Page 1 of 2 1 2
How you guys teach someone to fish? #10790735 04/23/15 05:06 PM
P
Patrickmo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Water is getting more warmer and bass more active so I think we all have a friend or two who wants to go fishing the first time. I have couple of colleagues from work who just asked me to introduce and teach them fishing. I guess they got excited after constantly seeing my fishing pictures grin So I`m curious how you guys teach fishing to newbies? Do you point them to some article that covers all the basics like this 10 Essentials For Every New Angler This Fishing Season , direct them to flukemaster or other youtube channel, take them fishing with you or recommend some gear and lures and let them learn at their own?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10790753 04/23/15 05:11 PM
C
CLedbetter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Be sure to front-end them all day, they need to learn the hard way.

But seriously, I will be paying attention to responses because I am still trying to learn the "best way to learn."

Last edited by Consul1855; 04/23/15 05:17 PM.
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10790763 04/23/15 05:15 PM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If you have the opportunity to take someone fishing, especially a kid, then do it! If not, then you can always try to point them in the right direction by recommending baits, lakes, etc. Everyone learns new things differently. I learn by seeing and doing things. Some guys learn better if you just walk them through something and let them venture independently. This is a great time of the year for bank fishing.

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10790775 04/23/15 05:17 PM
F
fishinlance Offline
Angler
Angler
F
start easy zebco 33 or spinning real,use lures that are catch all like the old beetle spins,meps in line spinner's and my favorite is the jitter bug.let them get that first bite that us fisherman love they will be hooked from now on

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10790784 04/23/15 05:18 PM
G
GarySHO Offline
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
G
I get to take alot of people that have never fished. I give them an easy to use rod and take them to a spot that they can get bit, sometimes I may even have to use live bait. Makes no difference to me, I like to see the smile of a kid a even adults catch their first fish or a new species.They don't need to read an article , they probably won't remember it or recognize the conditions anyway. Get them rigged to catch watever it is easiest for them to catch at the time and go from there. Crawl before walk type deal.

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Alex Finch] #10791137 04/23/15 07:00 PM
P
Patrickmo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
So far I have had mostly adults approaching me and asking for help. But definitely when some kid wants to learn fishing, I be sure to teach him all I know! I think it`s probably easier to teach a kid to fish than a grown man grin

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791202 04/23/15 07:25 PM
T
TXBeerHunter Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Give them a Zebco reel to start unless you want to cast for them the first time you are out with a bait caster, I casted for the folks I have taken who have no experience with bait casters cause that is all I have, and I wanted the lure in the best spot for presentation. Then I give them an old rod and bait casting reel and casting plug and let them take it home for a month or so to work on it. Seems to work out pretty good. The catching will get them hooked so to speak, and then they want to learn.

"If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."
- Darrell Royal
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791279 04/23/15 07:53 PM
J
jcartwheel Offline
Angler
Angler
J
If they have no experience at all the best rod and reel is a zebco. If they have a little experience and can use an open face spin cast I have those too. The best lure for a child is a spinner bait. It lets them cast and retrieve with a chance to get bit especially since their attention span is quite short. You have to make it fun and take breaks to talk about fishing and gear. Adults depend upon their knowledge of fishing, but most the time top waters, spinner baits, and a rattle trap are good lures when learning. If they are real serious and want to learn to fish soft plastics then pond fishing is the best place to teach them this art. Number one thing is to not overwhelm them and teach them patience because it takes a lot of patience to teach and to learn the correct way to fish! Most important thing is to make it enjoyable and fun and when they are ready to stop, whether it is to take a break or they are done for the trip then stop! I have had some kids that will fish all day and some quit after a couple of hours. Remember it is not about YOU, but them and everyone learns at different rates.

Jeff Cartwright, Celina Bass Club Treasurer
aka- cartwheel
GIG'EM AGGIES!!!!

"Everyone must believe in something-----I believe I'll go Fishing."

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791284 04/23/15 07:57 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
First time fisherman are much more comfortable on the bank of a pond than out in a boat. Boating brings on a whole different world that needs more attention than fishing. Start with a pond that you know can produce. Public ponds are not a good choice. You never know who has already been there before you and so to speak cleaned them out.

The Zebco 33 is excellent for this. I even use them when fishing areas that are tight quarters around me and limbs that are over hanging. They are easy to just flip it out there when targeting is not necessary. Use the lighter, smaller baits like the Beetle Spin with a Sassy Shad and the Chatter bait 1/4 oz., so they are casting and retrieving the lures.

Offer up those reads that you mentioned along with a couple of boater videos. Once they have reached success on the pond fishing trips then take ONLY one out in the boat and start that learning experience one on one.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791296 04/23/15 07:59 PM
A
AgSellers04 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Just make sure they catch some fish or they will lose interest.

PBs

LMB- 11 lbs., 7 oz. Falcon

Striper- 40 lb. Long Is. Sound
BlueCat- 30 lb. Texoma
Hybrid-8.2 lb. Lewisville
Cutthroat Trout-22" Yellowstone R, WY
Rainbow Trout- 21" Blitzen R, OR
Steelhead- 8 lb. Umpqua R, OR
Redfish-20 lb. Panama C. Bay, FL

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791299 04/23/15 08:00 PM
M
MidloMan Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Weightless Senko in a pond it will get them hooked

23, Poker Player
Fishing has become more than a hobby

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: MidloMan] #10791541 04/23/15 09:17 PM
L
LastCastPodcast Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I've got a theory that the biggest problem newbies have is setting the hook a second and a half after the fish is gone. It's infuriating to watch.

So I try and give them a bobber and worm, or a fly rod on a clear creek where you can see the fish rise. It helps if there are a lot of aggressive green sunnies to help them practice their hair-trigger reflexes.

Last Cast Podcast: Two TPWD-certified elite anglers. One canoe.
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791594 04/23/15 09:42 PM
T
TXBeerHunter Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Or when the hook set looks like when you are hopping a jig. I ask 'What was that'. hook set they say. If you don't look like you are trying to kill something, it really isn't a hook set, at least most times. I showed a guy what he was supposed to do and a poor 1.5 lbr went airborne and hit the boat, he though I was nuts. I usually put on a wacky rig worm figuring many times the fish may hook himself.

"If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."
- Darrell Royal
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791710 04/23/15 10:38 PM
B
Bayou Burner Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Great advice here. Took my neighbors grandson last year quite a few times.

Weightless stick worms/rattlesnakes on a spinning rod.

Within a week, he caught a 7.68 lber.

He's ruined for life now... grin

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

John Wayne

ADHAERO VIRTUTI
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791751 04/23/15 11:01 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Agree weightless trig and weightless wacky stick and ring worms are easy to learn and will catch bass, bluegill, and sunfish. Add a split shot if it's windy.

I'd go with three rods---
one with a cast and retrieve bait like a beetle spin/rattle trap/h+h spinner bait to learn different speed retrieves
one with a twitch and pause bait like a weightless yum dinger to learn the feel of "the tap"
one with a 3/8oz bullet weight pegged 10 inches above 3/0hook with plastic craw so they can learn to feel changes in bottom characteristics.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide