Forums59
Topics1,039,309
Posts13,962,661
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10828943 05/08/15 08:35 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
In stead of talking bans, how about pursuing something like the crab trap cleanup? It works and would work on abandoned trotlines.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Twistedmidnite] #10828948 05/08/15 08:37 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Twistedmidnite
I tell ya what I got to gripe about...big ol bass boats running by me on plane while I'm catfishing in my flatbottom. I've took water over the front several times. Prolly gonna dround some young kids some day.

Anyone know if were gonna get bowfishing for catfish back this year? I heard it was a possibility this September

I don't think it will be back anytime soon. Bowfishing is drawing a lot of heat from some state representatives right now.

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: ChuChu1] #10828959 05/08/15 08:43 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
In stead of talking bans, how about pursuing something like the crab trap cleanup? It works and would work on abandoned trotlines.

That is great idea problem is only a Game Warden can legally remove them. It would have to be organized with TP&W.

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Twistedmidnite] #10828978 05/08/15 08:51 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
I tell ya what I got to gripe about...big ol bass boats running by me on plane while I'm catfishing in my flatbottom. I've took water over the front several times. Prolly gonna dround some young kids some day.

Anyone know if were gonna get bowfishing for catfish back this year? I heard it was a possibility this September

I support it. I love bowfishing, love bowfishing for stuff I can eat. Right now tilapia are pretty much the only thing worth cleaning that you can bow fish. When catfish were legal to take with a bow we shot a hanfull every night, maybe 4 or 5, it was nice to be able to shoot some good eating fish.

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10828987 05/08/15 08:54 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Redchevy, I have had people tell me grasscarp was actually very good. Have you tried it?

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10828995 05/08/15 08:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Im a trotliner and if I see stuff that is not current and not fishing I pick it up. Ive don't more trash pickups in my life than I can count. Who is lazier, the guy who leaves his trotline out or the guy who leaves his bucket of worms and pile trash on the bank? Do more kids get hurt by trotlines or broken bottles thrown and left?

Banning trotlines insnt the answer. Some folks ought to reconsider where they go swimming.

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: redchevy] #10828999 05/08/15 08:57 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Im a trotliner and if I see stuff that is not current and not fishing I pick it up. Ive don't more trash pickups in my life than I can count. Who is lazier, the guy who leaves his trotline out or the guy who leaves his bucket of worms and pile trash on the bank? Do more kids get hurt by trotlines or broken bottles thrown and left?

Banning trotlines insnt the answer. Some folks ought to reconsider where they go swimming.

More have died from trotlines! Not saying banning is the answer. Cleaning up is good. Leaving trash is bad period!

Last edited by TIM CLINE; 05/08/15 08:58 PM.
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: TIM CLINE] #10829001 05/08/15 08:58 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE
Redchevy, I have had people tell me grasscarp was actually very good. Have you tried it?

I have tried common carp, buffalo, and gar. Gar is ok but mushy, makes better fish cakes than anything else. Carp was a no go for me, buffalo is on the verge of ok if it wasn't for the bones. Cant say I have eaten a grass carp specifically but I doubt I will try.

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: redchevy] #10829005 05/08/15 09:00 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE

I have tried common carp, buffalo, and gar. Gar is ok but mushy, makes better fish cakes than anything else. Carp was a no go for me, buffalo is on the verge of ok if it wasn't for the bones. Cant say I have eaten a grass carp specifically but I doubt I will try.

I have not tried any. Did eat spoonbill once and it was horrible! Tried it everyway I could think of!

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10829168 05/08/15 10:21 PM
T
Twistedmidnite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Buffalo don't have bones if they are cleaned right..however mine always have bones lol. I'll clean a three foot needle nose in a minute and cook them up with my catfish.

Truthfully I don't see the problem with bowfishing catfish, it's just another method like trotlining or jugs...but there's no lines or jugs...

Don't forget grennel, supposedly their caviar is good to eat??

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Blues] #10829172 05/08/15 10:22 PM
A
Aixsponsa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Blues
Here we go. My way is better!! My dad can beat up your dad...

If a lot of you guys spent half of your "worry about everybody else" time, actually fishing, y'all would spend a lot of time on the water....

No I don't trot line or jug line but these, make everything I don't like illegal, threads are played out and almost ridiculous.

Just trying to keep track here, so we've got a list: no trotlines, juglines, limb lines, no hand fishing, every lake needs slot limit, no fish over 20lbs can be kept..ever. Did I miss any?

Well....how about only barbless hooks? That way if someone accidentally catches one of those people that don't like others fishing's fish it can be released without showing signs of trauma.

How's that? Lol

Ridiculous

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10829174 05/08/15 10:23 PM
A
Aixsponsa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I should have mentioned that I've only set hoop nets and wire nets on private property, not that I'm against using it on public waterways....just wanted to let people know I don't catch all of their fish

If you can either quickly or quietly switch out shells, you can bring home almost anything.
Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10829185 05/08/15 10:29 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Aixsponsa
I should have mentioned that I've only set hoop nets and wire nets on private property, not that I'm against using it on public waterways....just wanted to let people know I don't catch all of their fish

LOL it's legal in Louisiana so don't worry about what anyone thinks. The fish population is good or the state would ban it.

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Aixsponsa] #10829186 05/08/15 10:30 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Last summer there was a gill net across the trinity river south of the 380 green belt park. I called the game warden to tell him about it and he gave permission for my son and I to remove it. We set the surviving carp,bass, gar,turtles , and blue gill free. we drug the dead fish into the woods, cut up the gill net and disposed of it. The game warden only wanted to know who I was and my location so I didn't get arrested dragging it out of the woods. I think It does more harm to leave stuff like that than to just make a call and take care of it. The wardens are short handed to go clean up every abandoned trot line or net loaded with dead fish. I don't care if its illegal to touch a net you discover. I will destroy it first and ask forgiveness later.

Re: Hoop nets, wire nets, and wooden traps [Re: Twistedmidnite] #10829192 05/08/15 10:31 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Buffalo don't have bones if they are cleaned right..however mine always have bones lol. I'll clean a three foot needle nose in a minute and cook them up with my catfish.

Truthfully I don't see the problem with bowfishing catfish, it's just another method like trotlining or jugs...but there's no lines or jugs...

Don't forget grennel, supposedly their caviar is good to eat??

Nothing wrong with it as long as the limit is honored. But it's always the same thing, some one screws it up.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide