Forums59
Topics1,039,322
Posts13,962,836
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Stucky76] #10651608 02/27/15 02:37 AM
Beltonbanger� Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Stucky76
Originally Posted By: Guide Lane Palmer
Thank you Mr Jacques Cousteau. I have no other way to describe a crappie full of eggs than as "pregnant." I guess this is my fault for having a poor vocabulary.

Also, I didn't say everyone must throw back crappie that are 41-15", I said fish over 15". On our home lake, this is a nice specimen of a crappie. 14-15" fish aren't that common, so I figured they would be more mature and genetically superior to other fish, as most of our keeper are 11-13". All I know is that we have been following this rule for going on five years now, and last year I saw more 16" fish released than ever before. Something must be working.

roflmao

roflmao roflmao

Last edited by Beltonbanger; 02/27/15 02:38 AM.

The "no bull" fish taxidermist!!!!!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ruffneck2000] #10651641 02/27/15 02:49 AM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
I fished a bass lake as a teenager where most of the bass were stunted, with few found that was over 16". The regulations were changed on that lake so all anglers had to keep all the bass under 15" that they caught.

Several years later larger bass became common and they changed the regulations to a slot range for those who wanted to keep bass to eat.

So size of fish population vs size of bait population plays a role in having larger fish to catch.

But I also believe genetics plays a role as well. So while I don't catch many crappie over 15" I will return those I do catch back to the lake.

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ruffneck2000] #10651679 02/27/15 03:01 AM
L
larry mays Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I think a lot of you try to put it as one way, genes does matter but so does how deep the lake is, how big it is. And the big thing if its a bass lake crappie will be down, if it is a crappie lake bass will be down this is the smaller lakes. There is a lot of other things but I am sure you get the ideal.

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Beltonbanger�] #10651733 02/27/15 03:21 AM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Beltonbanger
Originally Posted By: Stucky76
Thank you Mr Jacques Cousteau. I have no other way to describe a crappie full of eggs than as "pregnant." I guess this is my fault for having a poor vocabulary.

Also, I didn't say everyone must throw back crappie that are 41-15", I said fish over 15". On our home lake, this is a nice specimen of a crappie. 14-15" fish aren't that common, so I figured they would be more mature and genetically superior to other fish, as most of our keeper are 11-13". All I know is that we have been following this rule for going on five years now, and last year I saw more 16" fish released than ever before. Something must be working.

roflmao

roflmao roflmao
roflmao roflmao roflmao

hmmm I think Lane has this figured out with good old common sense. Mathematical equations are above my pay grade. You let big fish swim and the chances of them reproducing big fish are increased exponentially than if you deep fry them. Common Sense versus book smarts. Common sense wins everyday.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: larry mays] #10651789 02/27/15 03:43 AM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: larry mays
I think a lot of you try to put it as one way, genes does matter but so does how deep the lake is, how big it is. And the big thing if its a bass lake crappie will be down, if it is a crappie lake bass will be down this is the smaller lakes. There is a lot of other things but I am sure you get the ideal.

Larry, look at the top 10 best bass lakes in Texas. I bet 8 out of the 10 lakes are also the best crappie lakes in Texas.

Why? Same reason the small lakes have stunted fish, without proper harvest and predators, crappie will over populate.

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: KidKrappie] #10651841 02/27/15 04:04 AM
S
Stucky76 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
I disagree with the gene pool not playing a part in crappie. Look at the Share A Lunker Program. They've proven bass with specific genetics grow bigger, and bass, as you know, are also part of the sunfish family.

I cant agree with that. The fish that come from a share lunker program have absolutely no greater of a chance at becoming a 13 pounder. A share lunker hatched fish can get eaten the same day it was born because of "luck".

Think mathematically,

The odds of a fish making it passed the hatching process is slim.
The odds of that same fish having enough food to support substantial growth is not equal on every lake and for every fish (deformity).
The odds of that same fish not being caught long enough for it to reach the 3 pound mark for example is rare (especially in this day with millions of crappie anglers).
The odds of that same fish being within close proximity of your jig AND BITING and getting caught is slim.

Luck is the name of the game here for big crappie. For all we know a 3 pounder has looked at each of our baits at some point but the odds may or may not have been in our favor to have that fish bite and stay on and be caught due to luck or the lack thereof.

I'm with you dude on that, 100% thumb

Now I gotta figure out how to catch that 3 pounder that just stared at my jig noidea

Or maybe just call Angler Management. He caught a pretty good pounder on Fork last March.

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ruffneck2000] #10651845 02/27/15 04:05 AM
S
Stucky76 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Actually I agree with both Lane and Anthony. I can't figure out who's right but you can tell both of you guys think like a fish..... rockon

Last edited by Stucky76; 02/27/15 04:06 AM.
Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ruffneck2000] #10652182 02/27/15 01:15 PM
C
crappieking95 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
This topic is really making me think long and hard. There are great points on both sides.

Philippians 4:13
Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: ezgoing] #10652194 02/27/15 01:24 PM
K
Ketchn Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: ezgoing
Originally Posted By: Ketchn
so to identify what is a young female crappie
versus a smaller old female crappie
we do what to identify them ?
I know the answer but I am gunna let yawl run with this question
roflmao

You can try asking them their age when you catch them. Naw, that wouldn't work. The older females would probably lie about their age. roflmao

EXACTLY ez .....the old small female will not tell the truth
so what I look for to tell for sure
whether the smaller females are old or not
is pretty simple ....
the ones with the tighter genes are the younger ones hammer roflmao hammer roflmao

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: ezgoing] #10652228 02/27/15 01:39 PM
C
CrappieTX Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
roflmao

You can try asking them their age when you catch them. Naw, that wouldn't work. The older females would probably lie about their age. roflmao

...and their weight!!! eeks

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ketchn] #10652258 02/27/15 01:58 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
roflmao

EXACTLY ez .....the old small female will not tell the truth
so what I look for to tell for sure
whether the smaller females are old or not
is pretty simple ....
the ones with the tighter genes are the younger ones hammer roflmao hammer roflmao

This place really gives the unsuspecting a good education! Tks to all for the laughs! roflmao

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ketchn] #10652262 02/27/15 01:59 PM
B
BigDave1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Well I aint no gene scientist but I do have a fair amount of good ole common sense. AND, I know some of the best crappie bait is a 1.5 to 2 inch bluegill! smile

So, a few years back when I had my slip at East Fork Marina, I went down to check stuff out on Memorial Day weekend. Now we had a nylon floatin fish basket that we used for guest to keep their catch in and it had been left in the water. When I saw that algae infested yucky lookin net I said "nasty"! But, when I lifted it out of the water, inside were 5 tiny "bluegill" bout 1/2 inch long. I says I gonna get me some lunker crappie bait! So, I put the basket back in the water and checked it a month later.

Fish were larger now but you could already see different growth rates in the fish. Mind you, these are captive in the net. No food was given. So these fish had the same chance at feedin on algae or any bugs that might fall into the net. Kept checkin the net every couple weeks.

At three months the growth rate is very apparent to be different & by now I can tell these is baby crappie & not bluegill! Kept watchin the growth process until November when crappie were released.

What I found was somewhat astonishing. Two crappie were what I would say "normal" and were bout two inches long. Two crappie were somewhat larger at 3 inches long. BUT, one crappie was a whoppin 5 inches long in six months! Same opportunity for food. I can only attribute it to "genetics"! Seen it with me own eyes so nobody is gonna convince me differently.

Now how can you tell if a 14 inch or larger crapper is two years old or 5 years old. I cannot tell meself. BUT I ain't gonna take a chance that one is a two year old crappie and could change the gene pool. I is gonna release it. But to those that wanna keep a legal fish, I say its legal! smile

We practice CPR on the bass & big Kitties and I see no reason not to do the same with crappie! Yore mileage may certainly vary and I say Happy Fishin...but for me...I is releasin those big crappie. A 14 inch crappie or larger is not a crappie caught with great abundance IMHO.

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ruffneck2000] #10652298 02/27/15 02:09 PM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Anthony, I love your passion. You've been a die hard angler for awhile, and I'm glad you're sticking to your guns. I need help answering some questions if I am expected to believe genetics doesn't play a part in determining the characteristics of crappie.

1. Why do some black crappie have stripes on their noses and others don't?

2. Why do three pound crappie abundantly get caught in Mississippi? The biologists there literally couldn't care less about a crappie until it is over four pounds. Why? So they can study the bigger fish and the attributes that lead to it's being bigger.

3. Why out of all the animals on God's earth would the crappie be exempt from having genetic differences among it's members?

I do agree with the "fogging" of genetics between a big fish and little fish. There's nothing I can do to control that except by keeping the odds in my favor in the name of releasing trophy fish.

Also, you stated that you looked at the "reality of the situation". If that were true, I don't believe you would think that catching big fish is based on luck. Capps and Coleman (multiple national champions) Paul 'O bier and George Nelon (multiple tournament wins) Kirk Grounds (thirty fish over two pounds this month this month alone) and Tommy Ezell (largest CAT tournament weigh in of all time) Jay Don and Rhonda Reeve (largest stringer ever recorded in a tournament). All of these people know how to specifically target BIG crappie, and have proven their skill many times over.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Ruffneck2000] #10652452 02/27/15 02:59 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Thanks Lane but, I am only at 28 fish over 2 pounds this month.

Re: Releasing young female fish during spawn!? [Re: Laner] #10652874 02/27/15 05:22 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I would also state 10" male/female or vice versa mating with a trophy crappie does not mean the 10" crappie may in the future not be a 3lber - no one can forecast what that 10 incher will be in the future so it may very well be all good for the gene pool.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide