Forums59
Topics1,038,947
Posts13,956,194
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #10415454 11/16/14 08:47 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)
I know what they are for your traveling partner......LOL

Only the finest hotels and 4 star restaurants for that guy though..... woot bolt roflmao

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Mark Perry] #10415456 11/16/14 08:48 PM
H
HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Only the finest hotels and 4 star restaurants for that guy though..... woot bolt roflmao

Lol. That RV has had some serious meals cooked in it!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Mark Perry] #10415462 11/16/14 08:50 PM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

I wished Mark It will be better this year since he put me in charge of accomadtions.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #10415466 11/16/14 08:52 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

Lol. That RV has had some serious meals cooked in it!

I watched an MMA fight or two in there at a Champs deal I think it was. I admit though I always was jealous of that van setup he had back in the day. That was genius and made fishing a lot more convenient I bet. cheers

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Tubby] #10415468 11/16/14 08:53 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Tubby

I wished Mark It will be better this year since he put me in charge of accomadtions.

Oh great....so ya'll will be staying at the In and Out hourly express motels and eating at waffle House all year.... roflmao

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #10415472 11/16/14 08:55 PM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

BTW
These are my opinions and not you know who. He would scald me for this. I am done having fun.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10415481 11/16/14 08:58 PM
H
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
LOL. I'll take up for you.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10415527 11/16/14 09:18 PM
F
FDR80 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I respect those guys talent and the knowledge they have shared to make fishing more enjoyable. But fishing for your own money at that level is a total turnoff to me.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)] #10415528 11/16/14 09:18 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
You forgot to add in the compensation that the pros get thru sponsors, product development fees, income from use of their image or naming rights, etc....If you're going to look at the expenses then you need to look at all their revenue not just winnings.

The fishing industry is far from the edge of the cliff.
This brings me back to something I heard Rick Clunn say at a weigh in down @ Richland Chambers several years ago @ a BASS Invitational, It was a late spring tournament and he had already won $60k @ that point. He said he had spent more than that in entry fees, traveling expenses, etc. He said you had to have good sponsors to make a go of it that winnings won't pay the bills............

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10415615 11/16/14 10:10 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
I have a pretty extensive background in rodeo, both on the competition side and on the business side. Bass fishing lines right up with rodeo as far as marketability. We all think it's a major sport, but out there in the real world, people do not recognize it as such. Rodeo and fishing always have been and always will be supported from within their own industry. Yes, each year there's a new sponsor or two that comes in and tries to get a piece of the pie - Jack Links, Kellogg, etc. At the end of the day, we all know that if it comes to buying that new rod/reel or supporting a sponsor, we are gonna buy our toys first. As with rodeo, fishing is expensive. It takes a lot of income to support this "habit". That doesn't leave a lot of extra money to spend as goodwill to the sponsors that are in place. Ya, if Little Junior eats Kellogg Frosted Flakes, then dad is going to continue buying them for him, but dad is going to buy 'em whether Kellogg is a sponsor of the industry or not. Dad isn't going to splurge and buy the Kellogg Raisin Bran just because they are a sponsor.

The other side of the coin is sponsorship exposure. Of course, we all think those logos the pros wear and are on their vehicles reach millions and millions of people. They may reach a lot of people, but it has to be the right people. Yes, it's reaching Little Junior and his dad, but we've already addressed the problem there. They are saving up just to support their own fishing habit. So this means you need to have brand exposure to new, financially stabile households. This type of viewership, generally speaking, doesn't watch fishing on tv nor do they subscribe to Field & Stream. Again, we believe everyone loves fishing or loves rodeo because our whole life centers around that particular industry, but it's just not viewed as a major past time in America.

Lastly, it was said above that hunting and fishing is a $50B industry. While that statement might be true, the subject at hand is about sponsorships of Bass Tournaments. That cuts that $50B down significantly. An equal comparison would be saying by being a sponsor of Minute Maid Park you are partaking in the trillion dollar industry of MLB when in actuality you're only centered in a very small piece of the equation.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10415708 11/16/14 10:52 PM
Tubby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Very, very well stated

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10415722 11/16/14 10:56 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
I have a pretty extensive background in rodeo, both on the competition side and on the business side. Bass fishing lines right up with rodeo as far as marketability. We all think it's a major sport, but out there in the real world, people do not recognize it as such. Rodeo and fishing always have been and always will be supported from within their own industry. Yes, each year there's a new sponsor or two that comes in and tries to get a piece of the pie - Jack Links, Kellogg, etc. At the end of the day, we all know that if it comes to buying that new rod/reel or supporting a sponsor, we are gonna buy our toys first. As with rodeo, fishing is expensive. It takes a lot of income to support this "habit". That doesn't leave a lot of extra money to spend as goodwill to the sponsors that are in place. Ya, if Little Junior eats Kellogg Frosted Flakes, then dad is going to continue buying them for him, but dad is going to buy 'em whether Kellogg is a sponsor of the industry or not. Dad isn't going to splurge and buy the Kellogg Raisin Bran just because they are a sponsor.

The other side of the coin is sponsorship exposure. Of course, we all think those logos the pros wear and are on their vehicles reach millions and millions of people. They may reach a lot of people, but it has to be the right people. Yes, it's reaching Little Junior and his dad, but we've already addressed the problem there. They are saving up just to support their own fishing habit. So this means you need to have brand exposure to new, financially stabile households. This type of viewership, generally speaking, doesn't watch fishing on tv nor do they subscribe to Field & Stream. Again, we believe everyone loves fishing or loves rodeo because our whole life centers around that particular industry, but it's just not viewed as a major past time in America.

Lastly, it was said above that hunting and fishing is a $50B industry. While that statement might be true, the subject at hand is about sponsorships of Bass Tournaments. That cuts that $50B down significantly. An equal comparison would be saying by being a sponsor of Minute Maid Park you are partaking in the trillion dollar industry of MLB when in actuality you're only centered in a very small piece of the equation.

Of course I understand what the 50 billion makes up. I simply added the link so people could start using real numbers.

This is perfect. Let's look at rodeo. If you're a sponsor of PBR are you sponsoring all rodeo? Of course not. Are you reaching everyone who's ever rode a bull or a horse or who's into riding or likes clowns? Of course not. You're sponsoring that segment and that property. Is there a connection to riders and to the demo? Of course there is. Do those who watch PBR consume products? Buy trucks? Go fishing? Hunt? Of course they do. PBR isn't for everyone and it's not Major League Baseball but it's a great property with TV, digital and event assets/activations that reach a unique demo. It's up to the companies who sponsor to determine if that's who they're wanting to reach and if aligning with PBR provides them the access and the ROI they're looking for based on the sponsorship spend.

This is no different for Bassmaster, FLW, MLF, PAA, etc. Not sure why people are having such a hard time understanding that sponsorship can be very effective regardless of the size of the property/event. Just because it's not the NFL doesn't mean it's not attractive to a brand.

That's the punch line here. The sponsorship of Bassmaster, FLW, MLF or Bass Champs for that matter, is reaching EXACTLY who the brands are attempting to reach; anglers who are affiliated with or passionate about that particular tournament organization and the sport of bass fishing.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10415796 11/16/14 11:30 PM
Y
YankHardReelFast Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Y
I do agree with you about the majority of the PBR sponsors touching the right target audience. The problem lies in the fact you're not actually comparing apples to apples. We all know tv time is the media source that carries the most weight in a sponsorship agreement. The PBR actually has a prime time spot for their broadcasts and about 30% of them are broadcast live. These 2 factors tremendously increase the viewing audience. It also increases the number of "outsiders" that watch the program - either by accident or intention. Either way, it doesn't matter, it's still effective. People like to watch bull riding for a chance to see a 1500 lb bull step on a cowboy or him hang up to him and get knocked out. That's the America we live in today. If you don't believe that violence sells, look at the top 10 movies for the past 5 years and see what they include.

Comparing apples to apples would be the comparison of rodeo to fishing. From a financial standpoint, it can't be broadcast live, so it's basically like watching your favorite NFL team's game that you tevo'd from 2 months ago. Only the industry diehards will watch it. Will those "outsiders" still watch it as they come across it while they are flipping through the channels? Sure they will, if the bull riding is on. They will continue flipping if it's calf roping or barrel racing. Bottom line is rodeo and fishing are boring to the average American.

Comparing fishing and the PBR are about like comparing badmitton and MMA - they are not in the same category of fan entertainment. Also, even with the level of danger and excitement the PBR offers, their financial situation isn't as strong as most perceive it to be. They are struggling as are a lot companies are that are in the entertainment sector. Until America's disposable income increases to the point it was in the early 2000s, money will be spent on necessities rather than luxuries.

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: Russell Olds] #10415831 11/16/14 11:49 PM
H
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Let's see.....

Who in this thread has actually negotiated major sponsorship deals with B.A.S.S., MLF and FLW? Who has sat in on symposiums hosted by those organizations for the benefit of endemic and nonendemic sponsors? Anybody here deal with sponsorship/marketing decisions for one of the most successful companies in the world across EVERY sports/activity segment across the globe??

That's what I thought.....

Re: Bad news for FLW regarding departing major sponsors. [Re: YankHardReelFast] #10415839 11/16/14 11:53 PM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: YankHardReelFast
I do agree with you about the majority of the PBR sponsors touching the right target audience. The problem lies in the fact you're not actually comparing apples to apples. We all know tv time is the media source that carries the most weight in a sponsorship agreement. The PBR actually has a prime time spot for their broadcasts and about 30% of them are broadcast live. These 2 factors tremendously increase the viewing audience. It also increases the number of "outsiders" that watch the program - either by accident or intention. Either way, it doesn't matter, it's still effective. People like to watch bull riding for a chance to see a 1500 lb bull step on a cowboy or him hang up to him and get knocked out. That's the America we live in today. If you don't believe that violence sells, look at the top 10 movies for the past 5 years and see what they include.

Comparing apples to apples would be the comparison of rodeo to fishing. From a financial standpoint, it can't be broadcast live, so it's basically like watching your favorite NFL team's game that you tevo'd from 2 months ago. Only the industry diehards will watch it. Will those "outsiders" still watch it as they come across it while they are flipping through the channels? Sure they will, if the bull riding is on. They will continue flipping if it's calf roping or barrel racing. Bottom line is rodeo and fishing are boring to the average American.

Comparing fishing and the PBR are about like comparing badmitton and MMA - they are not in the same category of fan entertainment. Also, even with the level of danger and excitement the PBR offers, their financial situation isn't as strong as most perceive it to be. They are struggling as are a lot companies are that are in the entertainment sector. Until America's disposable income increases to the point it was in the early 2000s, money will be spent on necessities rather than luxuries.

As an old cowboy and a tournament fisherman It's hard to disagree with that>>

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide