Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sour Maize Recipes #10831837 05/10/15 03:31 AM
T
TNO Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Anybody have any great maize mixtures for chumming that they would want to share? Going to have a large beach to ourselves (lake Whitney) for a week and was looking to draw the kitties in.

Last edited by TNO; 05/10/15 03:32 AM.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10831872 05/10/15 04:03 AM
S
standalone Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Water , maze and time.

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10831927 05/10/15 04:33 AM
T
TNO Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Well that is easy enough. Thanks

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10831952 05/10/15 04:48 AM
J
Jater07 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Would be good to add beer if you have any that went bad or something. Just be sure to let the air out every couple of days.

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10831994 05/10/15 05:09 AM
T
TNO Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Bad beer seems illegal, but I will probably pour some in if need be. Thank you for the heads up

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832040 05/10/15 09:17 AM
B
BCJC82 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
half a five gallon bucket of milo or wheat half a beerish and half a cup of sugar. Fill it with water until it covers the grain by a few inches check it every couple days to make sure there is enough water in there and leave the lid cracked to let the CO2 escape. When it stops bubbling and stinks to high heaven it is ready.

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832076 05/10/15 11:40 AM
M
MudCat'83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I always see people mentioning beer in their chum recipes. Most of the beer we all drink is highly pasteurized, with no trace of live yeast culture. Unless you are using some expensive, micro-brewed, live-yeast beer; pouring a 12 ounce can in your bucket isn't going to do anything but waste beer.

If you are trying to make chum in a short amount of time, add a cup of sugar and a package of baker's yeast. This should get the mixture fermenting within a few short hours. However, if you are making your chum a month or more ahead of your trip; do like Standalone said "water, maze and time."

Yeast is a fungus. As such it needs sugar, water and oxygen to reproduce. Any grain you use has very little sugar content. What it does have is a complex carbohydrates, starch and fiber. Naturally occurring bacteria will produce enzymes - namely amylase - which will break down the starch into sugars that the yeast can act on. One of the best sources of these naturally occurring bacteria is moldy bread. You can also purchase amylase from brewing supply stores and from Amazon. It's pretty cheap and you don't need very much.

Also, I see a lot of guys talk about burping the bucket, or leaving it open all together. At first you do want to leave the bucket open. The exposure to atmospheric air allows for bacteria and yeast to colonize the mixture and for these organisms to reproduce rapidly with oxygen. However, after vigorous fermentation subsides - usually with 48 hours - you want to close your bucket up tight. In a short period of time the yeast will use up all the remaining oxygen in the bucket and begin anoxic fermentation. During anoxic or ammonia fermentation, yeast and bacteria produce chemical byproducts such as Butyric acid. Butyric acid is an amino acid that is associated with the smell of human vomit and stinky cheese. Cheese is loaded with Butyric acid. Catfish are extremely sensitive to amino acids, including Butyric acid. This is exactly why cheese-based baits work so well.

I realize that I probably just went way too deep into the manufacture of chum. You'll have to excuse me. I'm a chemist by trade, studied marine science and oceanography at Texas A&M and one of my hobbies is catfish chemo-sensitivity research.

Anyhow, grain, water and time are all you really need. Nature will do the rest. If you want to speed it up add some sugar, amylase and bakers yeast.

[Linked Image]
Class of 2014, Oceanography, Chemistry
U.S. Army E5 ret, OIF 2004, OEF 2008
Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: MudCat'83] #10832111 05/10/15 12:25 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: MudCat'83
I always see people mentioning beer in their chum recipes. Most of the beer we all drink is highly pasteurized, with no trace of live yeast culture. Unless you are using some expensive, micro-brewed, live-yeast beer; pouring a 12 ounce can in your bucket isn't going to do anything but waste beer.

If you are trying to make chum in a short amount of time, add a cup of sugar and a package of baker's yeast. This should get the mixture fermenting within a few short hours. However, if you are making your chum a month or more ahead of your trip; do like Standalone said "water, maze and time."

Yeast is a fungus. As such it needs sugar, water and oxygen to reproduce. Any grain you use has very little sugar content. What it does have is a complex carbohydrates, starch and fiber. Naturally occurring bacteria will produce enzymes - namely amylase - which will break down the starch into sugars that the yeast can act on. One of the best sources of these naturally occurring bacteria is moldy bread. You can also purchase amylase from brewing supply stores and from Amazon. It's pretty cheap and you don't need very much.

Also, I see a lot of guys talk about burping the bucket, or leaving it open all together. At first you do want to leave the bucket open. The exposure to atmospheric air allows for bacteria and yeast to colonize the mixture and for these organisms to reproduce rapidly with oxygen. However, after vigorous fermentation subsides - usually with 48 hours - you want to close your bucket up tight. In a short period of time the yeast will use up all the remaining oxygen in the bucket and begin anoxic fermentation. During anoxic or ammonia fermentation, yeast and bacteria produce chemical byproducts such as Butyric acid. Butyric acid is an amino acid that is associated with the smell of human vomit and stinky cheese. Cheese is loaded with Butyric acid. Catfish are extremely sensitive to amino acids, including Butyric acid. This is exactly why cheese-based baits work so well.

I realize that I probably just went way too deep into the manufacture of chum. You'll have to excuse me. I'm a chemist by trade, studied marine science and oceanography at Texas A&M and one of my hobbies is catfish chemo-sensitivity research.

Anyhow, grain, water and time are all you really need. Nature will do the rest. If you want to speed it up add some sugar, amylase and bakers yeast.

Great explanation, thank you for sharing.
What about sitting your mixture in sunshine, especially this time of the year?

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832113 05/10/15 12:29 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The more direct sun, the more heat which gets it going faster

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832137 05/10/15 12:51 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I have not made chum since I now live in a townhome. my wife used to complain about the buckets in the backyard. I wonder what her reaction will be to buckets in the garage?

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832166 05/10/15 01:08 PM
L
littlewheel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
It easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Shannon Wheeler
Lake Fork Channel Catfish Guide
Cheeseologist at Stubbys Cheesebait
903-987-2315
Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832186 05/10/15 01:22 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I have 3 Home Depot orange 5 gallon buckets with gasketed lids. I buy the cheap wild bird seed $6 and it fills a bucket 2/3 full. I cover with water, puree with an old blender a bag of the small frozen shad with equal amount of salt and add to the mix and let it sit with the lids on tight. I have one bucket that is a little over a year old and the other two are about 4 months old. You don't won't to let this stuff get on you. It don't wash off. Probably works just as well without the pureed shad but I think the fish oil might give it a little kick.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832264 05/10/15 02:04 PM
F
Flip-n-go Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I use quart Gatorade bottles, fill 2/3 with maize, top off w/water leave the lid loose for about 3 days, tighten lid, set in full sun for a few more days till ripe. The contents will be under pressure, so when you get to the lake hold the bottle under water when opening to keep the funk off of you. Sling the contents around your area, rinse bottle, reuse. Easy transport for me when fishing from the bank or smaller boat.

Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832275 05/10/15 02:08 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Sour Maize Recipes [Re: TNO] #10832300 05/10/15 02:14 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Everyone seems to worry about it getting on you and stinking!! I have been chumming for forty years. Just dip your hand in the bucket, sling out a few handfuls, rinse hand in the lake!! It makes bologna sandwiches taste better!!! Lol

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide