Forums59
Topics1,038,940
Posts13,955,921
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed #10569050 01/26/15 03:18 AM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I wanna fish Twok in the next few days before this next front. Seems like the fish arent as active in a still wind although as we all know it makes things easier.

Clay Grigson
Trophy Catfish Guide and fresh gizzard Shad Dealer
twokguide.com

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10569244 01/26/15 05:34 AM
A
ARKMAY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I will be there weds. No matter what the conditions gotta go when you can

Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10569282 01/26/15 07:51 AM
A
Angler in Training Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
I would try both if possible. If I had to choose I would be on the falling pressure day.

Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10569449 01/26/15 01:45 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
One pro online says the worst days to fish are a falling pressure day, think I'll go Tuesday.

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10569484 01/26/15 01:57 PM
C
Clay at twok Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Ha.....just found another dude that said just the opposite in his article. I'm gonna try to pay attention to it going forward but not plan my trips around it. Gotta find the damn things first. Twok tues. Gonna start deep.

Clay Grigson
twokguide.com

Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10569678 01/26/15 03:10 PM
L
liketofishalot Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
read something on here before about a balloon and a fishes stomach. high pressure fills up the balloon=not hungry. low pressure lets air out of the balloon-makes room for food.

that has stuck with me and its the only way i can remember it.

Fish a lot, catch a little
Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: liketofishalot] #10570247 01/26/15 06:11 PM
M
mad_catter1990 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: liketofishalot
read something on here before about a balloon and a fishes stomach. high pressure fills up the balloon=not hungry. low pressure lets air out of the balloon-makes room for food.

I could be wrong...but if there is a high barometric pressure, wouldn't the high pressure cause the air bladder to shrink from the high pressure pushing against it? And then with low pressure since there isn't near as much pressure as their was, I would think that it would cause the air bladder to expand from lack of force from pressure. Alot like when you catch a catfish in deep water you need to "burp" the fish since the water pressure decreases as you reel the fish in and he gets closer to the surface which causes the air bladder to expand and the fish cannot release enough air fast enough which can cause the fish's stomach to protrude into its mouth.. .maybe I'm wrong, but it makes sense to me...I think that any rapid or drastic change in a catfishs environment in a short period will cause the bite to stop due to catfish needing to adjust and stabilize due to their body's sensitivity to so many conditions of their environment...a lot like when the bite turns off for a few days due to the lake the fish are in starting releasewater from its spillway...just my $0.02

Last edited by mad_catter1990; 01/26/15 06:46 PM.

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10570283 01/26/15 06:24 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Fish both days and post your results.

Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Txmedic033] #10570328 01/26/15 06:38 PM
C
CATDADDY JR Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Fish both days and post your results.

+1

Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: mad_catter1990] #10570794 01/26/15 09:22 PM
L
liketofishalot Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: mad_catter1990

I could be wrong...but if there is a high barometric pressure, wouldn't the high pressure cause the air bladder to shrink from the high pressure pushing against it? And then with low pressure since there isn't near as much pressure as their was, I would think that it would cause the air bladder to expand from lack of force from pressure. Alot like when you catch a catfish in deep water you need to "burp" the fish since the water pressure decreases as you reel the fish in and he gets closer to the surface which causes the air bladder to expand and the fish cannot release enough air fast enough which can cause the fish's stomach to protrude into its mouth.. .maybe I'm wrong, but it makes sense to me...I think that any rapid or drastic change in a catfishs environment in a short period will cause the bite to stop due to catfish needing to adjust and stabilize due to their body's sensitivity to so many conditions of their environment...a lot like when the bite turns off for a few days due to the lake the fish are in starting releasewater from its spillway...just my $0.02

you might just as well be right. the balloon theory made worked for my little brain and now its stuck there with a bunch of other useless information

Fish a lot, catch a little
Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: mad_catter1990] #10571257 01/27/15 12:27 AM
doctorxring Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: mad_catter1990

The difference between a low barometer day and a high barometer day is equivalent of the fish changing it's
depth about 1 foot. In other words, for every 32.5 feet of water you descend you will experience an
additional 1 atmosphere of pressure. I've never been convinced that barometric pressure has much to
do with fish behavior. Now wind direction/speed and cloud cover, yes, I've noticed correlations.
And solunar varitions. But like the comment above, I pretty much go when I can.

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10571363 01/27/15 01:13 AM
H
hurricane 201 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I read a very detailed article evaluating the effect of barometric pressure on fish from a scientific point of view.The long story short , the amount of air pressure change, that it would take to affect the pressure of water to a noticeable level by fish would be tremendous, the amount of pressure change they see by moving up or down 1 foot in the water column was greatly more than a full point of the baramoter would make.
Bottom line was that it was very unlikely fish ever notice a change in the baramoter but more likely are affected but the weather conditions associated with pressure change.

I will see if I can locate the article and post it up, much better explanation than I provided.

Catch and release into the grease!

Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10571451 01/27/15 01:38 AM
B
buzzzfrog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Consistent pressure whether its low are high is the key! Quick rises, and quick drops are the problem.

Last edited by buzzzfrog; 01/27/15 01:41 AM.

.....................................Fish Hard Or Go Home!!!!...........................................
Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: hurricane 201] #10572394 01/27/15 02:39 PM
M
mad_catter1990 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: hurricane 201
I read a very detailed article evaluating the effect of barometric pressure on fish from a scientific point of view.The long story short , the amount of air pressure change, that it would take to affect the pressure of water to a noticeable level by fish would be tremendous, the amount of pressure change they see by moving up or down 1 foot in the water column was greatly more than a full point of the baramoter would make.
Bottom line was that it was very unlikely fish ever notice a change in the baramoter but more likely are affected but the weather conditions associated with pressure change.

I will see if I can locate the article and post it up, much better explanation than I provided.

I was researching it last night and read that as well...which makes sense as to why shallow water catfish are more affected by cold fronts than deeper catfish are...shallow water cools off quicker..so quick that the temperature change either drives the fish deeper or gives them lockjaw due to the drastic temp change kinda r like a shock effect...

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: 5mph wind with steady pressure or 15mph with a falling barometer...tue or wed [Re: Clay at twok] #10572914 01/27/15 07:04 PM
A
ARKMAY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I bet they are shallow with these warm sunny days

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide