Forums59
Topics1,037,854
Posts13,935,657
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10582296 01/31/15 01:56 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
So let's see what stimulates an economy and has us idiots spending thousands of dollars a year on lures, rod & reels, line, boats, hotels.

Is it option #1. Alligator gar with a 1 fish limit, heck even a 5 fish limit.

Or

Option #2. The largemouth bass.

When was the last time you guys headed to lake blah blah blah because of the awesome gar fishing?

Choke has so many longnose gar in it that it's just plain silly (yeah I know they aren't alligator gar), nothing keeps the gar population in check other than man and man isn't going to waste the money & time for nothing.

You gar lovers are just plain silly, maybe we should introduce wolves into Texas now too.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10582320 01/31/15 02:12 AM
T
Topwater2 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
Here's what I think should be done from this point on. Launch your boat and start pitching in some brush. fish

FishKen
Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10582406 01/31/15 02:50 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
There was a study done in Mexico a number of years ago , I've posted it in kher threads before so I didn't look it up again.

But basically what they found was with the lower water levels the bass were forced out into open water habitat and were an easier and more abundant target for the gar, and they saw an dramatic increase I the percentage of bass in the studied gars stomach contents.

Another interesting fact was that because gar were so hard to shock up especially for large ones was that they gill netted and trot lined for gar to study.

We had the same situation on falcon. Serious low water levels put heards of bass suspending out in the channel, an easy target for the large gar.

I have caught alot of bass on falcon and on my home lake(that has a huge gar population as well) with what appears to be gar teeth marks in them.

It's either gar or sharks, the gar seem to be more likely.

Are the gar the only reason for a decrease in bass population? No, but an over abundance of any one species, and the right hunting conditions will hurt other prdetor populations for sure.

And if everyone thinks the 5 fish limit is so bad why don't y'all complain about the 25 fish limit of crappie???

Or the fact that bass are at a 5 fish limit too??

Personally I wish they'd get their love transport trucks going and remove a bunch and take the to the regions with declining populations.

I bet of they took 1 million gar out of my home lake it wouldn't even put a dent int the popution.

I see hundreds a day breach.

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: 90 5.0] #10582522 01/31/15 03:51 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: 90 5.0
There was a study done in Mexico a number of years ago , I've posted it in kher threads before so I didn't look it up again.

But basically what they found was with the lower water levels the bass were forced out into open water habitat and were an easier and more abundant target for the gar, and they saw an dramatic increase I the percentage of bass in the studied gars stomach contents.

Another interesting fact was that because gar were so hard to shock up especially for large ones was that they gill netted and trot lined for gar to study.

We had the same situation on falcon. Serious low water levels put heards of bass suspending out in the channel, an easy target for the large gar.

I have caught alot of bass on falcon and on my home lake(that has a huge gar population as well) with what appears to be gar teeth marks in them.

Are the gar the only reason for a decrease in bass population? No, but an over abundance of any one species, and the right hunting conditions will hurt other prdetor populations for sure.

And if everyone thinks the 5 fish limit is so bad why don't y'all complain about the 25 fish limit of crappie???

Personally I wish they'd get their love transport trucks going and remove a bunch and take the to the regions with declining populations.

I bet of they took 1 million gar out of my home lake it wouldn't even put a dent int the popution.

Guys are just wanting to argue, no need in bring common sense into this thread. Apparently gar are gods gift to lakes, therefore we need to protect them and start an anti-gar kill campaign for the gar lovers here. You know, the ones who help stimulate the local economies with all of their gar catching money.

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: grout-scout] #10582803 01/31/15 11:00 AM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: 90 5.0

Guys are just wanting to argue, no need in bring common sense into this thread. Apparently gar are gods gift to lakes, therefore we need to protect them and start an anti-gar kill campaign for the gar lovers here. You know, the ones who help stimulate the local economies with all of their gar catching money.

I think you're confusing "gar lovers" with people who believe that a mild loostening of harvest restrictions on a fish that has a minor impact on largemouth populations is not as significant as some here so adamantly believe it is in the fight to save the almightly largemouth on Falcon. A couple of these people who lack common sense have masters degrees in fisheries management with many more years of experience in the field. But what do those idiot "gar lovers" know about fish population dynamics anyways?

Scott Jones
Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10582805 01/31/15 11:06 AM
F
Fishinkev Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I think I've been extremely 2 sided on this issue. I love bass fishing and if there are too many gar in a lake I'm all for the tp&w thinning them out and getting it in check. The problem I have is too many bass fisherman automatically just hate gar and don't think about the whole picture. In college we did a study of why the fish in the sebine river chain get so much bigger on average and also have a strong population. It's my opinion that it's a combination of things. #1, east texas waters are warmer than central tx water which leads to more productive spawns, #2 more big predator fish to keep small fish numbers in check (not fry), and big deep lakes with an abundance of big gizzard shad. I don't know falcon well but I wonder if some of the problem could be a decrease in gizzard shad, which in turn is causing predator fish to eat more game fish. I wonder if they did a study in the crappie and white bass populations if they are also low. If the gar are eating bass, trust me they are eating crappie also. So I would say if the crappie numbers are right then the problem lies elsewhere. This is very interesting conversation though.

I dont fish for a living but i LIVE TO FISH!

Kevin

PB Largemouth Bass 12lb 2oz
PB Crappie. 3.01lb
PB Striper 23lb
PB Hybrid 7.02lb
Pb buffalo 49.4lb
Pb carp 26.14
Pb flathead 57lb

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: Fishinkev] #10583001 01/31/15 02:24 PM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Really hard to believe that there is any argument about the increase in gar limits. There are folks on here that live to find fault with anything. There's too many gar in falcon, they do eat some bass. With all the things that can lower bass populations they are not number one but are on the list. Few if any folks on the board go to falcon in search of gar and yet folks find it necessary to argue about how many bass a freaking gar eats. Four pages of [censored] and growing. Amazing.

By the way James's only aim is to keep Falcon a great bass fishery, now there is something we can all get p!ssed about.

Last edited by Chet; 01/31/15 02:28 PM.

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10583018 01/31/15 02:33 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I just wish I could find an emoticon beating a dead gar......

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: horseplaydvm] #10584856 02/01/15 05:03 AM
crowsie14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm
James,
I guess if you think it wasn't a waste of money because they did prove one thing we didn't already know, that gar grow faster in Falcon than the northern lakes and rivers. But, so does every other species in that lake and I don't need a study to prove it. Falcon has a warmer climate, hence a longer yearly growing period.
I have followed your post for several years now and your blog on the FLT website. You have tried to convince everyone that the Alligator Gar have drastically reduced the Largemouth Bass population on Falcon Lake. Even though just a few years after we went from a no limit to one gar per day limit, you propose that these gar multiply at an astounding rate. However, there was no mention of a population problem on Falcon prior to 2009 when the limit on gar changed to one per day. And IF, there was an increase in the number of gar due to this bag limit change, the gar offspring starting in 2009-2010 would still not be at a sexually mature age so the population would only increase each year from the population that was already in Falcon prior to 2009.
You with me so far?
If we assume there was a population problem with gar prior to 2009, then why did we have a population boom of largemouth bass during that time?
Now, you even suggest that the recent study on Falcon Lake is flawed because TP&W waited too long to do the study and the gar ate a large portion of the bass population so there is not enough bass left in the lake to get an accurate study. C'mon! Really? You might as well close the tackle shop and open up a hunting lodge.
However, I think most will agree, the bass fishing is actually better down there now than it was after the lake level dropped in 2012. Maybe the gar decided that bass are not that tasty after all?

I fixed one of your words which was misspelled! So what if some magical pirate ship has seen some big bass eaten by gar? Does this deem as factual evidence? or just more BS, or is the only info on GAR depicted from an uneducated, uninformed and highly political wildlife department? Hmmm

Last edited by crowsie14; 02/01/15 05:17 AM.

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: crowsie14] #10584921 02/01/15 06:13 AM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Is there a translator in the house?

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: pYr8] #10585403 02/01/15 03:47 PM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: pYr8
now the dang things will breach in front of wake boarders & break their legs, LOL...

sounds like we need more/bigger gar in North Texas to thin out the wake boarding population! grin

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10585477 02/01/15 04:17 PM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Yeah boy! I'm going to go watch the Garmasters next tournament at Falcon, I bet they draw thousands of fans! Long live the gar, 1 fish per day is way too much, we need a 0 limit. Go gar go.

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10585514 02/01/15 04:30 PM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Grout,
Nobody is trying to save the Gar. I could care less what the limit is. I'm all for a no limit like it was prior to 2009. Point being, it still won't have any major affect on the Bass population.

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: dudley44] #10585774 02/01/15 06:44 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Internet killed falcon along with fillet knives. Big events during warm weather months don't help. You can't change that but dang the elites wasted some big fish. Each person has to take responsibility and I think that gets overlooked when its a once in a lifetime trip to a lake you may never go back to.

Re: Lake Falcon -new gar harvest limit [Re: Jarrett Latta] #10586051 02/01/15 09:02 PM
F
fishnfireman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Internet killed falcon along with fillet knives. Big events during warm weather months don't help. You can't change that but dang the elites wasted some big fish. Each person has to take responsibility and I think that gets overlooked when its a once in a lifetime trip to a lake you may never go back to.

Agreed thumb And it was not just the big tournaments...There were a ton of other tournaments that started adding up.... Then a record drought and extended low water which some of us believe did cause the gar to eat an above normal amount of game fish. Add those all together and you see what we got. flush

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide