Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A Brush with Death #10412647 11/15/14 01:20 PM
F
Fritz423 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
F
I posted this on another thread and it got me thinking that lots of other folks have had hair-raising experiences on the water. It might help someone to know about dangerous mistakes other people made. Fess up and tell us your fishing war stories-------

I was down outside Dagger Island with some people on a still spring morning back in 2001 or thereabouts. We checked the weather channel before heading out (first mistake) and the forecast was clear and calm.

When a freak storm hit us we could see water lifting off the bay to the north and then bam! 70 mph winds. We didn't really have an escape plan (second mistake) and our 18 ft logic cc was beat to hell. After an hour we found the channel that connects Redfish Bay to the intercoastal waterway and found a blessed lee shore to tie to.

5 people died that day so the newspaper said, I think if we were in a bass boat there'd have been 8.

Wishin' I was fishin', and dreaming of beer
Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10412787 11/15/14 02:50 PM
R
Rudy Lackey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Ray Roberts i was guiding a couple it was heavy fog.We got our first spot
by compass,we had idled all the way when I killed the motor we heard someone
yelling help! When was safe we found the boat 3/4 out of the water beached
Broken wind shield with blood on Sand Island.Had to be going to fast.

Rudy
Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10413000 11/15/14 04:33 PM
carb Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A few years ago when I still had my big boat I drug it down to Port Aransas and October. It was extremely windy that day, but it was not too big of an issue for me because of the size of my boat. We decided to anchor over by the Fina docs to get out of the wind. We anchored just to the south of the docs because we could not squeeze between the pylons because my boat was too big, or so I thought. we were having no luck so I decided to pull the anchor. I also decided to use the anchor ball which I had very little experience with. Due to the wind and my lack of experience the anchor rope got caught up in my prop causing the boat to stall. The wind was out of the south and my boat started drifting closer and closer to the rusty pylons. For reasons I will never understand the boat which was being pushed onnly by the wind. Managed to go right between the pylons only bumping them slightly causing rust and chunks to fall into the boat only making the situation more dramatic. My boat was powered by an outboard so I raised it out of the water and stayed at the wheel as my brother and dad try to cut the rope off the prop with no success. The rope was very thick and wrapped around the prop extremely tight. We were only 20 or 30 feet from the rock wall near the docks when I realized I hadmy Cuda survival knife in my boat bag. I threw the knife over to my brother. He used it and as soon as the blade struck the rope, the rope almost exploded off of the prop because it was wound so tight. I was able to lower the motor into the water and it started immediately. We only had about 10 feet to spare before we were thrown into the rocks. about half of the people I had on board or not were not wearing life vests. my dad was wearing a lifevest but he does not know how to swim. Like I said the winds were very strong that day and even with the lifevest it would've been very dicey had we gone into the water. since that day, I always carry that knife with me on my boat and I never use an anchor ball. I am sure there are many many people that can use it very skillfully, I am not one of those people. Furthermore I should not have tried a new technique when I was in unfamiliar waters under less than perfect conditions.

[Linked Image]

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10413173 11/15/14 06:10 PM
R
roadtrip Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Wow! Glad you're ok.

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10413232 11/15/14 06:40 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Messed with Lighting on Fayette County one day, tried to idle to cover and almost got struck 3 times in a matter of a minute, don't run the motor during a storm. We were in a bad situation and The Big Man was looking out for us that day. Will never put myself in that position again.

The storm passed and we caught a bunch after but still, scary as hell.

Last edited by MagFluker; 11/15/14 06:42 PM.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10413578 11/15/14 10:14 PM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Got caught out on Lake Travis in my cousin's 18 footer when the wind starting blowing hard and we decided to beach the boat rather than risk sinking. Even though we got soaked but two others lost their lives not a mile upriver from us.

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10413743 11/15/14 11:41 PM
T
tuck4x4 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
In the early '90s I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB Alaska. My friend Orin and I decided to go fishing and drove north from Anchorage about 3 hours to the Willow area and parked my car about 5 miles off the main road at a turnaround. We then hiked 3 miles from the car to Devils lake, crossing three mountain ridges and lots and lots of bear sign. The path was just a thin muddy trail.

At the base of the trail there were several canoes chained to a tree. We had arranged before leaving, to have the key to one of them, and we loaded up and launched. We then rowed from our put-in to the opposite end of the lake and abso-friggin-lutely slayed the Salmon that were running up the creek there. Devil's lake is known for its Pike but what most people didnt know was that it also supported a huge salmon run. We shared that stream with a bunch of brown bears and had an absolutely great time!

It was on the way back that things got bad.

This was fall in Alaska and the sun was setting around 7 pm. the temperature also began to fall to about 45 and the lake water was 40 or so. To shorten the row back, we decided to cut across the lake via the middle. About halfway there I realized that I did not have my car keys in my pocket and we began looking on the floor of the canoe for them. We both saw a flash at the same exact time and reach for something and flipped the canoe.

I will never forget the shock of falling into the 40 degree water. everything in the boat was lost, rods, reels, fish, gear etc. Orin panicced and was splashing and blowing water with barely any of his face above water. I shouted at him to swim over to his preserver and put it on, and I got mine too, then I got him to go get his paddle and we got back into the now submerged canoe.

Even filled with water, a canoe will support your weight and we began to row the submerged canoe towards the nearest shore, only our torsos showing above the lake. To make matters worse, a heavy fog then rolled in and the banks became invisible. Orin began talking about broccoli and my wife... and other things, and I knew he was hypothermic. For some reason I did not feel bad at all, just really really cold.

We made it to the shore and stood up out of the canoe and I noticed that Orin had a hook stuck through his back, skin and all, and had towed a rod across the lake without knowing it, so one rod saved!

We dumped out the canoe and began rowing along the shore, trying to find the place where we had put-in.

I finally found the area, and we got out and began tallying our gear. It turned out hat I had polypropolene long johns and a shirt on, Orin had only jeans and a T-shirt, so I gave him the pants and kept the shirt. We then crawled the three miles from the lake to the car, feeling the path in the dark, having several bear scares on the way.

No actual bears, just the scares...

When we got to the car, I found my keys sticking out of the trunk lock and we were good to go.

So.... 12 hours after Im supposed to be home, I walk into my apartment and it all hits me. I overturned a canoe into near freezing water, in the middle of Alaska, and then, while hypothermic, crawl 3 miles back to my car. I walk into the bedroom to tell my wife and as I open the door, she yells at me, "Dont even say a word to me, you didn't take the trash out and I had too."

I turned around, went to the couch, and didnt speak to her again for 2 days!

Funny in hind sight.

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10413799 11/16/14 12:15 AM
I
I love fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
My bad experience was back in 2011 at Lake Lewisville. Bad storm moved in and sandie and hybrid were feeding on top. I casted my crank bait and noticed my line was arching in the air. I could feel the static electricity sparking. I kicked start my motor and head to the nearest shoreline. Sure enough strong wind, storm, and lightening came thru. That was a close call. Never do that again.

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10413859 11/16/14 12:47 AM
P
Phototex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
In 1973, I was fishing at Medina Lake in my first bass boat, at 14-foot Terry with a 25 Johnson and stick steering. I was running up the lake at full throttle, and bent over to re-tie my worm hook, lure, or whatever I had tied on. I guess I leaned to my right, and when I did, the boat slowly turned 90 degrees to the right. When I straightened up, the boat must have done so, too. I kept re-tying, but never looked up. The next thing I knew, I was regaining consciousness, but couldn't breathe, and everything looked green to me. Soon thereafter, my head broke through the surface of the lake, and I found myself in the water sitting on the shallow bottom, with my boat right next to me, motor idling. I had hit a rock retaining wall head-on at full speed, which I'm guessing was about 25 mph. Everything in my boat had torn loose and been thrown forward - both seat pedestals, tackle boxes, rods & reels, etc....and me, or course. I had turned a complete flip and, after tearing up my shin on the trolling motor, hit the retaining wall with the back of my head, upside down - which knocked me out. I was damned lucky I didn't drown. I still fish alone, but I'm a whole lot more attentive now. I guess that's partly why I no longer own a bass boat, although I did own 3 others after that. I was in the USAF then, and they kept me in Wilford Hall overnight for observation since I had lost consciousness, but I was OK. It resulted in a few stitches in my shin, but I was damned lucky...and I did learn a good lesson from that "near miss."

Last edited by phototex; 11/16/14 12:51 AM.

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Rudy Lackey] #10414071 11/16/14 01:42 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey

The only time I have ever not thought I was not going to make it back to the ramp was on Ray Roberts. High winds and big waves had me very worried.

Last edited by Rayzor; 11/16/14 03:51 AM.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Phototex] #10414103 11/16/14 01:54 AM
T
Thump My Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: phototex
In 1973, I was fishing at Medina Lake in my first bass boat, at 14-foot Terry with a 25 Johnson and stick steering. I was running up the lake at full throttle, and bent over to re-tie my worm hook, lure, or whatever I had tied on. I guess I leaned to my right, and when I did, the boat slowly turned 90 degrees to the right. When I straightened up, the boat must have done so, too. I kept re-tying, but never looked up. The next thing I knew, I was regaining consciousness, but couldn't breathe, and everything looked green to me. Soon thereafter, my head broke through the surface of the lake, and I found myself in the water sitting on the shallow bottom, with my boat right next to me, motor idling. I had hit a rock retaining wall head-on at full speed, which I'm guessing was about 25 mph. Everything in my boat had torn loose and been thrown forward - both seat pedestals, tackle boxes, rods & reels, etc....and me, or course. I had turned a complete flip and, after tearing up my shin on the trolling motor, hit the retaining wall with the back of my head, upside down - which knocked me out. I was damned lucky I didn't drown. I still fish alone, but I'm a whole lot more attentive now. I guess that's partly why I no longer own a bass boat, although I did own 3 others after that. I was in the USAF then, and they kept me in Wilford Hall overnight for observation since I had lost consciousness, but I was OK. It resulted in a few stitches in my shin, but I was damned lucky...and I did learn a good lesson from that "near miss."

So let me get this straight..

You were running across the lake at full throttle in a stick steered boat and were trying to tie a lure on at the same time????

You're a special kinda dummy! lol....

2002 21 Ft Fish Master CC & 140 4 Stroke Suzuki

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10414223 11/16/14 02:44 AM
F
Fritz423 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
F
My dad was USAF then Phototex. You ever fish with a Senior Master Sergeant Fritz? He did a lot of tournaments and often spoke of a bad accident with a stick steer boat. He also drove a stick steer with a 25 hp Johnson.

Wishin' I was fishin', and dreaming of beer
Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Thump My Jig] #10414331 11/16/14 03:50 AM
L
Lil joe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Thump My Jig
Originally Posted By: phototex

So let me get this straight..

You were running across the lake at full throttle in a stick steered boat and were trying to tie a lure on at the same time????

You're a special kinda dummy! lol....

Kinda what I was thinkin' roflmao

Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Fritz423] #10414491 11/16/14 08:23 AM
T
tgifish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I use to fish Borne Lake quite a bit out of a little Fisher tin crappie boat, back in the early '90's. This one time I fished past midnight and a heavy dew set in and made the aluminum slick as snot in a honey bucket. It had square aluminum tubes that ran along the inside of the boat that I used as steps between the front and rear of the boat. I went to turn my motor in the opposite direction and on my way back I slipped off the aluminum tube and went over board sort of feet first with my rod in my right hand and some how catching the gunwale with my left hand. I pulled myself back in after saving my rod and set on my homemade deck for a couple of minutes to wait for the adrenaline to slow down. I couldn't help but think about all of the "What If's" on the way back to the ramp and home.

Speaking of Medina lake, my wife and I had a close call one night in that same little aluminum boat. I can't recall exactly why our running lights quit working, maybe a fuse or a wire issue, but I couldn't get them to work. It was just after dark and I decided to try and hug the shoreline between Church Cove and the ramp at Avalon park. I don't know what the name of that long shallow point on the north side is but when we went wide around it in 3 or 4 feet of water we met this freaking big tri-hull cruising right at us. All we could do was yell and scream at the driver to get him to go around us and he chose to hug the shore line to. I don't know how he made it around the point without hitting something, besides us. From then on I didn't get in the boat without knowing that I had my tools and plenty of spare parts with me.

A quick comment to tuck4x4's post about the time I drove behind Six Mile Lake at Elmendorf AFB and watched the salmon leaping 2'-3' up into a 16" drain pipe, under Talley Ave., to continue their journey to their spawning grounds. Crazy!

Last edited by tgifish; 11/16/14 08:40 AM.
Re: A Brush with Death [Re: Rayzor] #10414998 11/16/14 04:44 PM
R
Rudy Lackey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey

The only time I have ever not thought I was not going to make it back to the ramp was on Ray Roberts. High winds and big waves had me very worried.

I've prayed all across several times.

Rudy
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide