Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. #10752214 04/07/15 11:15 PM
Big C Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
The current thread on Bass Champs got me to thinking about why are bass fishing shows (IMO) so bad? So, I'd like to get as much feedback from fisherman as possible, about what they like in a show, what they don't like AND what would you LIKE to see in a Bass Fishing Show?

BIG C

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10752244 04/07/15 11:34 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
How about a show where the hosts fishes for 15 minutes, then there is 5 minutes of commercials, then 10 more minutes of fishing? I will not watch 30 minutes of touting the fishing shows sponsors.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10752289 04/07/15 11:52 PM
S
snmcc Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Sponsor love pays for the shows I guess and I wont watch it. One show has it right as far as I am concerned and he fishes with what works regardless.

Boatless for minute
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10752354 04/08/15 12:29 AM
Big C Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Using my "Soprano's" analogy, I remember when the Verizon Rayzor phones first came out. Tony was one on his boat trying to make a call and they used that as a product placement with him throwing it and calling it a piece of s&*^. There was a long pause on the phone itself, but it never detracted from the show and Verizon got their plug in. Has to be more subtle ways to get the plugs in and make the show informative too.

BIG C

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10753728 04/08/15 03:37 PM
O
OldChamp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
I think the biggest hurdle to producing better fishing shows is to educate and convince the major sponsors (Strike King, BPS, Ranger, Mercury, etc) that the current model is alienating much of their audience with the "in your face" infomercial format.

Judicious and appropriate product placement during shows is ok. But whole shows devoted to the latest model crankbait or newest multi-kilobuck sonar gadget is missing the mark for much of today's anglers who I believe would like to use the shows as an education tool to improve their fishing.

Shows could focus on how different anglers find fish on different lakes, using and interpreting sonar and mapping, seasonal patterns for different regions and lakes, etc. These are just a few of the topics that could be produced. Instead of yet another "We're gonna show you how to throw this new super-crank and you'll catch a limit every time". Yeah right - <Click - Delete>

Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10753756 04/08/15 03:51 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I think Bill Wilcox and Honey Hole All Outdoors has the best show out there. No real product infomercials but fishing techniques, fish locating tips, and map tips. Real time fishing not multiple days of filming to show them catching fish on the lure of the day.

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10753763 04/08/15 03:52 PM
B
BJH ( JUST JIGGING) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Fishing shows are right up there with SOAP OPERA'S, they both suck!!!!!

I would agree with you , but then we would both be WRONG !!!!!
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)] #10753774 04/08/15 03:55 PM
Big C Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)
Fishing shows are right up there with SOAP OPERA'S, they both suck!!!!!

I've never heard the two equated before but I can agree for sure.........lol.

BIG C

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: texasbass1] #10753776 04/08/15 03:56 PM
Big C Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: texasbass1
I think Bill Wilcox and Honey Hole All Outdoors has the best show out there. No real product infomercials but fishing techniques, fish locating tips, and map tips. Real time fishing not multiple days of filming to show them catching fish on the lure of the day.

While not overly riveting, I agree that Honey Hole is one of the better one out there.

BIG C

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: OldChamp] #10753782 04/08/15 03:58 PM
Big C Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: OldChamp
I think the biggest hurdle to producing better fishing shows is to educate and convince the major sponsors (Strike King, BPS, Ranger, Mercury, etc) that the current model is alienating much of their audience with the "in your face" infomercial format.

Judicious and appropriate product placement during shows is ok. But whole shows devoted to the latest model crankbait or newest multi-kilobuck sonar gadget is missing the mark for much of today's anglers who I believe would like to use the shows as an education tool to improve their fishing.

Shows could focus on how different anglers find fish on different lakes, using and interpreting sonar and mapping, seasonal patterns for different regions and lakes, etc. These are just a few of the topics that could be produced. Instead of yet another "We're gonna show you how to throw this new super-crank and you'll catch a limit every time". Yeah right - <Click - Delete>

Personally, I agree. When I watch a fishing show, that is what I would like to see as well.

BIG C

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10753796 04/08/15 04:03 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
Fishing shows have failed to evolve over the years. 20 years ago the common fisherman enjoyed seeing Bill Dance catch the big fish no matter how many days of filming it took to do it.

Nowadays, with the evolution of electronics, lures, reels, mapping, etc the fisherman is looking for more education that "catching". I for one will watch MLF and most recently, the live Bassmaster footage to look for educational type tips. This may be things that aren't even brought up by the fishermen. I'm talking about how he approaches an area or maybe how he has the screens setup on his graph to get the most out of his electronics. I want to learn more about HOW he caught fish rather than seeing him catch it and holler "It's a giant" and run around the boat trying to land it. I can hardly stomach some of the guys on MLF because of this...every dang one they catch is "a giant" only to later be weighed by the marshall and find out it's 2 lbs. I want to be able to take something away from a fishing show and apply it while on the water.

Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10753875 04/08/15 04:38 PM
Big C Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Agreed

BIG C

Sir Winston Churchill
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10753909 04/08/15 04:52 PM
O
OldChamp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
Fishing shows have failed to evolve over the years.

Agree.

Today its cable (waning viewership), streaming media, YouTube, satellite TV, GoPro cameras, TIVO, DVRs, mobile devices, etc. The fisherman has more selection and control over what and when they watch. It's real easy to read the short description of a program and fast forward and delete recorded/time-shifted fishing infomercials.

There is good fishing video content on YouTube and various fishing blogs, etc. The production value sometimes isn't great but a lot of the content is way better than what the major sponsors are delivering on current cable networks.

But just going to new media delivery won't be an improvement if the same old infomercial format is just repackaged.

IMO if they don't change their format and delivery they will continue to lose viewership.

Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: OldChamp] #10753917 04/08/15 04:54 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: OldChamp

Nailed it.

I like Major League fishing because you see the pros under pressure and having to make decisions we are all faced with out on the water. It also does me some good to see them fish the lakes we fish everyday, not the far off honey hole lakes on private water where my wife could catch 30 pounds.

[Linked Image]
Re: How to Make a "Good" BASS FISHING SHOW. [Re: Big C] #10753943 04/08/15 05:06 PM
L
LukeMcFarlane Offline
Angler
Angler
L
MLF is the best Honey Hole also very good. TExas team trail is ok. The more fishing the better. However I have heard to many stories of shows keeping a few fish in the live well to catch over and over again if the bite gets tough to really enjoy most of them. Was told this by a guide who was guiding for a very well known show. Also was told strike king has done this on the fish hard shows.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide