Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Fastest Way to a Double Digit #10799671 04/27/15 12:07 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
What do you guys this is the fastest way to get to a double digit fish in public waters in North America? For my money I'd think shiner fishing central Florida would probably yield a 10 lber in the fewest hours.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799678 04/27/15 12:15 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Sight fishing

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799685 04/27/15 12:21 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Doug Hannon and I had a talk about all the 10 pounders he caught. If you want to do it in Florida, he caught most of his out of an aluminum boat fishing waters off the beaten path. His method with shiners was to run them 75 feet or so behind the boat.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799717 04/27/15 12:42 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Those first two pieces of advice would be my way. Sight fish waters with big bass off the beaten path- it will work- might take little while but it will work. Or you could get lucky which by far is the best way to catch a big one!!!
Those things are easy to say but hard to do. You need to know how to sight fish- I mean REALLY know- the vast majority of fisherman don't know or don't want to know - at least that has been my experience.
Not having to do anything but fish and go anytime at the drop of a hat helps too- I sure don't have that luxury.
Another two ways that work are night fishing and deep water structure. You could spend all your time between those methods and get a little luck - then you might be catching multiple ones regularly.

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799720 04/27/15 12:43 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Jalwine
What do you guys this is the fastest way to get to a double digit fish in public waters in North America? For my money I'd think shiner fishing central Florida would probably yield a 10 lber in the fewest hours.

Probably so. Or like Jarret said, sight fishing a lake known for big ones.

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799747 04/27/15 01:00 PM
Bass98 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Caught my two biggest last year night fishing. That's my plan for a DD this year. Not that it will happen lol.

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799843 04/27/15 01:41 PM
T
TTU_fisherman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
All of the above are good advice. Being on big fish lakes when they are hot is another good one. Such as Falcon a few years ago.

I'll second the sight fishing big fish lakes during prime spawn times.

Take note too that the current people that have posted so far have a VERY LARGE number of 10+ lb fish.

-Curtis

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799915 04/27/15 02:07 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Hire Mark Pack in the heat of the summer

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10799945 04/27/15 02:15 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru

Last edited by Donald Harper; 04/27/15 02:16 PM.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10800085 04/27/15 03:03 PM
capt grumpy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Spend a week on Ivie

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10800098 04/27/15 03:08 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
If i had to spend a week looking for a dd it would open up a lot more places. Narrow it down to a couple days and it would be Fork and Toledo in Texas. No other lake has more 10+ than those 2 in Texas

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10800120 04/27/15 03:15 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jalwine

I was on the same quest a few years back and went down to Mexico in May with some XD-10s and caught a couple. Ivie got me real close.... Fork isn't very nice to me typically. There are plenty of great Mexican lakes loaded with 10 pounders. That's the fastest way to get a DD in my experience.

Best of luck,
Jackson

[Linked Image]
Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10800133 04/27/15 03:21 PM
reeltexan Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Telephone generator.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10800240 04/27/15 03:45 PM
D
DevinJoe Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Fish with minnows under the 154 and 515 bridges on fork.

Re: Fastest Way to a Double Digit [Re: Jpurdue] #10800315 04/27/15 04:02 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
When in doubt, ask the internet,..

This is for the average Joe who loves to fish but wants to improve his or her game a little.

Some fisherman just love to be on the lake with a pole in one hand and a beer in the other. I spend a lot of time in this mindset myself. Others, well theyre looking for that Hawg in the double digits. Ive compiled a top 10 list of ways to improve your chances of Catching such a fish.

1. It should go without saying that the number one way to catch any fish is to get out on the lake. Too many anglers dont get out enough. If you are serious, you have to get out regularly and perfect your techniques. If youre on the couch you aint catching fish.

2. To catch large fish, you have to go were they live. Plain and simple. Small private ponds and ponds on golf courses can yield great catches because they are seldom if ever fished. The problem is getting permission to use them. You should also check which lakes hold the state record Bass. In Texas its Lake Fork. If you can, fish the lakes with big Bass records. If you still cant catch the trophy your longing for, it may be time to hire a guide. Go online and research the guides on your favorite lake.

3. Patience. When applying techniques for catching 10 pounders, you arent going to be catching many fish. You will have to decide whether or not you can spend hours on the lake reeling in fishless lures over and over. You have to stay dedicated and be patient. Otherwise, slip on your go to lure and be content with 2 and 3 pounders.

4. Persistence. Try, try, and try again. Ive known really good bass anglers who have fished for years before catching a 10 pounder. And quite often, they catch em when theyre just out fishing without any grand expectations. I was out with my oldest son teaching him how to work a Texas rigged worm. I was tossing one myself to demonstrate how to work the rod when low and behold I hooked into my first double digit Bass. It came when I least expected it to. I guess the point is, get out on the lake as much as possible and fish because you love to fish. With patience and persistence, you stand a much better chance of catching the big one.

5. Lure selection. Before you hit your favorite lake, talk to the guys in the tackle shop. Talk to other fisherman. Get online and join a blog or forum for the best lures and spots to fish on your lake. Most Bass fisherman, while protective of their honey holes, still want to talk about their experiences and accomplishments. Ask them what lures work best and under what conditions. When you decide on a lure selection, stick with it and experiment with speeds and pole action. Dont be afraid to go big with a lure either. Think about how big a 10 pound Bass is and go from there. Also, dont be distracted by all the ads for guaranteed bass catching lures that pop up on the web. Use what works for you and have been proven to work through the test of time.

6. To Boat or not to Boat. As long as you have a line in the water you can catch fish. That being said, if your on the bank you will be limited to few select spots that every other bank fisherman fishes. You can catch the big one this way, but its less likely. You dont have to go out and spend $40,000 on a tournament bass boat either. There are countless ways to boat for less. I started out in a 12′ aluminum john boat with a transom mount trolling motor. In all I spent less than a thousand dollars hook, line and sinker. Even though it takes longer, I could hit any portion of a lake the big bass boats could hit. I could even get into spots the bigger boats couldnt. You can set up a cooler with an aerator as a live well and fish tournaments if you like. Just dont venture too far from the boat ramp or you may miss weigh in.

7. Gear. Use what feels right for you. Bass dont know if your using a spinning, bait cast, or closed face reel. Until you get used to using something new, stick with what you know. You ask 10 people what the best gear to use is and you get 10 different answers for 10 different reasons. Stick with what you know. Learn how to use the new stuff when your out just for fun and relaxation. You dont want to miss a big Bass because your respooling a bait cast that keeps nesting on you.

8. Presentation. Bass get used to seeing the same thing over and again. Mix it up. If your go to lure is a spinner bait(like many Bass guys including myself) try slipping a gecko lizard on the hook all the way up under the skirt. Something as simple as this can have drastically positive affects on your outing.

9. Practice at home when you cant get on the lake. Throw a weighted line in the back yard and visualize your on the lake. Practice working your pole as if you were working a finesse bait. Set up scenarios and react as you would in real life. Get a buddy involved and have some fun with it.

10. The last tip I have for you on this subject is dont fish just to catch the big one. Fish because you love to fish, and one day the big one will come to you. Share your love of fishing with someone else

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide