Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) #10815241 05/03/15 04:08 PM
J
Jigflippa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Any tips for a rookie liked me? Been fishing two years and this is the first time I've even seen runoff like this. Thank God for the rain. I heard black buzz baits. What color of jig? What lures besides soft plastics. I have very little confidence fishing plastics. I know that's bad but it is what it is! Haha. The water has risen a lot in my lake. Tons of new structure. What should I look for? It's like now there is so much cover and grass I don't even know where to start. Really appreciate all the advice I get on here. Just trying to learn as much as I can from y'all!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815245 05/03/15 04:12 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Think displacement and vibration. Colorado bladed spinnerbaits are great & big bulky baits in dark colors. In dirty water like that the fish generally set up right against cover. Good luck & go catch 'em'

Mark
Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815272 05/03/15 04:27 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I know you won't be a fan. . .but I've been catching them really well on a pink senko. Just cast it where you would normally if the water was clearer, work it back real slow, and watch your line. It's been doing me very well. If you really want something moving, I'd throw a white chatterbait with a LFT slug trailer or a shallow diving crank with a VERY wide wobble and a rattle to two, in some shade of red or chrome.

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815280 05/03/15 04:31 PM
J
Jigflippa Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Are you texas rigging the senko?

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: timwins31] #10815285 05/03/15 04:34 PM
S
Scott in Flower Mound Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: timwins31
I know you won't be a fan. . .but I've been catching them really well on a pink senko. Just cast it where you would normally if the water was clearer, work it back real slow, and watch your line. It's been doing me very well. If you really want something moving, I'd throw a white chatterbait with a LFT slug trailer or a shallow diving crank with a VERY wide wobble and a rattle to two, in some shade of red or chrome.

What size and presentation on your pink senko? I just spent 3.5 hours throwing a weightless Texas rigged 5" black and blue flake senko in my local body of water and got nothing. Also threw a neon chartreuse small chatter bait and was throwing right in the middle of activity and nothing. Heck, even threw a yellow beetle spin, and no dice.

Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815322 05/03/15 04:56 PM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
I have been out quite a bit since the rise. The lake is flooded now with tons of cover. The fishing has completely turned off, but I think it is a combo of many factors all coming into play at once.
1. The spawn was in full force and the water rose 7+ feet in 2 weeks.
2. The lake beeing soo low, the debris and trash is unbelievable. Mainly little Styrofoam which is covering some banks for a few yards off the shoreline. Fish will not eat this foam, and I believe they will shy away from it all together due to it sticking on them and everything it touches.
3. Post spawn has set in and the water is much murkier. It has greatly shortened the distance a bass will chase a lure.
4. Shad are all over the shallows and shore line and easy pickings has the bass beeing picky.
5. The Baro pressure has gone completely crazy for a couple of weeks and it is likely fish had many feeding frenzys while we sat at home out of the wind and rain. The last few days have been blue bird skies and they are not feeding much. I saw more action on top of the water durring winter than I did last ight from 10 to 11 pm. Nothing was breaking the surface with a bright moon also.
6. Too much cover. You cant fish all of it, and alot of it is not holding fish.
Wait until the next rain is on the horizon. The fish should have had plenty of time to find new cover they will make homes in. They will turn on, and it will be great

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: outfishdya] #10815531 05/03/15 08:03 PM
S
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: outfishdya
I have been out quite a bit since the rise. The lake is flooded now with tons of cover. The fishing has completely turned off, but I think it is a combo of many factors all coming into play at once.
1. The spawn was in full force and the water rose 7+ feet in 2 weeks.
2. The lake beeing soo low, the debris and trash is unbelievable. Mainly little Styrofoam which is covering some banks for a few yards off the shoreline. Fish will not eat this foam, and I believe they will shy away from it all together due to it sticking on them and everything it touches.
3. Post spawn has set in and the water is much murkier. It has greatly shortened the distance a bass will chase a lure.
4. Shad are all over the shallows and shore line and easy pickings has the bass beeing picky.
5. The Baro pressure has gone completely crazy for a couple of weeks and it is likely fish had many feeding frenzys while we sat at home out of the wind and rain. The last few days have been blue bird skies and they are not feeding much. I saw more action on top of the water durring winter than I did last ight from 10 to 11 pm. Nothing was breaking the surface with a bright moon also.
6. Too much cover. You cant fish all of it, and alot of it is not holding fish.
Wait until the next rain is on the horizon. The fish should have had plenty of time to find new cover they will make homes in. They will turn on, and it will be great

These are as good a set of reasons for the recent bad fishing as I can figure as well. Not happy that I seem to have missed the spawns (crappie and bass), but with this recent wet weather, I figure I'm not alone.

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815543 05/03/15 08:12 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I've been throwing a 5" senko rigged weedless. And when they have stopped biting the pink one, I'll switch to a a white one. I should mention too that the ones I'm using get soaked in Kickin Bass craw scent. I think that stuff makes a big difference when the water is murky. They leave a scent trail and if you fish them slow, it gives the fish a chance to find it. Sometimes I'll let it sink to the bottom and drag it, sometimes I'll work it like a jerk bait. The trigger for me the last few days has been to work it fast and kill it for a good 5 or 10 seconds.

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815546 05/03/15 08:15 PM
S
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Thanks for the tips. I've never used pink or white, but the scent does make sense. Might need to try that.

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815549 05/03/15 08:17 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Finally caught a LMB this weekend, did it cranking a 6xd really fast.

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815618 05/03/15 08:51 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Hay Scott:
I have mentioned my spinner bait in the other post and it has been very successful. In the really thick slop put the frog on, Black or Dark Green/Orange belly. That is the only plastic I would have confidence on and it will cover some water. These two will be as good as it gets because the Bass are scattered and only group up in small places. Fish parallel with the bank, over lap your cast and keep moving down the bank.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Scott in Flower Mound] #10815808 05/03/15 10:35 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound
Thanks for the tips. I've never used pink or white, but the scent does make sense. Might need to try that.

I think the scent is the most important part. The water I was fishing in was so murky I'm not sure they ever got a very good look at it. As far as the colors, I'm not a big pink fan but there are certain times of the year when it works well, plus it's something the fish don't see too often and I like that. But white. . .I always have a white worm of some sort on. The cream white senkos are one of my fav, plus it's real easy to change them up with a little spike it dye, and that just add more color AND scent.

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815815 05/03/15 10:37 PM
B
Ban-D Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Just key in close to cover. I mean close close. Colorado blade spinnerbaits,chatterbaits, and dark plastics. That being said my best day fishing muddy water was with a silent shad colored crankbait.

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10815837 05/03/15 10:55 PM
Blayne Wallace Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Use something that has vibration that fish can identify and key in on. Last weekend the day after it rained I fished squaw creek and the water was literally chocolate milk. We wore them out on a 3/8oz spinnerbait with one big Colorado blade and a willow. Like said before, crankbaits and chatterbaits seem to get me bit. Throw up against every bit of cover you can find. Good luck!

Re: Tips for fishing the muddy water (chocolate milk) [Re: Jigflippa] #10821801 05/06/15 04:15 AM
C
ChrisBlackmon95 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Don't sleep on the chatterbait in dirty water either. Big spinnerbaits also. Anything that vibrates and moves a lot of water I'd personally rather fished stained/dirty water than clear water. Dark colors in dirty water always work well for me. Purple, orange, black, etc... Hope this helps

"When you set the hook, break the rod!"
"Every bite I've ever had has been a reaction bite."
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide