Print Thread
A few questions about the Port Lavaca area #10822915 05/06/15 05:41 PM
C
Captain_Dave Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Well, I tried to search for information about the Port Lavaca area but unfortunately I couldn't find much. Anyways, I mainly fish freshwater, but I love fishing the salt so I'm planning on making a day trip to do some bay fishing in two weeks or so, depending on the weather. I've done a bit of research into some of the fishing spots, but I have a few questions:

1. Are there any major hazards I need to know about? I'll be on a kayak, so I'm not too worried about stepping on a stingray. However, I've heard that there are some gators in the Powderhorn Lake area so I'm planning on staying out in Lavaca Bay or Keller Bay to hopefully avoid dealing with one of those critters.

2. I'll hopefully be getting into town pretty early, how many of the bait shops are open 24/hrs, or are still open? The only one I could find is Indianola fishing pier, and the rest look like they are restaurants as well so I'm not sure what the hours are like.

3. Any other information I need to know?

Thank y'all in advance, any advice is very much appreciated!

Re: A few questions about the Port Lavaca area [Re: Captain_Dave] #10824569 05/07/15 03:51 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
The gators won't bother you, just don't crowd them. Powderhorn ought to be productive.

Re: A few questions about the Port Lavaca area [Re: Captain_Dave] #10824872 05/07/15 12:33 PM
R
rustedspurs4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I lived in Victoria for about 3 years and fished that area a lot. I might suggest heading out of Port O'Connor instead of Port Lavaca. It's a bit further of a drive but O'Connor has a lot more to offer as far as bait stands and fishing in general. There's plenty of flats to fish right there, also the inside jetties. If you cared to you could paddle across the channel to Matagorda Island and there is a lot of opportunities there. Powder Horn is a great place to fish and don't worry about the gators they don't tend to bother anyone unless you do something dumb like feed them or mess with them. Most of the bait stands will be open by 6 at the latest but a lot of them are open about 5, a lot of the guides get in that early to stock up on bait for the day. I used Froggies (take a right on Byers off 185 all the way to the end) they sold good bait and block ice as well. Hope this helps.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold
Re: A few questions about the Port Lavaca area [Re: Captain_Dave] #10829399 05/09/15 12:12 AM
W
wmb13 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
We have fished Powder Horn quite a bit. Gators never have been a problem. This time of year the fishing starts producing good bites on the grasslines. We use the Fishing Center for bait and get there around daylight and they are there. Not sure on the time they open. Good Luck!!

Re: A few questions about the Port Lavaca area [Re: Captain_Dave] #10844836 05/14/15 09:56 PM
C
Captain_Dave Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Awesome, thank y'all so much for answering! Yeah work and college(finals week) have been pretty hectic so I forgot that I posted this. Yeah I'm considering Port O'connor as well, it doesn't seem like its too much further of a drive so I'm thinking about hitting that up. I'm bringing some artificial baits with me but I definitely want to be able to get croaker/shrimp/mullet. Hopefully I'll be able to beat the guides!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide