Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hawg Trough mods #9856269 03/26/14 04:10 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
For those who are Kayak Warriors or just would like an easy way to remember State species/size limits, the back of the HT is a good place to keep track of requirements. A friend and I failed to capture a number of eligible KW fish because we thought the requirement was different than actual. I just used a waterproof marks-a-lot and recorded KW min/trophy sizes on the HT - it has held up for several outings and fish so far:

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #9856612 03/26/14 05:47 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
More mods:

Marking increments with marker.

Making it float - some use foam sealant, weatherstripping or wooden dowel in the channel.

http://www.hookline-sinker.net/2012/08/must-do-hawg-trough-mods.html

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #9858021 03/27/14 12:12 AM
O
onebaddj Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
thats definatly the smart thing to do. i have mine all marked the same info and it saved me today with a 15 inch drum. couldnt remember the length and looked at the side of my board and bingo right there. marking the lines for each minimum makes it a better pick for submission also.

MALIBUTEE X-13.

" I wasnt born with enough middle fingers"
Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10430517 11/23/14 08:21 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R

PSA: I failed to take my own advice and as proof I present the following:

This was not an attempt to create a smaller board to make my fish look bigger but rather what happens to many Hawg Troughs that get used as they should. This particular board is less than a year old and has become brittle with time. Admittedly, I have put some big fish across this board and if I felt the board was abused, I would willingly accept the responsibilitybut I think the product has degraded since new over what I consider a short period of time and the material used needs to be re-evaluated. I was already seeing evidence of problems with chips out of the side (see pic and notice chip near the front of the board) but a recent trip did it in for good. There is a method of installing dowel rods in the grooves in the back for added strength and I highly suggest doing that if you havent done it yet. I have a back-up HT I keep with a second yak and that will see the mod before the next time it is used. Im a bit disappointed in the lack of robustness of this product everything else about it I loved but the customer should not have a failure like this or have to make modifications such as the dowels to a product that is expected to be used extensively outdoors and with flopping and sometimes unhappy fish on them. I think the particular plastic used is not conducive to the temperature swings and UV we expose it to - I am going to present this to Hawg Trough and let them know I cannot recommend their product as is to others without doing modifications or without HT making improvements.

Hawg Trough graded A on features graded D- on longevity.

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10430544 11/23/14 08:35 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
This was not an attempt to create a smaller board to make my fish look bigger

Lol nice one.

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10430568 11/23/14 08:51 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P

Your fish are just to BIG roflmao

Mine broke last year and I put it back together with oak dowel rods and it's been good since. I agree that they need to be more robust and I also wish I didn't have to re-mark the lines so often.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10430641 11/23/14 09:27 PM
Y
Yak FinAddic Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
The yak gear measuring boards is much stronger and floats making it worth the $. I have noticed the ink they use on mine is showing wear but I plan on just taking an oil based paint pen over the markings that need it. I often use my YG board similar to what the back waters paddle is advertised to do. It comes in handy having the 36" board too. As far as the negative, I do wish the YG board had the "trough" feature to caress the fish a little more during photo sessions.

Roger, you might also want to call out the fact that rather than just having the numbers and markings molded into the board, HT should add the black ink to keep consumers from having to "mark" their own boards after purchasing...

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10430689 11/23/14 09:52 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Pelican, my fish aren't necessarily big, they are just of the bigger variety. I'd trade some of my big fish for your big fish any day. smile I did a "repair" on mine the day I broke it as I needed it for the next day. It's not pretty but it got me through the day.....think a piece of plastic, nuts, bolts and superglue. wink

Adrian, good points. I would do the YG board in a heartbeat but I've noticed in pics it doesn't seem to show as well. Maybe it's just the white color as I've noticed white HT's don't show well either. I just want a yellow/green HT that is strong and an option of a 36" would be great - that's all and life is good. Good suggestions on the markings, I'll pass that on.

By chance, does anyone know who actually mfg's or is the primary distributor for the HT? Any of your mariner guys know?

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10430718 11/23/14 10:01 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Here are common failures and again less than a year old. Henry was smart enough to dowel his but he still has side chips and looking close, there are fractures across the board as well. It prob would have broken if not for the dowels. Note - the last 2 pics are Henry's board with dowel showing where it's chipped.

Last edited by FishAll50; 11/23/14 10:18 PM.
Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10431758 11/24/14 04:34 AM
T
TeamHeineken Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Looks like the OEM is Hagen's Fishing Tackle and Lure out of Mitchell SD.

I'd post the website, but my IPhone's not cooperating.

I have the same HT and the same concerns.

Team Heineken
Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10432478 11/24/14 04:18 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Added great idea from Chris Coufal for future reference:

Originally Posted By: pelican

I wish I didn't have to re-mark the lines so often.

Clean it real well......mark the lines and then spray several light coats of rattlecan clear on it....allowing it to dry between. Those lines will be good for 12 months. I mark mine once a year......

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10433483 11/25/14 01:00 AM
F
fishr3 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I stuffed and then glued strips of Frost King 5/8" poly foam caulk saver into the grooves of my HT for floatation.

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10443053 11/29/14 04:09 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
FWIW - concerns have been relayed to the mfg of the Hawg Trough. And Luther Cifers of YakAttack has confirmed that YA is working on an improved board. The features that many of us prefer (strong, floating, easy to read color, more permanent markings, different length options) were relayed to both parties.

Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10492008 12/23/14 08:22 PM
R
RogerB Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Ok, I have beat this one to death already but here is my final post (for today at least smile ). The company making the HT was contacted first asking them if they were the manufacturer of the HT. I got a simple "yes" with no other questions, comments, etc. Short but sweet - and they did answer my question so technically that is acceptable but that should have prepared me for the rest. Upon sending them the concerns with longevity of the board as well as suggestions including those gathered from others, I have heard nothing. Not a "thank you" much less a "we will take your suggestions into consideration", not even a derogatory comment about mine or anyone else's mother. With that, I have to say HT does not care about our business or how their products fare in use. I have purchased 2 HT's over the past year and as much as I liked them, the longevity issue and respective lack of response is enough that I will not purchase another. I look forward to other manufacturers improving upon the HT and earning their market share from HT. de

Last edited by FishAll50; 12/23/14 08:29 PM.
Re: Hawg Trough mods [Re: RogerB] #10496274 12/26/14 02:14 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
Ok, I have beat this one to death already but here is my final post (for today at least smile ). The company making the HT was contacted first asking them if they were the manufacturer of the HT. I got a simple "yes" with no other questions, comments, etc. Short but sweet - and they did answer my question so technically that is acceptable but that should have prepared me for the rest. Upon sending them the concerns with longevity of the board as well as suggestions including those gathered from others, I have heard nothing. Not a "thank you" much less a "we will take your suggestions into consideration", not even a derogatory comment about mine or anyone else's mother. With that, I have to say HT does not care about our business or how their products fare in use. I have purchased 2 HT's over the past year and as much as I liked them, the longevity issue and respective lack of response is enough that I will not purchase another. I look forward to other manufacturers improving upon the HT and earning their market share from HT. de

Sounds like a good opportunity for someone, if there's enough of a market for it this should eventually get resolved. Free market at it's best.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide