texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! #10763761 04/13/15 03:27 PM
L
LipRipper3325 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
This weekend I will be heading to central Texas to fish a private lake. This lake has been managed for bass fishing and the lake record is just shy of 14 lbs. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction to find one of these giants.

Here is a google map screen shot of the lake:

I have fished this lake before.. about 2 years ago. The majority of the cover is grass lines and rock. There is sparse timber. Max depth is around 20 ft. The northern cove is deeper and seems to hold more fish while the southern cove gets shallow quick.

I had good success throwing a drop-shot in the grass but the biggest I caught was only 4 lbs.

Now the kicker.. The water was VERY stained when i fished it. It had rained all week leading up to our trip (looks like its going to happen again) but the worst part is that it turned blue-bird for the 3 days that we fished it. It was sunny and HOT for this time of year. Pretty much the worst conditions possible... It doesn't look like it will be hot/sunny this weekend so I am keeping my fingers crossed but I imagine the water will be stained again...

So, what would you do? I am use to to fishing in North Texas.. Is there anything specifically different about central Texas bass? How do I defeat the stained water? Where are the big bass this time of year (post-spawn)?

Thanks!

Personal Record: 8 pounds 10 ounces
Personal Goal: 10 pounds +
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10763795 04/13/15 03:33 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Fish the deeper grass lines and throw t-rig or c-rig magnum fluke in watermelon red. 15-20# flouro. Drag it slow. 3 of my DD's have been caught this way so I'm just going off my experience. They probably don't see the mag fluke often either?

Last edited by MagFluker; 04/13/15 03:34 PM.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10763804 04/13/15 03:35 PM
L
Lil' Louie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Fish your strengths. Use what you have confidence in and just go fishing. If it's meant to be it will happen.

[Linked Image]

PB 12.88lbs, Lake Fork 3-17-2013 8:45 a.m.

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: Lil' Louie] #10763820 04/13/15 03:39 PM
L
LipRipper3325 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
Fish your strengths. Use what you have confidence in and just go fishing. If it's meant to be it will happen.

I remember reading in a magazine article or maybe on a thread here where a guy explained the process of catching double-digit fish.. He said it was something like 40% timing, 40% luck, and 20% skill.

I appreciate the response.. I plan to fish pretty hard for the time I spend there (rain or shine)

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: MagFluker] #10763828 04/13/15 03:40 PM
L
LipRipper3325 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: MagFluker
Fish the deeper grass lines and throw t-rig or c-rig magnum fluke in watermelon red. 15-20# flouro. Drag it slow. 3 of my DD's have been caught this way so I'm just going off my experience. They probably don't see the mag fluke often either?

Thanks! I love throwing a weightless fluke up here and planned to do it when I got there. A magnum on a c-rig... I think you are on to something there.

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10763830 04/13/15 03:40 PM
L
Lil' Louie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Anytime I try something new I give it up quickly and rarely go back to it for a while. So if you are confident in a couple different things, fish those. And I think a lot of it is luck but some skill is involved. Good luck man!

[Linked Image]

PB 12.88lbs, Lake Fork 3-17-2013 8:45 a.m.

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10763838 04/13/15 03:43 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would have to go with you to guarantee a DD. HA.. You are on the right track with the drop shot. I would move up to the heavy drop shot that I pitch in the deepest grass that is on the lake. POST spawn big bass will be moving back into that cover. PICS> are available and how to fish the rig.

I truly believe that the deep water females will be up shallow. All of them have not spawned in Texas. You might get lucky on a WAKE bait in the shallows, if you cannot see the beds. Work every piece of the sparse hard woods you can find looking for one of the huge bass still spawning. I truly think you will be surprised. I would approach these hard woods with a T-Rigged Lizard in as dark of PUMPKIN SEED that you can find. Zoom made the color Costic Choice which was great for this; now discontinued.

I know you will be throwing that drop shot in and around grass so try a pumpkin seed senko with the tail barely tipped Chart..

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10763847 04/13/15 03:45 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
If it has big fish and you aren't concerned with catching quantity I would tie on a big swim bait and heave that sucker around all day long.

Go Tech
Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10763849 04/13/15 03:45 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Stained water = opportunity

Adapt to the conditions. If I were fishing a small private lake, in stained water, in the spring time, I would rig up 3-4 rods as follows to start:

1- Spinner Bait. If the water is really stained where the visibility is only 1-2 ft, go with a single round Colorado style blade, gold in color. Something with a short arm. This will give you more vibration. I would use a chartreuse and red, or white and red color. I have also used solid red spinner baits with a little gold mixed in the skirt with success (War Eagle makes a good one). If you have 4-5 ft visibility I would go with the standard blades but keep them gold in color. Or a silver on the front and gold on the back.

2- Red Rattle Trap or other red shallow running, high vibration, crankbait that rattles. If there are a lot of weeds I would work the edges of the weeds and rip it through the grass.

3- Texas Rigged worm. I like the Lake Fork Creature in Watermelon Red, and I still like the Berkley Power Worms. Black with red flake would work. Use this rig to pitch to structure, holes, up in the grass (weight pegged), etc. Sometimes if you find the fish with a spinner bait you can slow down with a texas rig and pull out a large one holding next to cover. Or if you get a big hit on a spinner bait you can follow it with the texas rig.

4- A sinko style soft jerk bait. A fluke, sinko, anything you can twitch and work slow. This is my favorite bait if the water is clear enough, and if the wind is calm enough.

Just a personal opinion, but to me SPRING = RED. I always try to throw something with some red mixed in it in the springtime. And MURKY = Chartreuse....usually. In murky water and with the small size of this lake I think I would choose the faster working baits and keep moving. You can always slow down if you find a pocket holding fish.

Good luck. Let us know how you do. I sense a double digit fish coming your way!

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: Donald Harper] #10763875 04/13/15 03:51 PM
L
LipRipper3325 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
I would have to go with you to guarantee a DD. HA.. You are on the right track with the drop shot. I would move up to the heavy drop shot that I pitch in the deepest grass that is on the lake. POST spawn big bass will be moving back into that cover. PICS> are available and how to fish the rig.

I truly believe that the deep water females will be up shallow. All of them have not spawned in Texas. You might get lucky on a WAKE bait in the shallows, if you cannot see the beds. Work every piece of the sparse hard woods you can find looking for one of the huge bass still spawning. I truly think you will be surprised. I would approach these hard woods with a T-Rigged Lizard in as dark of PUMPKIN SEED that you can find. Zoom made the color Costic Choice which was great for this; now discontinued.

I know you will be throwing that drop shot in and around grass so try a pumpkin seed senko with the tail barely tipped Chart..

You da man!

If I catch a DD, i may have to take you to my honey hole in Justin. I caught 5 fish for 27 pounds in March. And I caught a 7 yesterday. hehe.

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: Anchorman] #10763892 04/13/15 03:55 PM
L
LipRipper3325 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: newpontoonguy
Stained water = opportunity

Adapt to the conditions. If I were fishing a small private lake, in stained water, in the spring time, I would rig up 3-4 rods as follows to start:

1- Spinner Bait. If the water is really stained where the visibility is only 1-2 ft, go with a single round Colorado style blade, gold in color. Something with a short arm. This will give you more vibration. I would use a chartreuse and red, or white and red color. I have also used solid red spinner baits with a little gold mixed in the skirt with success (War Eagle makes a good one). If you have 4-5 ft visibility I would go with the standard blades but keep them gold in color. Or a silver on the front and gold on the back.

2- Red Rattle Trap or other red shallow running, high vibration, crankbait that rattles. If there are a lot of weeds I would work the edges of the weeds and rip it through the grass.

3- Texas Rigged worm. I like the Lake Fork Creature in Watermelon Red, and I still like the Berkley Power Worms. Black with red flake would work. Use this rig to pitch to structure, holes, up in the grass (weight pegged), etc. Sometimes if you find the fish with a spinner bait you can slow down with a texas rig and pull out a large one holding next to cover. Or if you get a big hit on a spinner bait you can follow it with the texas rig.

4- A sinko style soft jerk bait. A fluke, sinko, anything you can twitch and work slow. This is my favorite bait if the water is clear enough, and if the wind is calm enough.

Just a personal opinion, but to me SPRING = RED. I always try to throw something with some red mixed in it in the springtime. And MURKY = Chartreuse....usually. In murky water and with the small size of this lake I think I would choose the faster working baits and keep moving. You can always slow down if you find a pocket holding fish.

Good luck. Let us know how you do. I sense a double digit fish coming your way!

Awesome! I really appreciate it. I will definitely throw some red. I caught a few last time on a fire tiger rattle trap. I think the biggest out of the group was caught on a lake fork ring fry in the red bug color. I bought some Kickerfish wacky worms in red shad that I think will be quite effective IF the water is just clear enough.

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10763917 04/13/15 03:59 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Spring time small waters fishing in Texas=frog fishig, senkos weightless shallow, chatter bait shallow around grass, swim bait and sight fishing sounds like u may not be able to sight fish but I would try. Also buzz bait shallow

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10764007 04/13/15 04:18 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Slow roll a 1/2 oz spinnerbait with big Colorado blades, 20lbs line.
I caught a 10.32 last week on this setup.

Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: Lil' Louie] #10764121 04/13/15 04:49 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie

Absolutely

Personally, I'd rig a rod with 50lb braid with a 3/0 texas rigged craw that floats drop shot to a 1 oz weight and drop it at the outside grass line. I'd try to find where grass meets other good cover/structure grass next to rock, grass next to a drop off or drain. I'd be patient, maybe eat a sandwich while I've got the heavy drop shot out there.

I'd also throw big noisy topwaters, frogs, and big swimbaits in and ontop of the grass.

PS--need coordinates so I could topo map it for you for more details. smile

[Linked Image]
Re: My fellow TFF'ers.. Help me catch a DD! [Re: LipRipper3325] #10764140 04/13/15 04:55 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Is that San Saba (Waco Creek Ranch)?

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide