Forums59
Topics1,038,935
Posts13,955,800
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10791761 04/23/15 11:06 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Outstanding response Mr. Harper! The only thing I can add is teach them to cast before you go to the pond. Even loan them the equipment they'll be using and let them practice with it at home b4 their trip.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: CCTX] #10791975 04/24/15 12:47 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Agree weightless trig and weightless wacky stick and ring worms are easy to learn and will catch bass, bluegill, and sunfish. Add a split shot if it's windy.

I'd go with three rods---
one with a cast and retrieve bait like a beetle spin/rattle trap/h+h spinner bait to learn different speed retrieves
one with a twitch and pause bait like a weightless yum dinger to learn the feel of "the tap"
one with a 3/8oz bullet weight pegged 10 inches above 3/0hook with plastic craw so they can learn to feel changes in bottom characteristics.

Good response also. Teaching as many of the different techniques as possible on the same day and giving them a chance to catch fish on all of them. You can even set out a few robbers rigged with worms. That will surly keep them busy.

On a side note: Teach them to tie a knot before you even go. Man-O-Man does that save everyone fishing time. You can screw an eye screw in the wall anywhere and using a piece of string teach a couple of knots really quick. They will enjoy practicing and getting faster and faster.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10792536 04/24/15 04:32 AM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Really good advice on the knot tying. My neighbor is going to Lake Fork this weekend on a father/son camp out fishing trip. They've never really fished before, and I had thirty minutes to teach him how to rig up a rod, tie a good knot, and fish a weightless stick bait. When I was teaching him the clinch and uni, he said "I'm never going to remember those" So I let him borrow a couple of rods and tied a doubled unis with nine wraps hoping it'll last him the weekend. Told him to download a knot tying app.

PSA: be on the lookout for two pontoon boats on Fork this weekend with ten or so seven year olds with their dads.

[Linked Image]
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10792618 04/24/15 08:18 AM
T
txfsh Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I took my grandson fishing when he was 8 years old and the first time out he didn't catch a thing. The second time he wasn,t paying attention and again didn't catch a thing and lost interest after a half hour or so and wanted to go home to play video games. I feared I was going to lose him to the TV screen forever and knew I had to do something quick that would keep his interest in fishing. Kids being kids I knew perch jerking wasn't going to last long and I wanted him to "catch the big one". I decided to take him carp fishing and that did it. He ended up getting several "big fish" and throughly enjoyed it. Now he is ready to move on to bass fishing so we started to fish some this year. My point is to get them used to fishing, either by pond fishing or carp fishing with a high measure of success. If they go bass fishing the first couple time and dont catch anything they will lose interest fast and that would be a shame.

You never want a drink of water till the well runs dry
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Donald Harper] #10792665 04/24/15 10:56 AM
R
Rudy Lackey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
First time fisherman are much more comfortable on the bank of a pond than out in a boat. Boating brings on a whole different world that needs more attention than fishing. Start with a pond that you know can produce. Public ponds are not a good choice. You never know who has already been there before you and so to speak cleaned them out.

The Zebco 33 is excellent for this. I even use them when fishing areas that are tight quarters around me and limbs that are over hanging. They are easy to just flip it out there when targeting is not necessary. Use the lighter, smaller baits like the Beetle Spin with a Sassy Shad and the Chatter bait 1/4 oz., so they are casting and retrieving the lures.
Good advice,bank fish at local lakes.

Offer up those reads that you mentioned along with a couple of boater videos. Once they have reached success on the pond fishing trips then take ONLY one out in the boat and start that learning experience one on one.

Rudy
Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10792850 04/24/15 12:48 PM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Just take them fishing with you and have them do what you are doing to catch fish.

Re: How you guys teach someone to fish? [Re: Patrickmo] #10793029 04/24/15 01:57 PM
P
Patrickmo Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
That`s a good idea to take them out to some pond at first. To be honest, I was ready to take them out with a boat instantly. grin I`m not that sure about spincast reels though, I think i can probably get them some cheap spinning reel and rod combo that can be used after they advance from the complete beginner stage too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide