretty well considering we couldn't even keep the boat straight when trolling, but we did troll my little 1/32 Oz Roadrunner style baits. We fished in 16' water +- a few feet since the wind was blowing us all over the place. Still we fished 2 afternoons and one morning and we started the morning at 7 to 11 and then afternoons were 4:30 or 5 to 8. We ended up with 45 and some small, but some nice ones too. Got like 10 pound of filets from it that we split.

its hard to find places to get out of the wind even enough to fish reasonable, but we got behind a bank for some of our track, but still lots of time going sideways so only one of us could actually fish where they were. Other wise we would have had a good many more! Example was yesterday afternoon, one would catch and the other not even a bump because one was on line and other was off in deeper water. So instead of the 16 we brought in, it would have been probably close to double that.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
colors of Marabou plus other things![/color]

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Toledo Bend And The Roadrunner Style Jigs [Re: Skip_48] #10834407 05/11/15 12:03 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Thanks for the report Skip. Were you pulling the baits with no other weight on them or was there added weight? How far behind the boat were the baits?

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Toledo Bend And The Roadrunner Style Jigs [Re: Skip_48] #10834758 05/11/15 02:41 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Ken we used no added weight and no farther back than a regular cast with a 1/32 Oz Pony head (which in reality weigh closer to 1/24 than 1/32). So maybe 25' back from my seat?? When they are in the Hydrilla or around it they will be just hanging in there, but will come up and get that lure! I have done it way more than one time in as much as 20' of water after the spawn is done. Actually can do the same thing in fall if you find them like that.

Some of the best crappie fishing I ever had was at a spot where the hard bottom was 14' of water with very deep water on each side with lots of Hydrilla and it was fall of the year, late 1070's here on this lake. Every time I went and didn't matter if I took my wife or another good fisherman we could average 60 to 70 crappie per hour and I mean good ones too! All that was using the 1/32 Oz Original Marabou Roadrunner.

Skip

Last edited by Skip_48; 05/11/15 02:44 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer

Re: Toledo Bend And The Roadrunner Style Jigs [Re: Skip_48] #10835626 05/11/15 06:35 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Thanks Skip. That's very interesting for sure. Guess all that being stealthy doesn't really matter. These crappie are always fooling and surprising me.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Toledo Bend And The Roadrunner Style Jigs [Re: Skip_48] #10836686 05/12/15 01:01 AM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I must be doing something wrong; I never catch anything when using these. What is the technique? Please! My box has lots of these! hammer

Re: Toledo Bend And The Roadrunner Style Jigs [Re: DFW-fisherman] #10837740 05/12/15 02:10 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
I started long lining Roadrunners in the late 1970's and did so well I have never stopped when crappie fishing in spring and in fall if you can find a good supply of them then. Here is how I fish them....

First I always use the 1/32 oz size and note the 1/16 weigh way over a true 1/16 oz! So I know going slow these are not going to get very deep so I know that I can troll them even in like 4' water depth, but usually in spring I find them in 6' to 8' water depth holding and running back and forth to the bank. So I believe most are in the holding area for at least a couple months! First thing to do is locate exactly what depth of water they are in, be it 7 1/2' or 7' or what ever. Then I will cast out about as far as a normal cast with a 1/32 using a spinning reel will go and take off. Using my troll motor and sonar GPS I must control track and speed as off track and no bites or very few! Absolutely colors is most important along with speed. I always want to be around Hydrilla or some kind of grass I know they to like being in! Sometime here that also includes lots of stumps which is fine and if hung up just go back and pop it off the side it hung on and take off again.

It is a must that you find what water depth they are in because this is a place they will likey stay in unless there is a big change, like is year with them trying to keep out lake from being much over full pool and opening the flood gates which killed the normal fishing and all had to change and even did some casting to the shallow water to catch fish. However a normal year and this becomes a pretty easy way to catch crappie by the bunch!

Things that just have to be right!
Must know what depth of water they are in!
Color that is best normally and if change has come to water clarity then color will change too!
Speed you go using your TM! I usually will be between .2 and .8 MPH, but most of the lower speed this year especially when I found them in 9' of water and then now in 16' of water and if your off just a little, no bites!

You can do well with these just casting and reeling, but you have to learn to reel so slow it's a pain to keep it that slow!

Also know when trolling I use one rod in my hand! Now sometimes they will give that thump and you set hook normal amd feel nothing so you missed, think probably short strike? Well sometimes you have to swing you hook set very long to catch up to them after that thump so if that happens make sure to swing your rod as far forward as you can reach!

Almost forgot this....this type fishing for them is almost over for this spring, but here and now they can still be caught in 16' of water around Hydrilla! Now of you can find crappie in Hydrilla this fall in water 6' to 20' water depth around Hydrilla you should be able to clean up! I am going to post a picture from what happens when you find them when they first come in for the spawn and this was Super Bowl Sunday last year, like Feb 3rd?

We had 15 crappie that were over 15" long!

Let me know if you have any questions,

Skip

Last edited by Skip_48; 05/12/15 02:19 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer

Re: Toledo Bend And The Roadrunner Style Jigs [Re: Skip_48] #10838988 05/12/15 09:00 PM
L
larry mays Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
That is some nice crappie, I think the best top 15 I have seen this year. Good info on the Roadrunner.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide