Forums59
Topics1,037,859
Posts13,935,709
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10783721 04/21/15 12:21 PM
A
AgSellers04 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
You hit the nail on the head. Now everybody just take up carp fishin and move right along... ninja

PBs

LMB- 11 lbs., 7 oz. Falcon

Striper- 40 lb. Long Is. Sound
BlueCat- 30 lb. Texoma
Hybrid-8.2 lb. Lewisville
Cutthroat Trout-22" Yellowstone R, WY
Rainbow Trout- 21" Blitzen R, OR
Steelhead- 8 lb. Umpqua R, OR
Redfish-20 lb. Panama C. Bay, FL

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10783760 04/21/15 12:42 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I do see the point being made though , cypress springs is probably the best example

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10783790 04/21/15 12:57 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have a lake place also and definitely not rich. I will also bet that lake home owners, not all but a lot, put more cover in the lake that protects bass than anyone that goes to the lake to fish. I can also assure you that on most lakes without lake home owners the banks would be covered with trash from [censored] that blows out of boats or is just plain pitched over the side. We pick up about 20 trash bags of [censored] a year just on our 250 foot stretch.
Yes there are many homeowners that don't fish and don't like hydrilla but usually it is the water municipality that wants the grass gone. The home owners just reinforce that sentiment.
I agree that grass carp are the devil but don't solely blame the home owners. Go out and build some big brush piles to make up for the loss of grass.

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10783982 04/21/15 01:43 PM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
man am i glad i saw this post. i was just getting ready to take a couple props to steve to be tuned up and order a bunch of bait blanks to paint. whew! this saves me a bunch of money. i've already ordered a load of potting soil so i can turn the boat into a really unique planter box. i hope our hoa will let me put it in the front yard. let's see. oh yeah, i'm taking all the hooks off our hard baits and turning them into christmas ornaments and i'm going to use all the soft plastics at halloween to scare the living [censored] out of the lake home owners kids. since i dont need fuel anymore i took the gas tanks out. wasn't sure what to do with them so i set them adrift in one of the area lakes. hopefully someone will find them and put them to good use. the gas that was left in them is a freebee. i 'm putting a 20" blade on the trolling motor and gonna use it to keep the garage cool, and i'm going to put a mini home on the trailer for traveling so i can save money on hotels. god bless the lake home owners for looking out for the rest of us who spend way too much on this horrible addiction. i may even consider a little rehab to rid myself of the urge to do the "f" word again. (that's "f" for fish for you deviates)

"dreamers have tomorrow if today does not come true"
Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10783988 04/21/15 01:44 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Guess you young whipper snappers don't remember Cedar Creek in the early days.

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10783997 04/21/15 01:46 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
.... On a note with some numbers behind it...

All studies have shown that lakes with less than 25% grass coverage will support more pounds of bass per acre....

wish we could vote ppl of the island here lol

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10784018 04/21/15 01:52 PM
T
Transplant Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Lake Jacksonville USED to be a GREAT lake..............in come grass carp (which TPW admits they overstocked!!). Now it's just an ordinary lake!!!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death,
it's much more important than that!
10 pounds 2 oz.(Pat Mayse)
10.88 lbs PB (Lake Fork)
Garmin Pro Staff http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/rmlaskey2/library/
Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad] #10784025 04/21/15 01:53 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I didn't know grass carp killed fish population. They are stocked in the lake I fish several times a week and have been for years along with tilapia to control grass. I wish they would leave it be,but the poa has voted to keep the grass out. In our tournament saturday more than half the field was over 20lbs. Guess bass can't survive with out grass
Here was my bag 21.95 good enough for 5th place.

Grass carp eventually will remove all of the hydrilla from a lake. This means less cover for small bass to hide/survive in. If there is plenty of other cover, then the lake should be fine. In most lakes, especially in drought conditions, a lake lacks good cover for small fish to survive in and the fish numbers will suffer.

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10784044 04/21/15 01:57 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Yes, you can catch big stringers on a lot of lakes in the spring when the fish are forced to the bank by nature. What about the rest of the year? The largemouth bass is a creature that prefers relatively shallow, weedy waters...especially the Florida bass. Without grass to hold baitfish and therefore bass the bass become roaming nomads, suspending and following bait throughout the water column. Ask yourselves which fish is easier to catch...a shallow fish hanging out in one area because it has all the food and cover it needs, or a suspending fish in open water.

Besides, hydrilla is by far easier to fish than most of the other vegetation we have in the water now. You can bring a lure through it without fouling the bait and the hook.

The alligator grass on Sandlin and a lot of our other lakes (Tyler, for example) holds fish, but good luck if you hook into a big one on the back side of it. It's like copper wire.

I'm sure the homeowners on Cypress Springs probably wonder why the water is so dingy so much of the time. "Whatever happened to the beautiful clear water we used to have?"

On a scale of 1 to 10, TP&W and local governing bodies assign a value of 9.5 to lakeside homeowners and their desires. Fishermen are about a 2.

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: Tiltman] #10784149 04/21/15 02:34 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Tiltman
I do see the point being made though , cypress springs is probably the best example

Right!! They destroyed the clarity and beauty of the water. TPWD determined the lake to not be beneficial for stocking due to the lack of habitat . Part of their approved destruction of habitat, now they refuse to stock LM in it. Pretty comical seeing the hypocrisy. I'm not a fan of the TPWD, although they have done a few good things over the years.

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10784256 04/21/15 03:21 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Sure are a lot of fisheries biologist on this topic.....

All that time I spent tryin' to study up at A&M, then all them years workin' for old guys that spent lifetimes, and I never knew that largemouth bass ate hydrilla! That if there is no grass for a bass to eat, there will be no bass in that water.

Man what an epiphany! Now I don't havta feed fish and crawfish to my bass at my fishin' club, they can jest eat all that grass that grows out there. I'ma gonna be rich!

Sheesh. Bass eat live food, lakes and ponds, that are weed choked produce far less food and therefor far lower standing crops of bass, than those where the energy that may have been lost to weeds went into plankton and ultimately fish.

Now saying that, I certainly do understand the need for appropriate habitat, which may or may not include aquatic plants. Each case is unique.

In my area, too aggressive a weed control program, say overstocking grass carp or using a powerful herbicide such as "Sonar," may indeed result in a muddy lake that is all but useless as a bass fishery.

My saying for the large, shallow, windblown lakes in my area is, "You can bass fish a weedy lake, but you cannot bass fish a muddy one."

A balanced program of habitat management, especially if a fishery development program, which may include either controlling, or in some cases even establishing, various aquatic plants is the path to better fishing and aesthetics in lakes with homes around them.

Just outright saying carp kills bass is somewhat misleading at best, an out an out untruth at worst.

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10784287 04/21/15 03:32 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
You with the facts, get out of here now! LMAO!

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: Fishbreeder] #10784924 04/21/15 06:46 PM
C
CTA Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Sure are a lot of fisheries biologist on this topic.....

All that time I spent tryin' to study up at A&M, then all them years workin' for old guys that spent lifetimes, and I never knew that largemouth bass ate hydrilla! That if there is no grass for a bass to eat, there will be no bass in that water.

Man what an epiphany! Now I don't havta feed fish and crawfish to my bass at my fishin' club, they can jest eat all that grass that grows out there. I'ma gonna be rich!

Sheesh. Bass eat live food, lakes and ponds, that are weed choked produce far less food and therefor far lower standing crops of bass, than those where the energy that may have been lost to weeds went into plankton and ultimately fish.

Now saying that, I certainly do understand the need for appropriate habitat, which may or may not include aquatic plants. Each case is unique.

In my area, too aggressive a weed control program, say overstocking grass carp or using a powerful herbicide such as "Sonar," may indeed result in a muddy lake that is all but useless as a bass fishery.

My saying for the large, shallow, windblown lakes in my area is, "You can bass fish a weedy lake, but you cannot bass fish a muddy one."

A balanced program of habitat management, especially if a fishery development program, which may include either controlling, or in some cases even establishing, various aquatic plants is the path to better fishing and aesthetics in lakes with homes around them.

Just outright saying carp kills bass is somewhat misleading at best, an out an out untruth at worst.

Now now..no need in ruining a good rambling with facts and common sense!

I do believe the OP has sumpin against rich folk too.

Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: RZ520] #10784943 04/21/15 06:49 PM
T
TDR2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Home owners with the right property pay thousands of dollars in property tax on a yearly basis. The right homes can maybe 50-60k in property taxes every year. Trust me.. I definitely fall on the side of the angler in this argument, but to act like the tax money collected on lake houses isn't significant is silly.

P1
Re: Lake home-owners = end of Bass fishing [Re: Fishingking] #10785019 04/21/15 07:14 PM
S
SS7 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Fishingking, yes Cedar Creek had a line of thick coontail moss all the way around the lake.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide