Print Thread
Led lights DIY instructions? #10519127 01/05/15 08:38 PM
C
Cyberfisherman Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Does anyone know how to install LED lights on a yak the best way your self or should I just go to mariner sails and let a professional do it?

Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: Cyberfisherman] #10520152 01/06/15 03:10 AM
C
CraigMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Installing LED's isn't a tough job...

The SuperNova kits are nice and have everything you need already assembled. The LED's that I've seen at Academy use the lower output 3528 LED's instead of the much brighter 5050's and don't include the other parts you will need. Amazon sells everything you need but not in a single kit.

If you have a little confidence with a soldering iron, the parts aren't that hard to find and you can save some $$.

On my own kayaks (2 for me and 1 for my kid), I went the home-brew route and saved enough money to mess up a few times without caring too much about it.

If you like to tinker and have the time for it, I'd say go ahead and give it a shot. If you just want to get it done, let the guys at Mariner do it for you.

Craig

Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: CraigMcD] #10546033 01/16/15 04:45 AM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Thanks man!! My question is what other parts would I need other than the strips and the battery? I think I would like to try it myself and just be careful. Thank you for the info.

Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: Cyberfisherman] #10546074 01/16/15 05:41 AM
B
Banjo Ed Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Cyberfisherman
Thanks man!! My question is what other parts would I need other than the strips and the battery? I think I would like to try it myself and just be careful. Thank you for the info.

That's what I need to know too. I want to do it myself, but not sure about parts, like what to use to close off the end when it's cut off. I'm all about saving money

I'm a CHF Patient,having the time of my life yakin!
Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: Cyberfisherman] #10550396 01/18/15 03:01 PM
C
CraigMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
In addition to the LED strips and battery, you will need the following:

2 strand wire like this: http://www.amazon.com/20ga-Red-Black-Hookup-Wire/dp/B001JT1CEE/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

one or more fuse holders like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-445199-1-I...1439&sr=1-9
-If you are going to have the fuse holder outside of your battery box, get one with a waterproof cover.
-1 per circuit.

Waterproof Switch(es): Lots of options here, find ones that fit in your boat and look good to you.

Shrink tube to cover the ends of the LED strips

Clear silicone adhesive.

3M adhesion promotor (you can get this at O'Reilly Auto for a couple of bucks per packet) or Acetone.

Zip ties and stick on tabs for wire management (optional but gives a cleaner install).

Got all that?

OK, here we go...

-Cut the LED strips to the length you want. If you look at the strips, there's a mark every 3rd LED that shows where to cut. Longer strips are, obviously, going to throw off more light but also drain your battery faster. My front ones are about 4' long and, honestly, it's overkill but pick what makes you happy.

-Peel back the backing on the strip on one end just a little and you'll see the contact points that you're going to solder your wires to. They will be covered with the adhesive so scrape that clean before soldering.

-Solder in a section of wire to the strips (red to positive, black to negative). Go ahead and use several feet of wire so that it's easier to work with inside the kayak when you hook it all up.

-Test you connections by hooking it up to the battery.

-Repeat for all of your strips.

-Put a dab of silicone over your soldered connections then slide shrink tube on top and shrink it down. This should make your connection fairly waterproof.

-Test them again.

-Position them on your kayak where you want them to go and hold them in place with blue painter's tape. This will show you where the end of the strip is and where you need to drill through to pass the wire. Use the smallest drill bit that will allow the wire through.

-Bring all the wires together and hook them up to the fuse holder(s) for each circuit that you want. I have two, one for outside lights and another for interior lights.

-Hook them up to the battery and test them again.

-For each strip, move it out of the way and clean the hull with acetone. If you bought the adhesion promotor, apply it now. Peel the backing off of the strips and stick them to your kayak. I use dots with a sharpie to mark the position to make alignment easier. Press them on firmly and make sure you don't have any spots sticking up.

-I put a dab of silicone on both ends of the strip to help protect them and a thin bead along the full length of the strips. So far, no trouble with them coming off. Also put a dab of silicone on the holes where the wires go through.

-Mount your switches where you like.

-Make all of your connections permanent. I solder and shrink wrap mine instead of using crimp connectors but that's just me.

-Verify your work by impressing your wife with your mad skillz and handiwork! OK...maybe not your wife but your fishing buddies for sure.

Go fish.

Craig

Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: CraigMcD] #10655000 02/28/15 06:08 AM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Hey craig, Im sorry I did not do this sooner! THANK You for your help. I have bought what I need and will be installing them hopefully this weekend!! This info really help me. I cant say thank you enough!

Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: Cyberfisherman] #10656253 02/28/15 08:23 PM
C
CraigMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Glad I could help...

Noticed on another thread that you got the Super Nova extreme kit...that's a good choice. Great quality and Super Nova supports our sport as well.

Make sure you post up some pics when you get them installed!

Tight lines,
Craig

Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: Cyberfisherman] #10852746 05/18/15 04:51 PM
P
Pescado Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I've heard silicon reacts to the plastic. There is another product at Lowe's I got http://www.lowes.com/pd_455441-13518-13010_0Z1z0x7c4__?productId=4714985&pl=1&Ntt=caulk that according to a video I saw on YouTube is supposed to be the best for our application.

Tim

Re: Led lights DIY instructions? [Re: Cyberfisherman] #10860011 05/21/15 04:07 AM
P
Pescado Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
What electric connections did you guys come up with. I have everything but the connections. I'm deciding if I want to put it in a sealed box or not.

Ideas?

Tim

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide