Forums59
Topics1,039,162
Posts13,960,194
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How long do you stay in an area? [Re: plasma800] #10786190 04/22/15 03:46 AM
H
H B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: plasma800
Oh man, I will tie off to a tree or a stickup, and I might fish that whole area with one or two lures for an hour or more. If i'm getting strikes, I'll stay, and maybe only move 25 yards to the next spot for an hour or two.

Last week, I was out in a BUNCH of stickups. I was tied up, and had a catch rate of 3 to 4 an hour right where I was. While sitting there, I counted 13 boats scoot right by me in a single pass, not a one caught a single fish. But as they pass by, here we are yanking nice fish out of the water.

I never understand why some fisherman don't give a fishy area a good good chance to produce by just slowing down and spending some time to figure out what's going on there.

Sometimes I'll throw a lure 50 times to the same spot (area), working it many different ways til I hook up, then I'll keep up with that same lure and presentation and it keeps producing. I pulled 4 fish off the exact same stump pile under the water in as many as 12 casts. I could feel it, but not see it. I just kept at it, there was some schooling going on there, so I kept hammering away it, then my wife pulls a 3-4 lber right off the same pile.

If we had just cast once there, we'd have missed 5 nice fish. Matter of fact, 4 other people scoooooted right by it, each casting once in the general area, almost hitting our boat (which is rude) didn't get a strike and kept on moving right by, seconds later I'm fish on in the exact same spot.

For me, it's NOT about how fast can I cover as much water as possible... it's how can I really, solidly cover the water right here.

In that whole 5 hours, we moved less than 500 yards the whole time.

You'll notice the cord from my cleat, it's tied to a tree smile

And ya know what else... after spending so much time in that exact area, I now know precisely where every underwater stump is, a bunch of piles, and I know where and how deep into that little set of sticks I can get without getting stuck. I understand that back of that cove and front, only on one side, but next time I'm there, it's all gps'd and ready for me.

There's also a road bed down there running right through the timber in front of your boat, drag a C-rig through there, you'll find it...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How long do you stay in an area? [Re: JoeyC] #10789567 04/23/15 05:15 AM
D
davidsonbasser Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Depends on if you are a quality fisherman or quantity fisherman. If size is your game, I would say stay with a technique and location for at least 30 mins before changing either. Some of your big bass gurus will tell you the same. If you are like me and dont care what size, just want to put some fish in the boat, then best advice I was ever given was to find fish first. This means giving up what may look like good cover if you see no signs that bass are feeding. I will usually run around a lake (given its size and gas in my boat) for about an 30 mins just looking for fish biting or baitfish swells before I toss my line out. If i dont find any, THEN I start fishing what and where I think bass will be, like most of us do. Of course what lure your using should dictate how long you have it tied on. Hopping a jig takes longer than burning a spinnerbait. Luckily depending on the cover or structure your fishing you should know what to use. You wouldnt use a crankbait in lilypads for example. But typically, with the exception of slow lures like jigs or dropshotting, I will stay in the area for around 15 mins, again given its size. If im fishing a lilypad field, I will try the two most popular techniques, topwater and flipping/pitching. If a topwater frog doesnt work after, oh idk, five casts, I will put on another topwater. But usually thats my limit, then I will switch to flipping or pitching for another 10 casts or so. I wont use every topwater or every soft plastic I have on this one lilypad field, nor will I cast to every single opening. Yea, I may skip over a fish doing this, but somewhere on the lake another fish will be more willing to bite. So now I will go to a rock pile. Here I will use a crankbait, most likely craw pattern, for a few casts, never casting over an area twice. I want to work my way around the pile from different angles to see if any fish are willing biters primarily. If i get a short strike or know fish are there but wont bite, then I will tie on a jig. Again, I will only use a color pattern that I know bass on rock piles are prone to biting on. Notice how with the crank I didnt change colors after no bites. Same with jig. Of course the jig is being worked slower, but even still I wont spend more than 15 mins working that pile with the jig. Since I used the two big techniques known to work on piles, if I get no bites after my time is up, I will move on. You get the basics tho. Fish as if you were being timed. Give yourself a time limit and, unless using slow techniques, stick to that limit. As I said you will fish right past a lot of fish, but you will locate the willing biters much faster this way. Its all a preference tho. Im the guy everyone hates to fish with cause my boat is never parked in a spot for longer than 20 mins or so. I have never anchored down before. But to me there is just no sense in pounding an area for an hour to make a tight lipped bass bite, when I know there are fish right down the lake that will bite in an instant. Then again, many BIG bass have been coaxed by fisherman fishing a spot for two to three hours, so both ways have their advantages. Its all about YOUR preference. I hardly ever catch the biggest bass on a trip with buddies. In fact my average size fish I catch are right around legal limit, but thats my style. Idc how big as long as I have something on the end of my line. But about 75 percent of the time, I will catch the most as far as numbers go.

Last edited by davidsonbasser; 04/23/15 05:31 AM.

Re: How long do you stay in an area? [Re: JoeyC] #10789696 04/23/15 11:47 AM
S
slim1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Years ago I fished with a club in Louisiana. The day our big tournament of the year was held my boat was broke so I loaded my Bass Hunter in the back of the pickup and headed to the north end of Toledo Bend. I was going to fish that tournament one way or another. We started at 6 AM and weigh in was at 2 PM. I never got out of site of the ramp. About 11:30 my prop broke off my trolling motor. I didn't have a paddle. The wind was calm so I tied on the biggest spinner bait I had. I'd throw it and try to get hung up so I could pull myself towards to ramp. While doing this I caught a 6.4 bass. I got to the ramp about 12:30. I ended up winning the tournament and a $650 big bass pot. That day taught me to take my time. I didn't need to run all over the lake. Just pick a good spot and fish it.

PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
Riding With Respect
Flag Captain
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide