ATAK-My first impression #10806574 04/29/15 05:11 PM
T
Todd™ Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
T
LOVE IT!!!!

I really only got to spend about 20 minutes in it but it took only one paddle stroke to notice a big difference in the ease it takes to move vs my Ride 135 and Commander 140. It was surprisingly faster. It also turns really good for a 14 footer without a rudder but that doesn't affect the tracking. Tracked really good and kept on course while paddling diagonal to a heavy side wind. The low profile is awesome in the wind and I didn't get any water sloshing over the side in the heavy chop. The deck is huge and clutter free. The seat will fold up giving probably the biggest deck on the market to fish from. Believe me you will like that because you can walk on this kayak. No more standing and staying where you are. The stability I put up there at about 95% as good as the Commander which makes it 45% more stable than any standable SOT on the market "I've" tried. I grabbed a SUP paddle and used it with it and that was great. The ATAK responds very well and is easy to maneuver while standing. This kayak with the 3D seat is a kayak you could use and never have to sit down.

I make my comparisons to the Ride 135 and Commander 140 because I've spent the time to test as many kayaks as I can and they both fit "me" and "my" style of fishing best. The Ride because it's really stable and can fish rough open water without worries. I fish a Commander (a hybrid) because hands down "I've" not found a more stable paddle kayak for standing but I keep it away from rough open water. I took two kayaks to fit me best but now the ATAK will be replacing both of them.

Each person is different but if you're looking for a fast, comfortable, super stable, and very well thought out kayak then you should demo one of these before you buy anything else.

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10806644 04/29/15 05:35 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Fair and accurate comparison Todd. With a first year kayak there will always be room to improve and change, but so far I havent seen anything I d not like about the ATAK. My full review will be out next week

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10807016 04/29/15 08:19 PM
B
ben_beyer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
So do you need a longer paddle like one for a 1 man canoe or will a standard kayak paddle work?

I have a AT Fishstix in 220cm (I think).

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10807061 04/29/15 08:38 PM
T
Todd™ Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
T
I recommend a 240cm.

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10807067 04/29/15 08:41 PM
C
cchoww Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: Todd™
LOVE IT!!!!

I really only got to spend about 20 minutes in it but it took only one paddle stroke to notice a big difference in the ease it takes to move vs my Ride 135 and Commander 140. It was surprisingly faster. It also turns really good for a 14 footer without a rudder but that doesn't affect the tracking. Tracked really good and kept on course while paddling diagonal to a heavy side wind. The low profile is awesome in the wind and I didn't get any water sloshing over the side in the heavy chop. The deck is huge and clutter free. The seat will fold up giving probably the biggest deck on the market to fish from. Believe me you will like that because you can walk on this kayak. No more standing and staying where you are. The stability I put up there at about 95% as good as the Commander which makes it 45% more stable than any standable SOT on the market "I've" tried. I grabbed a SUP paddle and used it with it and that was great. The ATAK responds very well and is easy to maneuver while standing. This kayak with the 3D seat is a kayak you could use and never have to sit down.

I make my comparisons to the Ride 135 and Commander 140 because I've spent the time to test as many kayaks as I can and they both fit "me" and "my" style of fishing best. The Ride because it's really stable and can fish rough open water without worries. I fish a Commander (a hybrid) because hands down "I've" not found a more stable paddle kayak for standing but I keep it away from rough open water. I took two kayaks to fit me best but now the ATAK will be replacing both of them.

Each person is different but if you're looking for a fast, comfortable, super stable, and very well thought out kayak then you should demo one of these before you buy anything else.

Todd I was just looking at a breakdown SUP paddle for the ATAK. Would be perfect for the shallows, flippin and pitchin.

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10807234 04/29/15 09:52 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I will be getting a SUP paddle for mine also. I stand a fair amount in my Ride 115X now, but that will triple with the ATAK

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10807380 04/29/15 10:56 PM
A
Aggie61 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
LOVE IT!!!!

I know you had out for a short time on the water, do you think the ATAK would be a yak you would use for long paddles or open water? Considering the ATAK and Tarpon 140.

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10807534 04/30/15 12:09 AM
S
stxhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I too paddled the ATAK and must say I was impressed. Just as mentioned previously, with the first stroke of the paddle the boat really took off. It seemed like there was much less effort needed to get the kayak up to speed and maintain that speed. Tracking was good and stability was much better than expected. I would rate the stability just slightly less than the slayer propel and PA14, which says a lot. Compared to my Cuda 14, this was a much nicer kayak in many respects.

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10808133 04/30/15 03:43 AM
g.a.gonzales Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Take it from a guy who just about only stands up to fish. I used to bring both my sup paddle and my paddling paddle but dont anymore... Bringing the sup paddle is usually just a hassle. You can get a sup paddle, but if you are like me it'll eventually just wind up living in the garage. Just saying that hoping to save some good friends a few bucks.

As far as paddle sizes are concerned, someone with a good paddle stroke will benefit from a 240 over a 250 on the atak. If your not sure however 250 will work. I only know this cuz I tried the ATAK at ACK demo days w/ werner low angle 240 and 250 cm paddles.

www.somethinfishycustomrods.com
Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: g.a.gonzales] #10808720 04/30/15 02:23 PM
T
Todd™ Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Aggie61

I know you had out for a short time on the water, do you think the ATAK would be a yak you would use for long paddles or open water? Considering the ATAK and Tarpon 140.

I've done 12 miles or more in my Ride 135 several times and do fine but as easy as the ATAK was to paddle, I think it would do great for long paddles. I also think it will be good in big open water but what conditions it can handle I've yet to discover. If you're looking for nothing but a long distance and open water yak I would look at the Tarpon 140 or the Thresher. I'm more of a pitching and flipping fisherman so standing is a plus in my yaks.

Originally Posted By: g.a.gonzales
Take it from a guy who just about only stands up to fish. I used to bring both my sup paddle and my paddling paddle but dont anymore... Bringing the sup paddle is usually just a hassle. You can get a sup paddle, but if you are like me it'll eventually just wind up living in the garage. Just saying that hoping to save some good friends a few bucks.

As far as paddle sizes are concerned, someone with a good paddle stroke will benefit from a 240 over a 250 on the atak. If your not sure however 250 will work. I only know this cuz I tried the ATAK at ACK demo days w/ werner low angle 240 and 250 cm paddles.

I liked the feel of the SUP paddle but true I don't want to deal with multiple paddle while fishing. I would like a paddle that the blade removed and you could insert a T-handle but I don't want the extra weight for that paddle either.

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10809245 04/30/15 04:53 PM
B
Brushiphile Offline
Angler
Angler
B

I liked the feel of the SUP paddle but true I don't want to deal with multiple paddle while fishing. I would like a paddle that the blade removed and you could insert a T-handle but I don't want the extra weight for that paddle either.

I use an Accent Transformer paddle, it has interchangeable parts. It comes with two traditional paddle blades, a stake out tip, a push pole tip, a SUP paddle blade and a SUP handle. Since I'm in a propel I keep a paddle blade on one end adn stake out point on the other. If I'm poling in shallow water I use stakeout tip and SUP handle. Mine is all fiberglass/plastic, but the Transformer Pro is carbon I think, pretty light weight.

brush-i-phile\ n : one who is enthusiastic about Brushy Creek

My therapist says she's happy I flyfish for the meditative qualities. Little does she know it's the cause of my PTSD.

Also touched by His noodly appendage.
Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10809248 04/30/15 04:54 PM
M
mikepaddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Here is a great solution for SUP vs conventional paddles. You also get a push and stake out pole in one package.

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Accent-Transformer-3-in-1-Paddle-NU-8300.htm

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10809823 04/30/15 08:52 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I think this is they kayak I've been waiting for. Looks awesome. How long until someone is selling it for less than MSRP?

Re: ATAK-My first impression [Re: Todd™] #10810425 05/01/15 02:11 AM
B
ben_beyer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I recommend a 240cm.

I couldn't remember what size AT Fishstix I bought so I measured. From blade tip to blade tip was about 94 inches, so that would be a 240cm paddle or do I need to make a different measurement?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide