Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,822
Posts13,935,129
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! #10787673 04/22/15 06:52 PM
C
captain steve barnes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I finally took the time to call T.P.W.D. about the fact that 16 year old can not buy lake texoma license from TX, it must be purchased from Oklahoma. I really thought that it might just be an oversight and a easy fix. Well I went up three wrung's on the ladder and met with nothing but opposition.Looks to me like T.P.W.D. would be liable for 16 year old getting a ticket by refusing to sell license.What are your thoughts?

Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: captain steve barnes] #10787898 04/22/15 07:50 PM
W
Wildferret Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
We learned years ago that the state will never accept responsibility for what they do or fail to do . Case in point 16 or so years ago my brother a friend and myself set our boat in below the dam to do a little fishing . At that time the TPWD fishing rule book said that the State of Texas controlled the water from the dam down too Shawnee creek so to stay legal I whooped out my trusty GPS and started tracking our drifts so we would not venture into Oklahoma waters and break the law . After not much more than an hour or so we decided we would head over to Ray Roberts because with no flow the river was all but dead , after we had loaded the boat and were about to leave we were blocked by Oklahoma wildlife and ordered to produce our fishing license which we gladly did ,after that they said they needed our drivers license also and said we had committed a violation and we were all getting tickets and we asked for what and they said for fishing Oklahoma waters without their license . So I pulled out the TPWD manual and showed them what Texas had printed about Texas waters down to Shawnee creek , then one of them spoke up and said we had gone past Shawnee that they had watched us . Then I remembered I had been tracking with my GPS and I showed it to them which basically said they were lying this made them real mad and one of them that was beet red in the face kept fingering his gun which made us plenty nervous . Then they started to get madder and said that only by their graces That Texans were allowed to fish in the river . In the end they said we would not get our drivers or fishing license back until we followed them to a store and gave them several hundred dollars worth of money orders to get them back . Later over the next couple of weeks of talking to the state of Texas they basically said they were not liable and would not pay our fines because we followed their printed rules but after that year the book was changed and the state put "from the Texas Bank" after that . All three of us have never been back and never will .

Last edited by Wildferret; 04/22/15 08:21 PM.
Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: captain steve barnes] #10787956 04/22/15 08:05 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Steve, I hear ya! This happens very often. I always tell them to go to Dave's Ski and Tackle so they can get one for the Oklahoma side.

Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: captain steve barnes] #10788955 04/23/15 12:55 AM
Fishing Frank Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
So how much did ya'll have to shell out if I may ask?

Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: captain steve barnes] #10789192 04/23/15 02:13 AM
C
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
The river is a whole different subject. I guess i am the only one that this really bothers.

Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: captain steve barnes] #10789228 04/23/15 02:27 AM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I could go on and on about this. I live 30 miles from the red river and have dealt with the B.S. that is Oklahoma game laws all my life. Its a racquet and always has been. Its a shame too because Oklahoma is such a beautiful state with so much to offer. But they're non-resident policies are atrocious.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: Wildferret] #10790323 04/23/15 03:23 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Wildferret
We learned years ago that the state will never accept responsibility for what they do or fail to do . Case in point 16 or so years ago my brother a friend and myself set our boat in below the dam to do a little fishing . At that time the TPWD fishing rule book said that the State of Texas controlled the water from the dam down too Shawnee creek so to stay legal I whooped out my trusty GPS and started tracking our drifts so we would not venture into Oklahoma waters and break the law . After not much more than an hour or so we decided we would head over to Ray Roberts because with no flow the river was all but dead , after we had loaded the boat and were about to leave we were blocked by Oklahoma wildlife and ordered to produce our fishing license which we gladly did ,after that they said they needed our drivers license also and said we had committed a violation and we were all getting tickets and we asked for what and they said for fishing Oklahoma waters without their license . So I pulled out the TPWD manual and showed them what Texas had printed about Texas waters down to Shawnee creek , then one of them spoke up and said we had gone past Shawnee that they had watched us . Then I remembered I had been tracking with my GPS and I showed it to them which basically said they were lying this made them real mad and one of them that was beet red in the face kept fingering his gun which made us plenty nervous . Then they started to get madder and said that only by their graces That Texans were allowed to fish in the river . In the end they said we would not get our drivers or fishing license back until we followed them to a store and gave them several hundred dollars worth of money orders to get them back . Later over the next couple of weeks of talking to the state of Texas they basically said they were not liable and would not pay our fines because we followed their printed rules but after that year the book was changed and the state put "from the Texas Bank" after that . All three of us have never been back and never will .

I'd be curious to hear more about this part myself? They fined you on the spot, and extorted payment on the spot? That doesn't sound exactly legal to me. I'd even be curious exactly where those money orders went? I'm afraid I'd have had to tell them keep my stuff, and my lawyer and I would see them in a court room at a later date, but I understand in certain situations you do what you gotta do.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: Wildferret] #10790901 04/23/15 05:51 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Where did you launch your boat? OK side? There is no boat launching area at TX side. Did OK Game Warden come across the state boarder to block and stop you on TX side? I am just curious, very interesting situation.

Originally Posted By: Wildferret

Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: captain steve barnes] #10791899 04/24/15 12:14 AM
C
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Please lay off with the thread hijacking. I would like to know if anyone has any ideas on how we could get this fixed so 16 year old can purchase Lake Texoma license from T.P.W.D.

Re: T.P.W.D. needs to do something about Lake Texoma License Glitch!!!!!!! [Re: captain steve barnes] #10792066 04/24/15 01:18 AM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Steve, get with the local state rep is our best option!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide