Too much rod? #10810422 05/01/15 02:09 AM
P
Primary Clone Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Hey guys (and gals),

I'm new around here, and definitely new(ish) to flyfishing. I come from the gulf coast of florida and have been fishing all my life. But, I've only tried fly fishing once or twice. A couple of years ago, my buddy and I took the fly fishing 1 & 2 classes from Ovis and really enjoyed them. We both bought 9wt saltwater rods and gave it a shot. We had a little luck, but..

Fast forward several years and I'm out here in Texas, surrounded by fresh water. But, I know they run some big fish out here; bass, gar, carp. I really want to notch a few of these guys - but I'd probably fish for bass/catfish (don't even know if catfish is possible on a fly?) most commonly and I DON'T want to buy 9 rods.

So, my question; is a 9wt rod and a large arbor reel too much for the bigger fish out here? I figure I may want to pick up..what, a 5 or 6 for smaller bass and trout? I think that should about do it, though, right?

Any thoughts?

-PC

Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10810450 05/01/15 02:25 AM
W
wwest Offline
Angler
Angler
W
First, welcome to TX and your 9 should be fine. A little heavy, but not out of line. When asked if you could have only one rod, I always say an 8 wt. Trouble is, you don't know what is going to eat your fly. A bluegill? Small bass? Big bass? Big striper or hybrid? Small cat? BIG cat? In a lot of TX lakes, they are all there. Case in point - went white bass fishing on the Guadalupe river. Took a 4 and a 6 to make it "sporting". Fishing a small freshwater class clouser on the 6. Caught, among other things, a BIG striper on the 6. Not near enough rod or reel. Lost it after about a 15 minute fight where he turned my yak 360 degrees three times. I won't be making that mistake again.

Oh yeah, you can catch catfish on a fly. Try a big black foam beetle close to the bank just before the sun comes up. cool

In this life there is fly fishing and tying...and then there is all that other stuff in between that doesn't matter.

Will
Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10810801 05/01/15 11:25 AM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Primary Clone
Hey guys (and gals),

I'm new around here, and definitely new(ish) to flyfishing. I come from the gulf coast of florida and have been fishing all my life. But, I've only tried fly fishing once or twice. A couple of years ago, my buddy and I took the fly fishing 1 & 2 classes from Ovis and really enjoyed them. We both bought 9wt saltwater rods and gave it a shot. We had a little luck, but..

Fast forward several years and I'm out here in Texas, surrounded by fresh water. But, I know they run some big fish out here; bass, gar, carp. I really want to notch a few of these guys - but I'd probably fish for bass/catfish (don't even know if catfish is possible on a fly?) most commonly and I DON'T want to buy 9 rods.

So, my question; is a 9wt rod and a large arbor reel too much for the bigger fish out here? I figure I may want to pick up..what, a 5 or 6 for smaller bass and trout? I think that should about do it, though, right?

Any thoughts?

-PC

A "heavy" fly rod is not only for catching and landing big fish.
Based on my expereince, they are sometmes a necessity in order to cast big flies and bass bugs as well as handling Texas wind.
Your target now may be largemouth bass and stripers.

A 5-6 wt will likely be your fun fly rod choice.

Welcome to Texas!
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10811030 05/01/15 01:39 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
My first 2 purchases were 8 weights because I was told that is what I needed for casting big bass flies. Which is true. But casting those heavy rods with a poor casting stroke caused some carpal tunnel in my elbow and wrist, as well as, pain in my shoulder. I suggest additional fly casting instruction before spending a lot of time casting that heavy 9 weight.

Since then I have picked up a decent 4 weight for panfishing. I also picked up a $20 5/6 weight rod at BPS and a $10 reel with fly line off craigslist. I fish with it more than any of my other rods. Getting a 5 or 6 weight is the way to go. It is not near as heavy, you can still throw fairly big flies and it will handle any big bass you catch. You just have to be more patient when landing the fish.

Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10811032 05/01/15 01:41 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum and the addiction welcome

Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10811135 05/01/15 02:18 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Welcome sir! I agree with what Mr Glazener said. Personally, if I could only have two rods they would be a seven and a five. But, throwing a big popper all morning with a seven is a little tiring ( I use an eight for that ) so I don't believe your nine would to heavy for that at all.
welcome

[Linked Image]
Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10811241 05/01/15 02:53 PM
P
Primary Clone Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
P
Hey guys -

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice.

Now, there's a bit of a sinister plot to my thread title, so here's part 2: I'm a bit of a DIY nut (read: I'm not really good at anything, but I'm more than willing to screw it up trying) and I would love to wrap/build my own fly rod. Now, I don't want to be out of commission while I do that (hence the 9wt). So I'm thinking if I'm going to have 2 rods, I'll keep the 9 for when I want to go all Jeremy Wade or I take trips back to the Coast, but I'll maybe build a 5.

I have...less than no idea where to start with that kind of project, but the same question applies; is a 5wt too much rod to attempt to build on the first go-round?

Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10813063 05/02/15 04:01 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
You need to build a 7, a 5, and a 3. Then you'll want a 0 weight............. And an 11 for big flies off the jetties on a windy day.
Trust me on this nuts

Re: Too much rod? [Re: Jim Ford] #10813068 05/02/15 04:05 AM
C
Capt. Mac Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
You need to build a 7, a 5, and a 3. Then you'll want a 0 weight............. And an 11 for big flies off the jetties on a windy day.
Trust me on this nuts

thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10813339 05/02/15 01:48 PM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
In my inexperience (I've never built a rod, lol) there would be little difference between building a 0 wt and a 9 wt rod, if they had the same number of pieces.
You would be using smaller components for a smaller rod, so some of them may be a bit more fiddly, and you would probably need fewer wraps overall to complete it, but I wouldn't think there would be all THAT much difference.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I am sure We will hear about it in the next couple of posts, lol.

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10815476 05/03/15 07:22 PM
Dtheg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M.H.O. If you start to build rods it is addictive. I sneak to throw a fly even if for one or two cast then there's ways one more. I've been late or shown up muddy and smelling like a fish to more than one formal event. But since I've been building rods I have more than I'll ever use. I've spent more $$$$ on parts and blanks that I could have bought a several $800 rods. I've built the standard fly rod to my own 8wt with large guide all the way. Mudhole is only one place to look for supplies. Good luck and remember its hand built not machine perfect.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

― Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10816426 05/04/15 04:23 AM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Primary Clone

I have...less than no idea where to start with that kind of project, but the same question applies; is a 5wt too much rod to attempt to build on the first go-round?

A 5 wt is what I used for my first rod build. Like most things in life the middle of the pack sizes are usually easier to work with than the very large and very small sizes.

But, the most important part of that decision is "what size do YOU want?"

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10816571 05/04/15 12:22 PM
C
Chatterbait Offline
Angler
Angler
C
A mixed bag of good advice so far. I use a 6wt to 8wt in Saltwater and 1/2wt to 4wt in freshwater. It depends on what I'm targeting. The advice about starting with a 5wt is what I agree with the most. I've seen folks fishing those fly rod kits from Academy that are heavier (physically) than I care to cast for hours. A 5wt rod/reel combo in the 8' range won't wear you out but will still have enough punch if some wind kicks up.

Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10817061 05/04/15 03:24 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I fed my addiction and in a year, I have bought a 5 weight, 9 weight, 3 weight, 7 Weight Switch Rod, and Tenkara. Don't listen to my advice! I have problems...serious ones! eeks

I still have my 6-7 weight 8.5' I used growing up for bass, bream to trout. It now has company. smile

BUT I do love my 9 weight....I only fish maybe one day a week now, and Lord knows....the wind is gonna blow 20+. I went out yesterday hoping to try a few new flies...forecast was for 5-10mph.....well it turned out 20+. I always bring conventional rods for days like that. (I fish open water on this particular lake.).

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Too much rod? [Re: Primary Clone] #10817239 05/04/15 04:21 PM
Z
ZachW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
I think you're right on with either a 5 or 6 weight. I've got a 9' 5wt fast action rod now that I like, but just picked up a 7'4" fiberglass 4wt that I REALLY like. I think my next move will be to trade in the 5 for a 6 to fill in the gap. There are days casting bass bugs that I definitely wish I had a little more.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide