Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Lowrance HDS-12 gen 2 touch or Humminbird 1199? #10805604 04/29/15 05:39 AM
Ltcm09 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
In the market for a new fish finder around $2500 and have been looking at Lowrance units. Im familiar with humminbird and like lakemaster and autochart features.

Thing is Lowrance has the best user interface design and more options for customising. But im stuck with Navionics and insight genisis / never used before not saying there bad

heres the thing im worried about ive heard gps sucks on Lowrance units compared to Humminbird

Any Lowrance fans out there that can convince me and is the gen2 touch 12 a good unit?

Ps any other brands like garmin and simrad let me know what you think is best

Also looked at Humminbird ONIX units but whats the difference in that and Lowrance gen2 touch units other than an extra grand and autochart live?

Last edited by Ltcm09; 04/29/15 05:49 AM.
Re: Lowrance HDS-12 gen 2 touch or Humminbird 1199? [Re: Ltcm09] #10805700 04/29/15 11:18 AM
Russell Marine Products Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I'm a lowrance guy myself. Always have been, just seems easy to navigate and operate for me. I like the fact that if you purchase the bundle to have side scan the lowrance will come with both transducers, 1 for your 2d sonar and 1 for structure scan. Humminbird you would have to purchase the Y cable and another transducer if you want to have your 2d sonar transducer rigged to shoot thru the hull. Lowrance will come with lake insight mapping, but navionics is better (their chips are about $150 i believe). I have never had an issue with the internal gps on any of my lowrances, but I think on a bird you have to have an external puck? not 100% sure though.

I love being able to customize a view screen views so with the push of one button and one time touching the screen I can have a new screen/view up quickly and it's just want I wanted since I customized the screen with what views I wanted.

Hummingbird makes a great product, but it just isn't for me. I'm a retailer/dealer for all hummingbird, garmin, and lowrance. Lowrance is what I have on my boat and it's what we sell by FAR above hummingbird or Garmin.

Re: Lowrance HDS-12 gen 2 touch or Humminbird 1199? [Re: Russell Marine Products] #10807525 04/30/15 12:05 AM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Justin Russell
I'm a lowrance guy myself. Always have been, just seems easy to navigate and operate for me. I like the fact that if you purchase the bundle to have side scan the lowrance will come with both transducers, 1 for your 2d sonar and 1 for structure scan. Humminbird you would have to purchase the Y cable and another transducer if you want to have your 2d sonar transducer rigged to shoot thru the hull. Lowrance will come with lake insight mapping, but navionics is better (their chips are about $150 i believe). I have never had an issue with the internal gps on any of my lowrances, but I think on a bird you have to have an external puck? not 100% sure though.

I love being able to customize a view screen views so with the push of one button and one time touching the screen I can have a new screen/view up quickly and it's just want I wanted since I customized the screen with what views I wanted.

Hummingbird makes a great product, but it just isn't for me. I'm a retailer/dealer for all hummingbird, garmin, and lowrance. Lowrance is what I have on my boat and it's what we sell by FAR above hummingbird or Garmin.

All the current Humminbird models have internal GPS antennas.
All Side Imaging units come with a single transducer that does Side Imaging, Down Imaging, 2D sonar and temp--no "bundle" needed.
Some craft cannot use a shoot-thru transducer, so a single one is all that is needed.

You are a dealer and don't know that?

Last edited by Wayne P.; 04/30/15 12:07 AM.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Lowrance HDS-12 gen 2 touch or Humminbird 1199? [Re: Ltcm09] #10807547 04/30/15 12:13 AM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Ltcm09
In the market for a new fish finder around $2500 and have been looking at Lowrance units. Im familiar with humminbird and like lakemaster and autochart features.

Thing is Lowrance has the best user interface design and more options for customising. But im stuck with Navionics and insight genisis / never used before not saying there bad

heres the thing im worried about ive heard gps sucks on Lowrance units compared to Humminbird

Any Lowrance fans out there that can convince me and is the gen2 touch 12 a good unit?

Ps any other brands like garmin and simrad let me know what you think is best

Also looked at Humminbird ONIX units but whats the difference in that and Lowrance gen2 touch units other than an extra grand and autochart live?

The MSRP of a Gen2 Touch 12 is the same as an ONIX 10 SI cross touch.
You can get the Gen 2 Touch 12 on close-out sale since the Gen3 units are on the market.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Lowrance HDS-12 gen 2 touch or Humminbird 1199? [Re: Wayne P.] #10807759 04/30/15 01:38 AM
Russell Marine Products Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Originally Posted By: Justin Russell

All the current Humminbird models have internal GPS antennas.
All Side Imaging units come with a single transducer that does Side Imaging, Down Imaging, 2D sonar and temp--no "bundle" needed.
Some craft cannot use a shoot-thru transducer, so a single one is all that is needed.

You are a dealer and don't know that?

I just don't understand why you'd want a $300 transducer (humminbird) mounted externally on the boat low enough for it to read 2d sonar at 70mph and very susceptible to getting knocked off by trees and such. The lss2 doesn't have to be mounted low enough to where it would be as easy to knock off/break as the humminbird as you described.

Like I said it's only my opinion, I choose Lowrance.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide