Print Thread
Page 4 of 399 1 2 3 4 5 6 398 399
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10772654 04/16/15 06:39 PM
S
Spec Chaser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I don't know how old your dad is, but bank fishing below the spillway have really been hot! The big problem is dealing with the crazy crowd. I am planning to take my 75 year old dad to do some fishing there this Saturday morning as well. I was there last Saturday with my nephew, and you can pretty much catch a hybrid on every catch. Most of them are below the minimum limit; however, that didn't keep a lot of people from keeping them anyway.

Hell, there were a couple of Asian guys that were fishing not far from me, and they were pretty much catching something on about every cast. They pretend as I watch to measure their fish and just stringed them up. I definitely know for a fact that half of what they kept weren't of legal size.

They even came back a couple of hours later to fish after they left with their supposed daily limit. They just changed what they were wearing and fished at the same spot. I left after these guys came back with a few of their friends.

I was catching a lot as well but 90% of what I caught were around 16-17 inches. I am Asian myself, but these guys just give most Asian folks a bad name. I do have to admit a lot of the Asian people that fish up there (or any else that I have fish along the coast) have no courtesy what so ever. Sometimes it pisses me off so bad when they just squeezed in between my kids or nieces/nephews because the kids are catching fish.

My apology if I have offended any of my fellow Asians BUT you know it's TRUE!!!

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: Spec Chaser] #10773064 04/16/15 09:11 PM
B
brownpan Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Haha thanks for letting me know. I'll be watching out for them.

What are the bass taking this time of the year?

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10773381 04/16/15 11:20 PM
4x4Active Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Call the GW on their [censored]. I would like those undersize fish to spawn more fish for future fishing. I was there about 3 weeks ago. GW was called and ticket hammer a few guys with fat striped/hybrids.

I'm Vietnamese and I fish with lots of other Viet or Asian. I can tell you for sure that 90% of the time..... If that Asian dude has expansive gear. He/she is fishing legit lol. Come down to surfside. You'll be cussed for keeping illegal fish and lecture on legal size lol

Revo Inshore Gen3 - Revo NaCL 60HS Gen3 - Shimano Sustain 5000FG - Shimano Stella SW6000

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: SpeciesFisherman] #10773528 04/17/15 12:30 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: SpeciesFisherman
When would the fishing heat up around rocky creek park? Any news about the spillway?

According to my fishing log, the White Bass fishing around Rocky Creek turned on around this time last year. It would probably worth a try.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: Spec Chaser] #10773541 04/17/15 12:37 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Spec Chaser
I don't know how old your dad is, but bank fishing below the spillway have really been hot! The big problem is dealing with the crazy crowd. I am planning to take my 75 year old dad to do some fishing there this Saturday morning as well. I was there last Saturday with my nephew, and you can pretty much catch a hybrid on every catch. Most of them are below the minimum limit; however, that didn't keep a lot of people from keeping them anyway.

Hell, there were a couple of Asian guys that were fishing not far from me, and they were pretty much catching something on about every cast. They pretend as I watch to measure their fish and just stringed them up. I definitely know for a fact that half of what they kept weren't of legal size.

They even came back a couple of hours later to fish after they left with their supposed daily limit. They just changed what they were wearing and fished at the same spot. I left after these guys came back with a few of their friends.

I was catching a lot as well but 90% of what I caught were around 16-17 inches. I am Asian myself, but these guys just give most Asian folks a bad name. I do have to admit a lot of the Asian people that fish up there (or any else that I have fish along the coast) have no courtesy what so ever. Sometimes it pisses me off so bad when they just squeezed in between my kids or nieces/nephews because the kids are catching fish.

My apology if I have offended any of my fellow Asians BUT you know it's TRUE!!!

There are 2 distinct groups. I learned how to fish from the group that is there to feed their family and enjoy fishing. The other group is probably selling the fish. They won't talk to you or give you advice in most situations. The Game Warden's are aware of their antics and really have been working hard out there. They have spotters and are well organized at what they do.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10773935 04/17/15 02:50 AM
S
SpeciesFisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Very true about the Asian thing. I am Asian myself. I was there last week as week caught a couple but some people were just hammering out there. Most of them did not have measuring equipment and what ever was caught was sent straight to a stringer. Its kinda sad and frustrating. I would think that wardens would have a place like this monitored around the clock since it is a hot spot for mass quantity fish.

Fishing is fun and adictive, but always stay safe. Happy Fishing!
How do you add a photo...
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10774971 04/17/15 04:13 PM
S
Spec Chaser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Very true J-Moe!

I took my 7 and 9 years old daughters to fish the spillway afternoon after their doctor appointments on a school day. I know, bad daddy! My girls were catching a few white bass and hybrids here and there, and a couple of Korean guys were fishing about 50 yards upstream from us and noticed that we were catching fish. Well, these guys packed up and pretty much planted themselves in between where my 2 girls were fishing. They must have not been standing 5-6 feet apart between the 2 girls. I asked them why they can't stand a little further down away from the kids since the kids need some space to cast as well as they were keep reeling in the girls' lines.

Their smart [censored] remark was "this is where the fish are at!" Please keep in mind that these guys were at least in their 40's, and they are fighting with a couple of little girls for a spot that my girls have been fishing for at least the last couple of hours.

I finally made my intention well known that if they didn't moved their f****** asses that I would be more than inclined to show them a wake up call. There were a couple of other folks fishing nearby that made comments to these idiots to move as well since they saw what was going on. You can't make this stuff up, and you definitely can't teach STUPIDITY!!!

They finally moved but kept casting toward and hanging up on our lines. My girls finally say that's enough daddy and let's go home. I really felt bad since these morons had to ruin an afternoon of fun for a couple of little girls.

It's to the point now that I tried to avoid fishing the spillway unless I'm with my dad and/or relatives since that's where they like to fish.

Regarding, the GW's.....I know they are doing their best to cover all of the areas that they are responsible for. I know both of the GW's up there around Lake Somerville and was in contact with one of them last weekend. They can't be everywhere at the same time or can't get there on time when illegal activities are taking place.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10775656 04/17/15 08:38 PM
W
wheretofish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
This is why you need a big German Shepherd to go fishing with! No one blk, white or asian will ever mess with you and your kids.

How is the fishing these days? I have never been out here but if the fish are still biting it might be worth the 1.5 hour drive.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10777904 04/18/15 11:31 PM
B
brownpan Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Wanting to hit Yegua Creek with my dad tomorrow morning. Are there any good access points for bank fishing?

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: brownpan] #10779432 04/19/15 08:44 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: brownpan
Wanting to hit Yegua Creek with my dad tomorrow morning. Are there any good access points for bank fishing?

Newman's Bottom

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10781737 04/20/15 06:14 PM
S
SpeciesFisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
S
The lake is 2 feet above normal pool. If the management release more water would that make the fishing better behind the spillway? Would they release more water? Any reports from the spillway? I only been there once and did pretty well. I am from Austin so I want that drive to be worth it. Thanks for any information.Any reports at Rocky Creek?

Fishing is fun and adictive, but always stay safe. Happy Fishing!
How do you add a photo...
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10781894 04/20/15 06:51 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
The release rate has only been 183 cfs over the last few days due to the flooding downstream of Lake Somerville. I would expect them to raise the release rate any time now. The fishing below the spillway has been good and should remain that way as long as water is being released. As well as, up to 2 days after the gates close.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10782109 04/20/15 07:59 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
As expected, the release rate has been increased to 967 cfs.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #10785189 04/21/15 08:13 PM
H
Hogslayer5L Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Has the lake dropped any ?

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: Hogslayer5L] #10785854 04/22/15 01:32 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Hogslayer5L
Has the lake dropped any ?

Not yet. It is still at 239.9. 1.9 feet above normal and releasing 967 cfs. It should start slowly receding now. Not sure if they will raise the flow any more or not. They may bump it up a little higher tomorrow.

Page 4 of 399 1 2 3 4 5 6 398 399
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide