texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,878
Posts13,954,670
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
common carp #10786677 04/22/15 01:46 PM
T
TexasBassBuster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Im very new to fishing for rough fish/carp. IS there a post on here with photos and names of the different species of carp? I caught 2 yesterday and i am not sure what kind they are. Im assuming they are common carp but not sure. Thanks.

Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10786812 04/22/15 02:38 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Those are common carp. They get much bigger. Even the small ones can put up a pretty good fight.

Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10786918 04/22/15 03:04 PM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
thank you. now i just need to figure out how to stop the catfish from eating my bait. I caught 4 small channel cats before I had a carp on. I never thought I would say I want the catfish to go away and carp to bite... The carp are fun to catch. These are my first 2 carp I ever caught!! Good times ahead.

Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10787728 04/22/15 07:06 PM
G
greentumater Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Your in for bliss when you get into your first lean upper teener. Multiply that fight in magnitudes for sporting pleasure.There are baits that will put the catfish to carp bite ratio in your favor.It's a smelly science.Go for a good pineapple flavored bait such as pineapple corn or boilie. Avoid fishey flavors.Flavors can be bought online from carp fishing outfitter such as K-1 baits, Big carp tackle and many others. Also some of the Kool-Aid flavors might work but I've had good luck with pineapple.You can boil deer corn and add the flavoror buy the flavored corn from the companies but these are best used with a homemade hair rigand a cheap baiting needle from these companies. You could do it with a bit of effort.I pretty much taught myself from reading post and researching the internet but it took some time to get it down.

Last edited by greentumater; 04/22/15 07:18 PM.
Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10789219 04/23/15 02:23 AM
S
ScottEvil Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
My old stomping grounds - GP

Some decent carp in Mountain Creek, but Grapevine and White Rock hold the biggest of the dfw lakes

Bowfishing sucks
Re: common carp [Re: greentumater] #10789876 04/23/15 01:02 PM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: greentumater
Your in for bliss when you get into your first lean upper teener. Multiply that fight in magnitudes for sporting pleasure.There are baits that will put the catfish to carp bite ratio in your favor.It's a smelly science.Go for a good pineapple flavored bait such as pineapple corn or boilie. Avoid fishey flavors.Flavors can be bought online from carp fishing outfitter such as K-1 baits, Big carp tackle and many others. Also some of the Kool-Aid flavors might work but I've had good luck with pineapple.You can boil deer corn and add the flavoror buy the flavored corn from the companies but these are best used with a homemade hair rigand a cheap baiting needle from these companies. You could do it with a bit of effort.I pretty much taught myself from reading post and researching the internet but it took some time to get it down.

thank you for the tips. I made some boilies out of flour, sugar, cherry koolaid & water. rolled them up and boiled and let sit out for 24 hours. When I finally got around to using them nothing would bite them. I had another rod rigged with corn and i caught all the fish on corn. As soon as I put corn on the boilie rig (hair rig) within 5 minutes i caught a carp. I might make a new batch of very small boilies with pineapple and corn in them. As well as buying some flavors from the websites you mentioned.

Thank you once again

Re: common carp [Re: ScottEvil] #10789880 04/23/15 01:03 PM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: ScottEvil
My old stomping grounds - GP

Some decent carp in Mountain Creek, but Grapevine and White Rock hold the biggest of the dfw lakes

huh never would of thought grapevine. I have only fished it a handful of times. what part of the lake? coves, north, south?

thanks

Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10790419 04/23/15 03:52 PM
G
greentumater Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Well if you know how to tie a hair rig here is a proven carp catching bait that I have used and If there are carp in the area in general consider them as good as caught. K-1 pineapple corn.I've always thought the pineapple corn outfished pineapple boilies, but to really get the full fish hauling effect go ahead and order some 2 or 3 ounce method feeders and use 1 42ounce box of whole oats and 2 cans of cream style corn(some whole kernel can corn can also be added if you wish) as a method mix. This will pack on the method feeder and dissolve near your hookbait after landing on the bottom.I don't know how you threaded the boilies you used on the hair rig but the best way to thread boilies or corn is a baiting needle also use a number 6 hook and thread 3 pieces of corn on the hairig. The corn you will be using is much tougher than can corn and once threaded on the hair rig it won't come off. Also order some cheap boilie stops to keep the corn or boilies from sliding back off the hair rig. With the proper carp rod you can easily fish 60 yards out or more if need be. You can also flavor the method mix with some of the pineapple flavoring that they sell or other flavors that might not be so attractive to the catfish but still attract carp.

Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10791170 04/23/15 07:12 PM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
I ordered a method feeder and method feeder mix last week. I have the mix but not the feeder yet. I saw a video of a guy who just used the m8x and balled it around his bait, should do the same thing as the mold does. I also ordered me bait needles. I found that the sinker stoppers work for now until I order some. (the ones bass fisherman use to keep bullet weights from slipping up the line)
I just wish there was a place locally that I could go and get some things instead of ordering it from England. I guess us Americans aren't rough fishermen. I see all the videos on YouTube of the euro style carp fisherman and all their gear, all of it really is cool as heck. I'm looking into buying some cheaper bite alarms now just to see how I like them so I don't have to concentrate so hard on watching my line. Funny story I wasn't doing much yesterday so I went to home depot and bought some pvc and fittings and built me a 4 rod and reel rod pod. Now I need some decent rods to fill it up.

Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10791319 04/23/15 08:06 PM
G
greentumater Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Young grasshopper you are following in my own footsteps. K-1 baits can get you the goodies to you in just a few days. Big carp tackle is even closer and about 2 days.The pvc setup will work fine it is still what I use and I think I can still brag just as loud as any one on my teams results I narrowed down from a three rod PVC setup to a two rod setup and also have no problems at times just using 3 dollar banksticks..It's about having fun not about the most expensive gear.Don't worry about filling up an expensive 4 rod setup. If the fish are there cut your cost in half and ease of setup and take down and go with a two rod setup.Believe me once you are really on to the fish a two rod setup can keep even a 2 man team very busy.I often go with just a single rod when fishing solo to avoid too many doubles if the fish are there.I have been using a 4 pack of Chinese alarms that I bought many years ago for less than 30 dollarsfor all 4 They can be purchased on ebay. I really like the ones that use 9 volt batteries,They are reasonable durable and have been down to the bottom of the lake and back many times from carp rippng the rods into the water when I forgot to put my baitrunner switch on my okuma 50 baitrunner reels. They mostly still work reasonably well even though I abused them.Here's a thirtyseven + pound freight train that my son I cpr'd on lake Austin a couple of years back.Guys out there don't always post there captures here but this is the biggest lake Austin capture by far posted here on the forum in years, hard pressed to find even a thirty posted here.

Last edited by greentumater; 04/23/15 08:22 PM.
Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10791772 04/23/15 11:11 PM
S
ScottEvil Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S

Bowfishing sucks
Re: common carp [Re: greentumater] #10792364 04/24/15 03:10 AM
T
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: greentumater
Young grasshopper you are following in my own footsteps. K-1 baits can get you the goodies to you in just a few days. Big carp tackle is even closer and about 2 days.The pvc setup will work fine it is still what I use and I think I can still brag just as loud as any one on my teams results I narrowed down from a three rod PVC setup to a two rod setup and also have no problems at times just using 3 dollar banksticks..It's about having fun not about the most expensive gear.Don't worry about filling up an expensive 4 rod setup. If the fish are there cut your cost in half and ease of setup and take down and go with a two rod setup.Believe me once you are really on to the fish a two rod setup can keep even a 2 man team very busy.I often go with just a single rod when fishing solo to avoid too many doubles if the fish are there.I have been using a 4 pack of Chinese alarms that I bought many years ago for less than 30 dollarsfor all 4 They can be purchased on ebay. I really like the ones that use 9 volt batteries,They are reasonable durable and have been down to the bottom of the lake and back many times from carp rippng the rods into the water when I forgot to put my baitrunner switch on my okuma 50 baitrunner reels. They mostly still work reasonably well even though I abused them.Here's a thirtyseven + pound freight train that my son I cpr'd on lake Austin a couple of years back.Guys out there don't always post there captures here but this is the biggest lake Austin capture by far posted here on the forum in years, hard pressed to find even a thirty posted here.

Very nice fish. I bet it took a while to land. Today I went fishing after work and had a busy hour or so. I couldn't keep 2 poles in the water they were biting so fast. Once again thank you for your help and tips

Re: common carp [Re: TexasBassBuster] #10793008 04/24/15 01:49 PM
G
greentumater Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
This one was the hardest fighter by far we ever captured. It made multiple runs and we fought it over 15 minutes. We thought it was a big buffalo at first.Scott has been doing well with those spash baits on ladybird lake I hear!Also if your catching them like crazy on can corn there is no need to really change anything. Can corn is very effective but maybe slightly more attractive to the catfish than some of the flavored stuff.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide