Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chrome Red Baits #10768907 04/15/15 03:18 AM
B
Big Kev Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I am just a mere fisherman but had an idea that I would like to see come into reality. Is there any one out there in the custom bait world who applies a metallic surface to there lures? Specifically chrome red? If so do you offer them for sale? Brief history on my idea. I have a chrome red rattle trap that works wonders on many East Texas lakes "my fish finder" and had a thought one day. What if I could find a crank bait (10XD, 8XD, 6XD......) / one knocker / Jerk Bait / Flutter Spoon..... in chrome red. Yet I have been unable to find such an animal. I have researched ways of adding chrome to baits via automobile chroming (hair dryer and razor, done) but when I ordered a sheet it came in regular old chrome and not red (entirely different story). Before I go out and hunt down another dealer for red chrome I thought I might check and see if anyone does this and is interested in selling or if some one is interested in modifying some baits I currently have. Please let me know if you are interested. If not I understand and a blank stare would not be out of the question.

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10768947 04/15/15 03:43 AM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C
Metal lipless red baits work well due to the tight wiggle on retrieve, imo, mimicking a red crawfish. They will sink when paused.

If you want to fish deeper, my first thought would be to buy a one ounce or 3/4 oz metal red chrome lipless.

Rat L Trap is available in 3/4oz red chrome

Deeper cranks (made out of plastic so they back up and suspend on pausing the retrieve) available in red chrome include the wiggle wart

Metal red spoons are also available

[Linked Image]
Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769025 04/15/15 04:54 AM
B
Big Kev Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thank you for the info collincountytx, you are probably right about the tight wobble and mimicking a crawfish. My thoughts were based on the wave length of red and the flash of the chrome. Typically (depending on water clarity and clear sky vs cloud sky....) the color red dies off at 20' of water depth. Red starts to fade into the back ground as shallow as 5'. When you hit about 50' you can say good buy to yellows. Blues and blacks stay around the deepest. In the wild the prey normally tries to blend into the background as to not get eaten and the predators have picked up on that, finding other ways other than site to locate the prey (hence ghost patterns working so well in clear water). I just wanted to experiment with various baits in order to test that theory and have not found very many out there. BTW where did you find the image of the Wiggle Wart in chrome red? I searched on the internet for a little bit and was unable to find one. If I can not find any one who can chrome baits I might just put the scuba gear on and hit a clear water lake, drag one down with me and see how my thought process works out. If everything pans out I will put more effort in finding a way to make it happen.

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769041 04/15/15 05:38 AM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I'm not real sure how to go about the finish your looking for my first thought was to do a silver leaf with a light coat of transparent red.

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769287 04/15/15 12:57 PM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
if you really want a true chrome you're going to have to go to an enamel paint. i would do a chrome base and use a candy apple red to get the red color. spazstix has a good chrome. to do it right you need a black base coat, then the chrome, then the candy apple red and a sealer. that's gonna get pricey for one or two lures. paint alone would be $25-30.

"dreamers have tomorrow if today does not come true"
Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769296 04/15/15 01:01 PM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C
Originally Posted By: Big Kev
Thank you for the info collincountytx, you are probably right about the tight wobble and mimicking a crawfish. My thoughts were based on the wave length of red and the flash of the chrome. Typically (depending on water clarity and clear sky vs cloud sky....) the color red dies off at 20' of water depth. Red starts to fade into the back ground as shallow as 5'. When you hit about 50' you can say good buy to yellows. Blues and blacks stay around the deepest. In the wild the prey normally tries to blend into the background as to not get eaten and the predators have picked up on that, finding other ways other than site to locate the prey (hence ghost patterns working so well in clear water). I just wanted to experiment with various baits in order to test that theory and have not found very many out there. BTW where did you find the image of the Wiggle Wart in chrome red? I searched on the internet for a little bit and was unable to find one. If I can not find any one who can chrome baits I might just put the scuba gear on and hit a clear water lake, drag one down with me and see how my thought process works out. If everything pans out I will put more effort in finding a way to make it happen.

Interesting thoughts. The color red doesn't disappear (turn invisible) underwater, but first looks brownish, then black at deeper depths.

You will find this interesting--neon colors don't lose their color like spectrum colors do (see article and pictures below)

To read and see things easier in the article below: press and hold the Ctrl button and press the "+" button several times

[Linked Image]
Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769315 04/15/15 01:11 PM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
here's a wake and a 1.5 in a "chrome/red" style. actually a combination of silver, titanium, black and red accent. not quite a true chrome but they do have some brightness.

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769325 04/15/15 01:16 PM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C
The chrome red wiggle warts can be purchased at several locations search "metallic red wiggle wart" on google
It's color/model number is V105
available at basspro.com and landbigfish.com

Dale Sellers makes a custom chrome red jerkbait
sellerscustomlures.com

[Linked Image]
Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769479 04/15/15 02:07 PM
B
Big Kev Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
collincountytx you are correct. If I made it sound like red turned clear at depth I apologize, it changes color, no longer red. By changing colors it tends to blend in a little better (more of a natural look). Similar to when you catch a bass in grass it has more of a yellowish tent to it and when you catch them deep they have less color. I have seen the image you posted before, I have also seen red turn white, not sure exactly why. My only thought is the fabric has something to do with it. Similar to the UV spectrum and the old commercials for Scent Away laundry detergent. However I am thinking the chrome red will have a slight glimmer to it.
Thank you for the info on the Wiggle Wart and Dale Sellers. I will be contacting him to purchase some baits.

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10769530 04/15/15 02:22 PM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C
Cool photo!

[Linked Image]
Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10771293 04/16/15 03:10 AM
B
Big Kev Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thank you for the info Basscat dad, I did a little bit of research based on your input. You are right Spaz Stix does make a really good chrome. I went nuts and ordered the black backing, the ultimate mirror and the ultimate mirror clear coat. For the red I went with Dupli-Color MC200 Red Metal Cast Anodized Color. I also ordered it in orange, blue and yellow and I am thinking glow in the dark eyes. Odds are I will just end up with some expensive wall art (if I am lucky) or some good conversational pieces (more likely). Thanks again everybody for there input.
When I get time I plan on taking some of these baits down deep with scuba gear to see what they look like. I will probably get a Go Pro and video. I will let you all know how it goes.
PS I wish I had taken that photo. It is nice......

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10771331 04/16/15 03:29 AM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Thank you for the info Basscat dad, I did a little bit of research based on your input. You are right Spaz Stix does make a really good chrome. I went nuts and ordered the black backing, the ultimate mirror and the ultimate mirror clear coat. For the red I went with Dupli-Color MC200 Red Metal Cast Anodized Color. I also ordered it in orange, blue and yellow and I am thinking glow in the dark eyes. Odds are I will just end up with some expensive wall art (if I am lucky) or some good conversational pieces (more likely). Thanks again everybody for there input.
When I get time I plan on taking some of these baits down deep with scuba gear to see what they look like. I will probably get a Go Pro and video. I will let you all know how it goes.

wow you really did go all in. take some step by step pics. i'd love to see the progress and the finished product. one day i'm going to have to break down and get the stuff to do chrome. good luck with your work and keep us posted!

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10771729 04/16/15 01:08 PM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C

Cool! Definitely agree with Basscat. Pics of your progress and step by step photos would be great (along with the underwater pics and the big bass you catch on them)

[Linked Image]
Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10772282 04/16/15 04:26 PM
woolyhogtail Offline
Angler
Angler
Try putting red dipndye on a chrome lure?

Re: Chrome Red Baits [Re: Big Kev] #10772563 04/16/15 06:06 PM
M
Minnerdunker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Transparent red powder paint
over chrome spoon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread