Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Getting started offshore - help! #10764098 04/13/15 04:42 PM
Cory Lee Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I've been fishing in the bay a few times now but never out pass the jetties. I'd like to go out a little further but don't know where to start. I've been reading online all I can. If you have a good website or book that I should look at, let me know.

I've got a 19'6" Sea Pro CC. Its got a 33 gallon tank and a 115 Yamaha. I see other boats about this size coming back in so, I think its big enough?

Are most of these guys fishing the rigs? Or are there other spots like reefs, wrecks, or some other structure? Or are they trolling? I've got the coordinates for the oil rigs and a couple artificial reefs, but I don't know where to access the other locations.

How far out typically and how deep?

What do you use for bait? Same stuff as inshore?(shrimp, croaker, mullet, squid, crab?) Are you chumming? If so, with what? Or are you using artificial lures?
Is there somewhere to buy this bait? or are you catching it yourself? Do any of y'all use a Sabiki rig?

What are you typically catching?

I know I need to keep a close eye on the weather forecast. As far as wind, how high until you don't go out? 20mph?

I'll take a good VHF radio, PFD, first aid kit, and two 5 gallon gas tanks out with me. Do you recommend anything else?

Re: Getting started offshore - help! [Re: Cory Lee] #10767713 04/14/15 07:25 PM
J
Jet.Ski.Wilke Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I have a jet ski that I take out to the rigs. At only 11 ft long its not the size but how well any boat takes waves. I go out about 30 miles from galveston and Freeport and have seen other boats that size out there. When I'm out I only take dead bait. Squid and mullet. I use circle hooks with a steel leader just in case of sharks. I have 2 penn battle 6000 seires. I only have a gaft hook To bring them in. I try to go out on calm days. For me I leave my area when seas get to 3 feet. But every boat is different.

Chris Wilke

EMT-I
Deer Park Fire Department
Re: Getting started offshore - help! [Re: Cory Lee] #10768704 04/15/15 02:08 AM
Cory Lee Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the reply. What are you catching? and how are you fishing? bottom? different depths? Trolling?

Re: Getting started offshore - help! [Re: Cory Lee] #10778788 04/19/15 01:28 PM
B
bigdtbone Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I would recommend getting an towing insurance like boatus and stay within there towing area. I think its 20 miles out. With that said I have a 21ft 7 in. kenner and I go when seas are 2ft or less . 3ft sea can be a little rough for a novice in a small boat . The easiest way to start is with tying off to the rig and dropping down live bait or squid or cut bait . There are a dozen different ways to get out there and fish . This is how most weekend warriors get there feet wet .lol IMHO

Re: Getting started offshore - help! [Re: bigdtbone] #10803972 04/28/15 06:17 PM
W
wahoobill Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I would tell you the weather changes drastically in the Gulf... I got caught in a nasty storm 2 yrs ago, with 50 knot winds on my 22' mako... didnt think I would see my family again.. so make sure your VHS has good reception, monitor the weather channel. I have 110 gallon tank on my mako and i never go out further than 30 miles max... just to be safe... In your 19' --I wouldn't risk more than 10-15 miles out on a nice calm day....

Be safe...

Good luck!!

wahoobill

WAHOOOOOO...!!
Re: Getting started offshore - help! [Re: Cory Lee] #10804182 04/28/15 07:47 PM
K
KQT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I would like to know where on the coast you fish but I will answer your questions.
Number one ONLY GO if the seas are 2 feet or less, you are new to this so dont chance anything more. Also if you can go during the week with less traffic you will be MUCH safer, some of the nastiest waves are caused by boat traffic at the mouth of the jetties.
Are most of these guys fishing the rigs? Most likely. You can drift ribbon fish using #5 wire behind a king buster (pink/white, red/white, or blue/pink) using one J or octopus hook and two treble hooks. The instructions are on the back of the king buster package.
How far out typically and how deep? Depends on where you are. It is shallower up north then where I fish off Port A.
What do you use for bait? Same stuff as inshore? Yes for bottom fishing. Shrimp, piggy perch, frozen or live finger mullet (I really like them) and cut whiting chunks. These are the best near shore baits. Are you chumming? Yes if you tie onto a rig. If so, with what? Ground menhaden. It comes frozen in a 5lb box. Just put it in a small mesh bag and hang it off the back of the boat. Be sure to give it at least 45 minutes to draw in the fish. Expect some sharks as well as kings and maybe a ling.
Lures; I would use red/white feather jigs. They are inexpensive and will catch kings, smacks, and bonito. Just pull them when you move from place to place. You can always buy more expensive lures if you find that you will be doing this type of fishing a lot.
Is there somewhere to buy this bait? Any good bait shop should have all of the above; again I can only give you Port A recommendations.
What are you typically catching? Near shore rig fishing expect; kings, sand trout, reds, drum, skipjacks, big whiting, small snapper, bonnet head and sharp nose sharks, black tip sharks, small to keeper ling, hardheads (no avoiding them) gafftop, sting rays.
I know I need to keep a close eye on the weather forecast. As far as wind, how high until you don't go out? 20mph? If you go out in 20mph winds it may be your last trip. Dont go unless it is 5 to AT MOST 10 knots.
I'll take a good VHF radio, PFD, first aid kit, and two 5 gallon gas tanks out with me. Do you recommend anything else? You should not need the extra fuel if you stay within a few miles of port.
AGAIN: DO NOT GO UNLESS IT IS ALMOST FLAT!! The learning curve can be deadly!

Common carp 26
Goldfish 9.78lb
Mirror Koi 14lb
Koi 16lb
Channel Catfish 26lbs
Blue Cat 30lb
Bass 9.5lb
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide