Forums59
Topics1,038,938
Posts13,955,886
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Calo Catter] #10645363 02/25/15 02:23 AM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Calo Catter
This picture is getting me all fired up over here and would think that it would result in a similar tidal wave of emotions if shared with the right people in Texas Parks and Wildlife. I suggest sharing the picture with TP&W as prime example of why they need to limit the # of big fish harvested on certain bodies of water

This is the group that ultimately changes things...

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/about/commission/commissioners/

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10645388 02/25/15 02:28 AM
B
bassackwards dav Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I agree on a lot said for releasing big blues. I also think it would be wise to let it be know through the legislation when they have a open session for the public to speak about there concerns. I think thats very soon maybe next week. But keep in mind the fishery surveys which TPWD do on the lakes they don't just guess at the regulations. And for those people who say what good does it do because look at undersized fish that are taken. Well all I can say is be responcible for yourself , and if you see someone being a game theft report it. I do!!!! I promise .

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10645491 02/25/15 02:46 AM
B
big10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Salsa
Originally Posted By: Calo Catter
This picture is getting me all fired up over here and would think that it would result in a similar tidal wave of emotions if shared with the right people in Texas Parks and Wildlife. I suggest sharing the picture with TP&W as prime example of why they need to limit the # of big fish harvested on certain bodies of water

This is the group that ultimately changes things...

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/about/commission/commissioners/

Thanks for this information. Are you saying we need to go to these people with our concerns?

Jerry Dillard
Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10645584 02/25/15 03:01 AM
C
Calo Catter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: snowyriver6
I'll sign the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/protect-lake-tawkonis-trophy-blue-catfish/

I don't fish Tawkonis but just signed. Takes less than 1 minute to complete. Strongly encourage anyone who has not done this regardless of whether you fish this lake to take the time and sign

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10645800 02/25/15 03:40 AM
C
central texas Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I filled it out and encourage more to do so.........

Guns 2 worst enemies rust & politicians !
Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10645841 02/25/15 03:48 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Don't mean to step on toes here, but if lowering the limit is a good thing for catfishing in general, is there anything stopping the cat fishermen on this forum from self imposing a 12 fish limit for each person on the boat?

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Beer Money] #10645888 02/25/15 03:58 AM
V
Vess Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
V
Originally Posted By: Beer Money
If they did put a limit on larger fish, how well would it be enforced? People keep tons of undersized crappie every spawn because there's not enough LEOs to police it.

a lot easier to have a leo at the boat ramp checking boats as they come in. it would be nice if they were an avid fishermen too!

PB
60# 3/11/2015
Last PB Blue Cat 53# 12/20/2014
Flat Head, 56# Rod and reel
Channel Cat 12#
SHUT UP AND FISH!!

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Ken Gaby] #10645927 02/25/15 04:08 AM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Don't mean to step on toes here, but if lowering the limit is a good thing for catfishing in general, is there anything stopping the cat fishermen on this forum from self imposing a 12 fish limit for each person on the boat?

From what I can tell, most rod n' reel blue cat anglers harvest very few blue catfish. We are approaching the time when the smaller fish are easier to target and catch.

Would be good to hear from others who fish for blues on rod n' reel...how many do you normally keep. Personally I don't keep any, I prefer the channel cats when I eat catfish.

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10645959 02/25/15 04:17 AM
C
CPR Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
SAD to see greedy people like that. TPW needs to do something to stop this. bang

CPR
(Catch Photograph Release)
All Catfish over 10lbs.
Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10646154 02/25/15 08:00 AM
B
Bittercreek Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Great catch of Blues.
Solid fish.

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Ken Gaby] #10646186 02/25/15 11:03 AM
V
Vess Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
V

ive had few people get upset at me cause I tell them on my boat if its over 10 it goes back in! And for the life of them they couldn't grasp why even after explaining to them why. What I can't grasp is why some people have don't get a damn in there dna.

PB
60# 3/11/2015
Last PB Blue Cat 53# 12/20/2014
Flat Head, 56# Rod and reel
Channel Cat 12#
SHUT UP AND FISH!!

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10646260 02/25/15 12:30 PM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Harvesting of big blue cat is not a new thing. They have been taking a large number of blues from Tawakoni and many other lakes for as long as I can remember. I tried every way to get these limit&length sanctions passed by TPWD in 2003 and it all fell on deaf ears. Back then not near as many knew how to catch big blues on rod&reel so very few cared at all, I met lot of resistance on this forum and many others. A few led the charge for keeping big fish and I respect them for that.
Just for the record the taking of big blues out of Tawakoni, Richland Chambers, Lewisville, and Cedar Creek have not hurt the population and bigger and bigger records are taken yearly, as more and more people are catching large numbers of big fish. The true conservative minded folks will release big fish and the harvesting people will not. Laws are just guides for people who choose to follow them.
Don't tell me the lakes with slots are producing bigger fish than ever, they have always produced big fish and will continue to do so. Tawakoni without a slot and the same limits as everywhere else is producing more and bigger fish than ever. Why? because more people know how to cat them. In the same breath more people are releasing big fish. TPWD runs gill net and shock surveys yearly and adjust limits as needed, a few lakes like Livingston have a 50 catfish limit, because of the number of fish. When and if a lake gets low on numbers TPWD will adjust the limit, size and number.
People who don't eat blue cat I don't blame you they have terrible tasting beautiful white meat so turn em all loose and eat the channels. Most folks will tell you a blue cat weighing from 1.5-3# out of RC and CC is better than any fish from fresh water.
I don't know I ain't been fishing all that long.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10646461 02/25/15 02:08 PM
P
parttime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Yup, we see it down here on our smaller lakes. Lakes can not support the amount of jugging that is going on now. Even more disappointing down here are the guides that let the customers keep all the big fish they catch instead of teaching them catch and release....

Well said Daniel...

and don't mistake, this is happening on many lakes that put out large blue catfish. And, in some cases it's worse on smaller lakes that don't have the bigger populations like Tawakoni.

Parttime (John)
Follow me on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/AJOutdoors1
Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10646581 02/25/15 02:42 PM
B
Blue wave zig Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I would like to know? How many fish I turn back get caught my jugs or trot lines. I turned back a 45lbs last weekend and 30 min I saw these guy running their lines. They been running lines and jugs in the cad do area all long will take to catch the fish we turn back that is what p-- me off

Re: Why the State Needs to Impose Regulations on Blue Catfish [Re: Capt. Michael Littlejohn] #10646657 02/25/15 03:02 PM
C
CATnHAT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

From what I can tell, most rod n' reel blue cat anglers harvest very few blue catfish. We are approaching the time when the smaller fish are easier to target and catch.

Would be good to hear from others who fish for blues on rod n' reel...how many do you normally keep. Personally I don't keep any, I prefer the channel cats when I eat catfish.

noidea hmmm Not trying to single you out....BUT....what about the 4 guide boats you run? How many do you keep? What makes the situation tough is nobody knows the correct ratio of BIG FISH 2 LITTLE FISH....whose to say all the little fish you are pulling out of the lake aren't hurting the future of the lake? There are so many guides on that lake now I'm sure it cant be good! Putting a limit on yourself and your boats would be a great way to practice what ya preach! coach I'm all for preserving these big fish, but none of you are biologist, most of you just have a personal interest/opinion...if we don't get any rain, before long we'll have to keep all he big fish we catch! Good Day

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide