Print Thread
What is the best way to fish the rigs? #10723380 03/25/15 07:17 PM
J
Jet.Ski.Wilke Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
The past 2 times I have gone out to the rigs, once in Galveston and once in Freeport I seem to never catch anything? Am I doing anything wrong?

I have a 2015 vx deluxe jet ski which I rigged up for this. Rack with cooler on the back. I have 2 good Penn battle rods, typical circle hook and dead bait. I am unable to keep anything alive when I am going that far out on a jet ski. I use shrimp, cut mullet and squid which have been store bought or caught at the docks when I put out.

I go about 20 or so miles out when the water gets clear and use a piece of dead bait with a 2 ft leader and a 3 oz weight. I send it to the bottom and reel in about 3 feet or so. The only thing I have caught so far was a sheepshead Lol.

Any tips are highly appreciated as all my friends laugh that I can't catch anything.

Chris Wilke

EMT-I
Deer Park Fire Department
Re: What is the best way to fish the rigs? [Re: Jet.Ski.Wilke] #10723958 03/25/15 11:27 PM
L
Lmgreeri Offline
Angler
Angler
L
With more and more rigs being taken out each year the ones that are left get picked over so hard there is typically not much left on them. I used to fish the rigs a bunch to back in the day and did well but in past years have seen that production cut drastically due to the above and have moved on to lesser hit reefs that you need gps numbers to find (stuff the typical weekend warrior just won't be found at by the dozens) and just moved on to trolling for pelagics further out. The closer rigs are just a bust most times now and a waste of time and money. I've never run out of Galveston (I fish the Port Aransas area) so I couldn't help you much with suggestions of where else to go out of there in your range.

Re: What is the best way to fish the rigs? [Re: Jet.Ski.Wilke] #10724449 03/26/15 02:36 AM
S
Sharkinator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
You might try a variety of things. Different types of fish hang out at the rigs at different levels in the water column. They also have different tastes. We will fish rigs in our kayaks. Initially we will troll around them keeping within 100 yds or so of the rig. Many times we will pick up some kings or jacks. We almost always catch them around the rig, not at the rig. After we get tired we tie off to the rig and drop down baits. Some deep, some shallow. I will usually drift one on a float out behind me. Usually I come up with a bonus shark or smack on that rig. Doing a variety of things increases your possibilities.

Re: What is the best way to fish the rigs? [Re: Jet.Ski.Wilke] #10770319 04/15/15 08:00 PM
T
texasthom Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
You said you are using circle hooks.... Are you snelling them or tying them. If you are tying them on, you might as well not use them. Here's my favorite way to snell: Snelling I like smaller hooks, because when I go to those type of close-in platforms, we are targeting smaller snapper and mangroves (cautious fish)

I think your leader is definitely too short, especially if you are using something like a fish-finder rig.... I would go with 4-6' of leader, the least strength you think you can get away with....

I think you may be fishing with too much weight, depending on how much current you have. I know you want to get your bait past the trigger fish, but the fish may be tackle shy. It looks unnatural falling so fast. Reds are less wary.

One way to present the bait naturally and get it deep (avoiding thieves) is to anchor or hover upcurrent and let your bait drift into the rig with minimal weight.

If you want live bait, sabiki it up and catch some hardtails. Might be tough on a jetski.... However, I have no problem catching fish with dead bait.

If all else fails, do what we do - put on a mask and observe and/or shoot the fish, depending on clarity....

Re: What is the best way to fish the rigs? [Re: Jet.Ski.Wilke] #10810270 05/01/15 12:56 AM
M
MamaTried-ATX Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
If you have been running out in winter, the nearshore rigs can be slim pickings. They will heat up when it gets warmer. Even in snapper season, we have blanked nearshore after catching fish further out. If the blue water is in, a frozen ribbon fish will work for kings. There are often spadefish around and the occasional ling.

Re: What is the best way to fish the rigs? [Re: Jet.Ski.Wilke] #10823503 05/06/15 08:55 PM
B
Bluwave Mike Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Troll or drift some ribbon fish.I like pink skirts on the first hook. Dropping down I would go with cigar minnows or and bigger bait.

Re: What is the best way to fish the rigs? [Re: texasthom] #10856021 05/19/15 08:32 PM
J
JohnButte Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: texasthom
You said you are using circle hooks.... Are you snelling them or tying them. If you are tying them on, you might as well not use them. Here's my favorite way to snell: Snelling I like smaller hooks, because when I go to those type of close-in platforms, we are targeting smaller snapper and mangroves (cautious fish)

I think your leader is definitely too short, especially if you are using something like a fish-finder rig.... I would go with 4-6' of leader, the least strength you think you can get away with....

I think you may be fishing with too much weight, depending on how much current you have. I know you want to get your bait past the trigger fish, but the fish may be tackle shy. It looks unnatural falling so fast. Reds are less wary.

One way to present the bait naturally and get it deep (avoiding thieves) is to anchor or hover upcurrent and let your bait drift into the rig with minimal weight.

If you want live bait, sabiki it up and catch some hardtails. Might be tough on a jetski.... However, I have no problem catching fish with dead bait.

If all else fails, do what we do - put on a mask and observe and/or shoot the fish, depending on clarity....

Why would tying them be a problem?

Re: What is the best way to fish the rigs? [Re: Jet.Ski.Wilke] #10916879 06/14/15 10:46 PM
C
cox122277 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
How deep is the water ?got to be least 120 feet Galveston is shallow 20 miles in port a you can be at 120 feet deep just never caught much to speak of in less than a hundred feet bottom fishing!!! Might catch ling and sharks and kings on top of the water at shallow depths. We never drop a line in until 200 250 depth
Bout 50 60 miles most Texas ports unless your port Mansfield area. You can get to that deep of water.
We like to fish in about 350 to 700 feet that's were the big fish are on bottom!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide