Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
One Mans Trash #10833387 05/10/15 10:45 PM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Is another mans eyesore. The last time I went fishing was the long walk I made to reach an area that was so different than any other fishing area with public access I have been to in a very long time.
The wildflowers were painted the landscape, at one point I had walked far enough that the only sounds I heard were from the birds close by, I saw lots of deer tracks and those of many other critters that live close to the river.
The one thing that stood out to me and made the most positive impression was the lack of trash on the trail and on the banks of the water I was fishing. The water had both shallow fast moving areas and slow deeper areas to fish. Like most rivers and streams it had high banks making access difficult and low banks. But even in the areas with low banks were the footsteps of others who fished before me were freshly imprinted on the ground, there was very little trash to be found.
It is kind of sad when one of the most enjoyable and surprising things about a new fishing spot you learn about is not necessarily the number of fish that you can catch but that you can catch fish in a public access waterway and it does not look like a public dump.
There are still some places like that to enjoy, two well known places for the family to enjoy that are well maintained are Mineral Wells State Park and Squaw Creek. It sure makes for a different and more enjoyable outing when you don't have to see the left behind belongings of people that came before you who apparently missed the life lesson of picking up after themselves.
Thanks Mom/Dad for making me pick up my toys and things I dropped on the ground or floor. It has served me well in my life. thumb

Last edited by Mike Ryan; 05/10/15 10:48 PM.
Re: One Mans Trash [Re: Mike Ryan] #10833506 05/10/15 11:32 PM
D
DavisGuideService Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
That's the exact opposite at lake arlington ,there is a landfill south of I-20 that's washing thrash in the lake,and this last rain really loaded it up with trash(mostly plastic and styrofoam) I really wish the could adress this situation it's a really bad eyesorer and horrible for the inviroment.

Davis Guide Service
www.DavisGuide.com
817-983-8750
James Davis
Lake Whitney- Striper-white bass-Crappie
https://www.facebook.com/Davis-Guide-Service-159521764704170/
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
www.mrcrappie.com
Re: One Mans Trash [Re: DavisGuideService] #10833554 05/10/15 11:50 PM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Slabs,
That is bad. I live close to the Trinity River in Fort Worth. When I cant take a long day of fishing I often make the short drive to the Trinity Park area of the river and fish for bass. I can usually catch fish when I go there in the warm weather months. It is just a place to wet a hook and catch some fish when I am short on time. But it can also be an area that fishing there is not as enjoyable due to all the trash in the river and on its banks.
I understand things get away from folks. I have lost lure packages for example that got swept up in a high wind and got to the water before I could retrieve it, but when trash is left exactly where the folks that brought it in were fishing, that is the hard to understand situations for me to comprehend.
At Benbrook you can see spots where fisherman spent the night and had built a fire and close by will be beer bottles/cans or some other drink or food wrapping right were the left it before they called it a day.
On the mostly trash free spot that was so nice I spoke of earlier, there was one thing that really stood out and made me think what the heck happened here. About 75 to 100 yards from the nearest parking area and just off the walking trail was a television set. It had apparently arrived intact and at the spot were it lay was broken up with the guts of the tv separated from the screen both next to each other.
Who carries a television set into the woods and destroys it like that, why not just take out what you wanted and throw it in a dumpster if you don't want to take it to a recycling center, who does that slinger

Last edited by Mike Ryan; 05/11/15 02:33 AM.
Re: One Mans Trash [Re: Mike Ryan] #10833929 05/11/15 02:25 AM
D
DavisGuideService Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
That kind of thing really pisses me off,I guess We were just raised different. Ppl leave minnow bags and trash down by my house .why not put your trash in the bag and tske it with you?

Davis Guide Service
www.DavisGuide.com
817-983-8750
James Davis
Lake Whitney- Striper-white bass-Crappie
https://www.facebook.com/Davis-Guide-Service-159521764704170/
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
www.mrcrappie.com
Re: One Mans Trash [Re: Mike Ryan] #10833972 05/11/15 02:42 AM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Grenadaslabs,
There is a guy I went to high school with that lives close to the lake and often post photos on FB of the lake from his property. Unfortunately some of his photos are to show what people who go to Lake Worth to fish, swim, and other water activities leave behind.
He had a stroke several years ago and has trouble moving around, but having the view of the lake from the house he worked hard to own be comprised by the complete lack of consideration for him or others is just mind blowing.

Re: One Mans Trash [Re: Mike Ryan] #10834007 05/11/15 02:50 AM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
My mom had a friend who owned a small lot with a trailer on it at PK Lake. It was close to the lake. But on one side of his property was a place for RV's to park. He said he was constantly picking up other peoples trash on his property.
He told me one day he witnessed a women throw out a dirty diaper from her RV onto his property. He walked over there, picked up the diaper and smeared the inside contents on the windows of the offenders vehicle.
This guy was big, and not only was he big he was a big man with a hot temper. I am sure if they took a look through the window before going outside to challenge him or they would have got a dose of their own medicine like a pie to the face. grin

Last edited by Mike Ryan; 05/11/15 02:53 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide