Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Not long now! [Re: Robert Hunter] #10439287 11/27/14 02:58 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
We fish the Sabine every year without fail. When it's on, it's epic. Only had poor trips when the river was really high or if the weather was unusually cold like last year. Even then we caught good fish though. Jane's place is an awesome base, with good fishing to be had both up and down river. We've found the best numbers to be late Feb til mid March, but conditions can certainly change that too.

For non fly guys, take light tackle with fluorescent red head jigs (1/8-1/4oz) or road runners, and grubs in chart., white, and sometimes darker colors like green can be good when the sun is bright with relatively good water clarity. I say relatively because even when the river is "clear", it's still pretty dirty.

My personal best string was 18 fish in 18 casts one day, missed one on the 19th cast, then caught another 12 in a row, put my pole down to eat a sammich, then went right back to catching again.

Big boats are doable, but it can be rather hazardous when the water is really low. Smaller boats 18' and below are ideal, but have seen a few 20'+ boats as well. If you have a pretty boat and are going to freak out if you bump into a stump or three, then I suggest you leave it at home and ride with someone who is not so worried about such things. Big boats can also keep you from fishing some of the best spots, like if the fish are stacking up in the feeder creeks. Those creeks can be very narrow with a lot of fallen trees and stumps to navigate along with other boats. I run an 1860 tin boat and it can get tight with it at times, but I can still manage to get it where needed. A 22' center console, while doable for the most part, will have you somewhat limited to the main river channel unless the river is in flood stage.

Leave any attitudes that you might own the water behind. Standard casting distance intervals can go out the window quickly. When the fish stack up in certain spots people will gravitate to them and there are times when you could cross the river or feeder creeks stepping from one boat to another (often with everyone wearing fish out). With so many people in one river, common sense/courtesy can go a long way when running the river. Rounding a tight bend (and there are plenty of them) and finding a boat sitting in the middle of the river is not uncommon, so please exercise caution.

All that being said, the fishing can sometimes be a bit technical. I've seen times when certain spots hold fish extremely well, but presentation can be critical. But once you dial them in, you can load a boat in short order. I've seen other times when the fish are scattered and you can pull a few out of a spot, then you'll either have to wait for the hole to replenish or move to a similar spot to find more. Let the water come up, or drop, a foot or three, and the fishing can change. The fish will still be there, they will just change where they stack up. Be flexible and establish a pattern as quick as you can. Almost every fish will tell you what to look for.

Lastly, I know most here are, but make sure you are legal in every aspect. I have been checked every single trip by GW's, as often as three times in one day by the same warden.

Last edited by psycho0819; 11/27/14 03:14 PM.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Not long now! [Re: Jimbo100] #10439359 11/27/14 03:26 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Jimbo100
Is there any good spots to bank fish or launch a kayak?

Absolutely. Jane's place (River Ridge) is a great launching spot for watercraft. Or you could launch upstream and do more of a float trip if you have a pickup vehicle at Jane's or farther downstream.

Sandbars litter the length of the river in that area. Some fish better than others, but there are plenty to beach a boat on and walk/fish. Just be aware, the are plenty of larger boats running up and down the river so boat wakes could be an issue. I'm not a "Yakar" so I wouldn't know how big an issue wakes could be. I do try to be extra courteous around you guys, but sometimes I can't if I round a bend and you're where I can't shut down in time to avoid waking you. Most people are courteous, but there's always a few......

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Not long now! [Re: Robert Hunter] #10439430 11/27/14 03:49 PM
texsam Offline
Angler
Angler
psycho0 08
Thank you for the very informative read. I am not [and can,t] pull my boat out cedar creek to join
the love fest. But I learn much from your post and will try these methods on my lake.thanks for
sharing.

SAE
Re: Not long now! [Re: Robert Hunter] #10479191 12/17/14 05:23 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Man, I just love the look of the last pic here. What program did you use to get that 80's magazine look? Beautiful pic! clap

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide