Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: BassBucknBeer] #10559441 01/22/15 03:23 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: BassBucknBeer
Originally Posted By: sprigsss

What about the employees that worked for the company that drilled the well? The company that provided the fluids, the company that fracked the well?

There's tons in the oil industry besides the man that is selling the oil.

If you look outside of the oil industry, what about the hotel owner that will now have empty rooms?

The restaurants that will now have more empty tables.

People will move out of town and grocery stores will have less shoppers.

Less oilfield workers working will mean less home remodels for carpenters.

More houses on the market, fewer new houses being built.

Less concrete work, less plumbing work, less electrical work, etc.

If you are a doctor you will probably have fewer patients as workers move out of town, or don't go to the doctor for less serious issues now that money is tight.

I don't care what you do, if you live in West Texas there's about a 90% chance that your work will be negatively affected by a plummet in oil prices.

The same will be true for Louisiana. Big cities that have pharmaceutical plants and such won't be hit as hard, but the far majority will feel the effects.

Its easier to fill up your boat at $4.00/gallon when you're working than it is at $1.50/gallon when you are not working.

That being said, I think their can be a healthy compromise. With the wells that are producing in the Bakken and in the Eagleford, I would be surprised to see oil hit $100/bbl again. I think it will SLOWLY rise back to $80/bbl and remain pretty close to there.

I understand what you are saying, but after the company that pumps the oil out of the ground gets paid kess, everyone else in the process of making gasoline makes the same as they were making before. $40/barrel oil doesn't cost more or less to refine than $120/barrel oil, it's not more expensive to ship (less actually since fuel is less)and the station operators are still making their same % as before. They still have to pump the stuff out of the ground,refine it and ship it, so why should people in the industry lose jobs? I'm sure there are reasons, I just don't know.
Its called greed period.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: Mark Jones] #10559460 01/22/15 03:29 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Mark Jones

I understand the point you're trying to make but we can make a laundry list just as long of the direct benefits to the economy from the savings that people are enjoying across this country.

Let's just enjoy it while it lasts...

Hey hopefully you are right. Hopefully this will stimulate the economy. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out where the thousands that recently lost their jobs that were employed in the oilfield are suddenly going to get jobs outside of the oilfield.

I'm not selfish enough to say everyone should pay $4.00/gallon so I'm better off. I want what is better for everyone as a whole. From what I've seen in the past, when the price of oil is high, everyone is working; whether you are a mechanic, waiter/waitress, carpenter, electrician, etc. When the price of oil drops, many are out of work.

High gas prices doesn't only benefit oilfield workers. People were starting out making $15/hour in North Dakota because the shortage of people looking for jobs. What happens when thousands are looking for jobs? They aren't going to pay those types of wages.

Maybe this time will be different.

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: lamoon78] #10559474 01/22/15 03:33 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller
Doesnt matter if gas is $3 a gallon, US oil makes no money until its $80ish a barrel, and they will not run until oil prices hit that. It costs America roughly 2x to produce a barrel of oil as it does for Saudi Arabia. Source: I have a friend who works for Exxon Mobile
Well he is wrong on that. There is no reason gas should be as high as it was that is ridiculous about like it is now 1.80 to 2.00 is fine are they going to make billions and billions no are the greedy SOB's making money hell yes. Its all greed period end of story.

What exactly is he wrong about? Oil in Saudi Arabia is much easier/cheaper to produce than the shale oils being produced in the U.S.

I too question the $80/bbl to "make" money, but that's really just my opinion, I haven't seen the expenses involved. I'm betting it just takes a little longer to recoup their investment, but in the longrun they will make a profit. At the same time, would you sell stock at $40/share today, if you knew you could get $80/share for it next year? Is that being greedy? or being smart?

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559479 01/22/15 03:35 AM
L
L a r r y Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Joey J.
We are talking about an industry that has averaged $45 billion profits the last 5 years. Laying off someone lower on the totem pole allows the executives to bring home $20 million a year salary plus a few million in bonuses. No way the executives could survive in the world if they weren't excessively over paid.

Do you think they really care about the employees who do the real work? Nope!

This right here is what alot do no realize. It is not the roughnecks out in the fields that should lose their jobs, how about cutting some of those benefits packages for those top level executives. Their salaries, bonuses and severance packages are enough to employ some people. The top level people are more concerned on protecting THEIR money, then ensuring the lives of the lower echelon of workers. How many times do we see athletes take pay cuts to get other people around them? Not much, but it does happen.

And like others have said, if you are making $200k/year, be frugal with your money, because at any given point in time, it could be taken away. I know with my measley little salary, and $3+ gallon fillups, I had to get rid of my Chevy truck because $90 week fillups were really starting to take a toll on be able to provide for my family. SO this break in gas prices is long over due. I believe that there were more people out of work when oil prices sky rocketed and the economy tanked.......That is just my observation

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: BassBucknBeer] #10559551 01/22/15 03:53 AM
W
West Texas FX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
You are correct that the refining cost are basically the same if oil is $40 or $120. But I will try to explain why jobs are lost when oil is $40. the refining is the last step in oil production, so let's look at how many different jobs there are getting the oil to the refinery: geologist to find it, landman to lease the land, construction company to clear roads and drill site, trucking company to haul drilling rig to site, drilling company to drill well, pipe company for both casing and drill pipe, leasing company for pumps and generators, Fracking company, construction company to build pipeline, service company to complete the well, set pump jack, storage tanks, separators, etc.. companies that sell the equipment, trucking company to haul water and oil. ( This is not a complete list of all companies involved in the drilling process ).
So this is where I'm going with this: if it cost X dollars to produce X barrels of oil you want to sell at a price that covers your cost? When the price does not cover those cost you do not drill, THEREFORE all the jobs listed above are lost!! Then as mentioned above all are affected

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559599 01/22/15 04:18 AM
zhopson Offline
Angler
Angler
I have worked in the oil industry and out. And I for one feel a little bad for guys that are working for their families but I don't feel bad for kids that buy 50k -70k dollar trucks and or spend 30k on a side by side after they rig it out or go to the bar and spend 3k-4k a night. I mean when I fill up my truck and my diesel tank because I am in the cattle business and it cost a few hundred bucks for some diesel. That hurts and even though cattle prices are the best they have ever been I remember spending $416 to fill up my 100 gallon tank a few year ago during hay season and that was once a week. I love gas or diesel being as cheap as it is. It helps out so many people. The oil industry is crazy I know a guy with no education making well over 300k a year at the age of 26. I think he prolly saves his money. But its awful hard for me to feel sorry for the guys that blow all that money before its made.

sorry for all the run on sentences.

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559658 01/22/15 04:54 AM
W
Workfishngolf37 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I tell you what. Take the money your saving from lower gas prices and give it to someone that got laid off. So you can feel better. Life's about making the right decisions. I was laid off right after buying a house. My dad didn't give me any money but he did say I'll pay you to paint my porch. Two weeks later I went back to my former employer. 5 months after that was called back from layoff.

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559692 01/22/15 06:05 AM
Nitro27 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Here's my 2 cents. Roughnecks do make a decent wage for what they do. If you look at the big picture though, many are traveling hours from the house, staying away from there family more than 6 months per year. It's the life we choose. So the money we make also includes compensation for that. There are missed birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays. There again, it's a personal choice.
As far as the economy, if you lay off 20,000 employees, and the average employee makes 100,000 per year, you are looking 2,000,000,000 per year, that's money that will not go back into the economy. Those 20,000 employees are now going to draw unemployment, that's money that is coming from the federal government, but the government is not going to be making as much, due to the fact there is no taxes being paid on the 2,000,000,000 in lost wages. Guess who picks up the tab for that. But hey, people are saving 300/month at the pump. There has got to be a balance between fair oil prices any price gauging.
As far as companies not making money at 40/bbl, that's true. The oil that is being used right now is mostly foreign oil that is produced at a much cheaper rate due to government regulations, ease of drilling, and simple logistics. The Middle East has flooded the market to drive the price down.
Sorry for the length of this, and thanks for reading

With freedom comes responsibility, when an individual ceases to be responsible, they will loose freedoms
Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559700 01/22/15 06:23 AM
P
pinesjunkie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Man the dum## in this forum are unreal! Keep enjoying the low gas and thinking life is good but if you live in texas your life is effected by the oil and gas ind, wait tell the end of year and all you read about is short coming on taxes these are not walmart jobs we are losing once the oil money slows so will Texas,,

Brad Smith
Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559708 01/22/15 07:17 AM
C
cephusjoe Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Business comes and goes... Economic growth rises and falls for certain states or products over time. A lot of people have been laid off for along time for different reasons. That will never change.

Mcurtain county okie
Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559830 01/22/15 12:51 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Gas is $1.99 in Knoxville, Tn.....go south 60 miles.....$1.75.....I shop Kroger....with their savings card....I usually save .80- $1 per gallon.....it helps....

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559852 01/22/15 01:04 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Gas price is a steady $1.679 here in Gonzales. I have lived and worked thru many oil booms and busts, and this one is no different from any other. During the boom, people spent money like there was no tomorrow. They built and bought things they didn't need. Oilfield workers driving new pickups, companies buying more equipment. Then the bust hits, all those new pickups sitting on banks parking lots, all those drilling rigs laid down, companies filing bankruptcy. If they would have just been reasonable in spending, the may have been able to survive till the recovery. And there will be a recovery.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559894 01/22/15 01:27 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I don't truly understand oil prices and gas prices. I smile when gas is cheaper and cringe when it goes up. That said, I bought the Jeep I have when gas was $3.59 a gallon "because it gets 17+mpg and is 4wd". I also bought my wife a Lexus Hybrid,"because gas was so expensive". Now it's not uncommon to use $25-$30 a week in gas for my jeep to get to work and back and go fishing everyday. Her car went from $21 a week in fuel to $10 a week in fuel. She drives A LOT. I was preparing for much higher fuel prices and this recent savings has been nice. I don't think it's gonna last. Haha. But the thing that most people do not do nowadays is PLAN! I plan for the bad times and that allows me to enjoy life. I do not go crazy when times are great. I stockpile money. Lol. I resist the temptation to buy a HellCat...and a BassCat. I make due with a crappy old Nitro Z6.

My mom, on the other hand, has her land in SDakota leased to a oil research company and she went from getting MAD MONEY to AMAZING MONEY. lol. But, she's doesn't spend it crazily. She invests it and says it will not last for ever (the oil) and when the Bakken dries up, it's game over. So she just takes the money and invests. The land, BTW, is worth 20x more money per acre today than it was 10yrs ago. And not due to oil. Because LAND is a true finite resource. Fuel isn't. There is alternatives. I think it's funny how people talk about "Texas oil". It doesn't come close to the amount of oil in the Dakotas and southern canada.

Oh well. I'm in the camp of "it is what it is".

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: TorySweatman] #10559963 01/22/15 01:55 PM
B
BassBucknBeer Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I would bet that oil companies still show massive profits, Even at this oil price... what does that tell you???

Re: Jumping Gas Prices [Re: BassBucknBeer] #10560018 01/22/15 02:16 PM
Nitro27 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: BassBucknBeer
I would bet that oil companies still show massive profits, Even at this oil price... what does that tell you???

It tells me that when the price went down, they cut their work force so they could keep their profits up

With freedom comes responsibility, when an individual ceases to be responsible, they will loose freedoms
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide