Print Thread
Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing #10804548 04/28/15 09:58 PM
C
CRAPPIEJIGN Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I have started to read this forum and watch several videos on Youtube.

Need more info. for choosing either a sit-on-top or sit-in kayak. I'd like to read the pros and cons of it.

Most of my concerns deal with safety on lakes and reservoirs like Lewisville and Ray Roberts. Issues like: Having a rogue or large wave/wake of a jet ski or pleasure boat wiping you out and turning into an emergency situation. If fishing the timber on Ray Roberts having a snake hidden on a branch and suddenly dropping into the hole of a sit-in model thus creating a situation.

I expect everyone has thought about or experienced these thoughts or events to some degree.

And since we're on this narrowed topic, would you mind sharing - your worst experience while kayaking & fishing and what you learned from it?

Thank you.

Jeff

Last edited by CRAPPIEJIGN; 04/28/15 09:59 PM.
Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10804641 04/28/15 10:40 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
SOT. But I'm definitely not the most expirienced guy to talk. Listen to What people say though. And try out both first.

Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10804836 04/29/15 12:05 AM
R
RealBigReel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
SOT is going to have a lot better fishing options and stability.
I have never even come close to being flipped by a boat or jet ski. When I was new I used to head into wakes but now I just ignore them and keep on fishing.
Yes, I would mind sharing my worst experience. I learned to keep my mouth shut.

RealBigReel
I don't go too fast but I go pretty far.
Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10805589 04/29/15 05:04 AM
T
Tony from Oak Point Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
SIK is great for difficult launches and creeks, etc. I use a Heritage Featherlite kayak a lot. For the big water experience a SOT is best though.

My buddy rescued a guy who almost died in the cold water of Lavon awhile back. Kayak was anchored and weighed down with gear in such a way that water went through the hatch and filled up the hull. It was a freak chance that the yaker was rescued as the rescuer was just going to catch bait on a mostly empty lake. Just worth remembering that SOT are very much sinkable unless they are foam like RealBigReel's custom boats. I usually keep a few foam blocks in mine.

Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10805695 04/29/15 11:12 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I have both. I prefer my sot to fish from because I like to throw my legs over the side and at times jump in and out. Tony is right, sot kayaks can sink just like any other boat. Knowledge is what keeps you above water. I fish ray rob and lewisville alot and would be happy to take you out fishing. You wont flip or fall out.
My worst exp...it came in a canoe with my father many many years ago. We were paddling around the north shore of isle royale in lake superior. Very cold and very foggy. That lake turns into an ocean with waves that equal any ocean. In this case they were large , I cant say an accurate size because I was a young boy. There was no place to pull the canoe on shore and the weather her just kept getting worse. Just plain scary. My dad
was amazing and paddled through everything without ever letting me know we were in any real danger.

Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10805771 04/29/15 12:10 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Paddle both.

I have a pair of Native Ultimate Tandems, they are sit-inside, I use them on creeks, lakes, and rivers. I expect they create a lower profile for the wind compared to a SOT. They are very stable, I've never felt unstable. There are fewer options for mounting or stowing gear compared to a SOT, although the Native Ultimate FX improved on some of that.

If I were to buy a new kayak today, I'd look hard at something like the Viking Profish Reload.

Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10805945 04/29/15 01:31 PM
U
UrsusVeritas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I bought my first kayak a year ago, and like you, had some concerns. However, if you wear your PFD, use your brain, watch the weather, and practice re-entry, kayaking is no more dangerous than boating. In fact, because you are small, cant go fast, and feel vulnerable, it probably causes most people to be more cautious, making kayaking safer than boating.

Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10806093 04/29/15 02:22 PM
J
Jason Delfraisse Offline
Angler
Angler
J
its a preference thing. Some people love their sit in style kayaks like the ultimate's and the commander's others love their SOT kayaks. I used to have an ultimate and fished out in some pretty open water with plenty of chop and no problems. Now it is a little nerve racking to do so for me vs a SOT. I have literally taken waves over my Hobie and Diablo SOT's with no worries. but the only reason I get in those situations is because I don't have to worry I have scupper holes. If I had to recommend one or the other it would be based on what you do. If you want to fish tournaments you would want to go with a SOT, sometimes we fish in rain and what only seems like hurricane force winds. If you fun fish have an upstairs apartment or can't lift heavy things the sit in styles are super light and perfect.

Re: Newby. Researching Kayak Fishing [Re: CRAPPIEJIGN] #10806287 04/29/15 03:34 PM
S
Sharkinator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I am all about the sit-on-top. To me there is a huge advantage to being able to flip a kayak and be able to roll it back over and keep on fishing. If you take on water with a sit-in it is another story all together. Filled with water they are almost immovable in the water. If you plan on ever getting into any semi-rough water you should go with a sit-on-top.

I guess my worst experience was also one of my best. Several years ago I was tied off to a rig down along PINS. I got what appeared to be a large fish on. In the process of trying to turn on the camera, fight fish, manage waves, etc. I flipped. Somehow I managed to hang onto the rod and get back in. It was a bit crazy. Fought that fish for a long time. Turned out to be a 6' Bull Shark. Fortunately when I flipped he was pretty intent on going the other direction. Had I been in a sit-in kayak I would probably still be drifting out there somewhere!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide