Print Thread
Another good day #10814609 05/03/15 03:08 AM
C
Capt Hoop Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
This was to be my second day running for Super Strike Charters. I was to have 2 or 3 guys but the problem was we could not contact them. I was at the dock at 5:30. They were to be there at 6:00. I called the contact number and it went right to voice mail as had been the case for 2 days straight days. There are times the customer can not be contacted and they never show leaving us at the dock and loosing any other customers we could have had. This is why we take deposits or credit card info.

About 6:30 they show up. I loaded Mike and Mike on the boat and we head out. I knew today would be tough because we had 20 knot winds out of the north. The ride across the bay in solid 2-3 footers was bouncy. I was lucky enough to be able to quarter them somewhat and the Avenger bay boat took them well. Once around the corner in a somewhat protected area I found the water very dirty. There was a lot of bait activity and we started there. This is where I left them biting yesterday. I had to reposition the boat a bit because the residual waves made it hard to stand on the top platforms and cast. We kept inside the boat just for safety. Casting was also difficult because of the winds. Although an occasional rat red this spot was not happening.

I moved a few hundred yards and found a bit of cleaner water. We landed some rats so it was looking encouraging. After about a dozen of these we get our first keeper into the net.

We had 2 other Super Strike boats in the area and only one was doing a bit better. Not smoking them but a bit better. Over all the fishing here was not like the day before. The slow bite was just enough to keep us in the area and picking away. About 11:00 one of our boats decided to run to another place. I have 4 keepers and a sheepshead in the box just waiting for the tide to start dropping. The boat that left a half hour before calls us over there. I do not hesitate and run to join him. Once there the place was so tight only 1 boat could fish it. I set up on the outer edge and we watched them catching. We did manage to find a few but not as consistent as the show they were putting on.

We were finally having some action. Once the other boat had enough catching and release I was able to position my boat in the zone. From there on it was solid action with many doubles.

Mike and Mike were keeping me busy releasing fish or tossing them into the box. I was not able to get many pictures due to the hot action we now had. We had our limit of fish and started releasing some. As I was getting the boat picked up and ready for our trip in Mike (take your pick) brought a rod of his own and decided to give it a try. He casted a Storm minnow out with a 12 pound test line.

As soon as the bait hits the water there is an explosion and there is no doubt what is on the other end of his setup. The other Mike and I stop doing things and enjoy the show. I have watched this act unfold many times and it never gets old. Another epic battle with the angler being the victor.

Seeing we already had our limit we let this beauty go to breed and fight another day. That would have been the icing on the cake but we did C&R for a while. The next 2 casts with the Storm minnow both brought in slot sized fish that got a reprieve. After those 3 peat casts the Storm minnow got cold. We decided to head for the barn and have a fish cleaning party.

I had 2 good days with 2 great groups. I am always thankful to have customers like this on board. Thanks to both groups for the memories.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM

Re: Another good day [Re: Capt Hoop] #10814768 05/03/15 04:38 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nice fish. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide