Print Thread
Avoiding hypothermia #10353754 10/16/14 09:16 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Hey yakers, I'm still exploring this kayak thing, and was curious what you are supposed to do in the winter when you accidentally get dumped into 40 degree water. That's pretty cold, and the air can't be much warmer once you climb back on the yak. What do you do if you are a long way from a heat source?

When I was about 17 or 18, I was on a boat on Texoma in the winter. It was about 30 degrees, with high winds. I stayed relatively dry considering the white caps, but I've never been more miserable in my life. I can only imagine I would be dead if I went into the lake.

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10353787 10/16/14 09:25 PM
J
John Stockman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Me personally I fish fairly close to shore, and keep a change of clothes in the kayak. You may be surprised how careful you become when the water is that cold.

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10353789 10/16/14 09:25 PM
T
TerryWilliams Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
My thoughts - you are in big time trouble. I feel about as likely to roll my Hobie Outback as I was likely to fall out of my bass boat. Not a big chance but still a chance. I take precautions when conditions turn nasty, don't fish alone, wear the PFD all times, stay in close so that I can get back to the shore/truck ASAP if needed...

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10353813 10/16/14 09:34 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
First off you need to dress appropriately for the conditions you'll paddling. Detials here, but basically I waer fleece/wool because when wet they continue to provide insulation unlike cotton. PFDs become even more important in the winter time since your body could go into shock as soon as you hit the cold water which could lead you to involuntarily inhaling water.

A change of clothing in a dry bag or in your truck is a must.

A lot of yakers also carry a tube of Liquid Nails because It burns very hot and can get wet wood started. That's to use if you b-line it straight to the nearest shore and need heat right away.

Also, you need to LEARN HOW TO DO A DEEP WATER RE-ENTRY! A lot of kayakers get into trouble because they never practice this maneuver. The water should still be warm enough to do so right now, so if you haven't practiced it yet you need to.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10353890 10/16/14 10:13 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
All of the above!
Use extreme caution and calculate your moves, and just remain aware especially if fishing alone. Staying close to shore as much as possible, and that means all the time since you don't have a lot of time before you are in big trouble.
Nothing wrong with fishing close to your put in, and it is probably more effective since you throughly fish the area when you slow down.
Always have a what if plan, and tell people where you are and when you plan to return.
I love fishing in the winter, as you usually have the lake/river to yourself, but that can also prove deadly, so be careful.

Just one more cast!

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10353899 10/16/14 10:19 PM
Y
yakintime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
I'd like to add that wetsuits are perfect for cold and wet eventualities......they are designed to keep you warm even when wet, even when in the water.....The thicker the wetsuit, the more insulative - but also the harder to move around in. Thinner wetsuits are more flexible but don't offer enough protection for our roughest times in winter. I prefer Farmer John wetsuits in Kayaks with fleece and a splash top when its colder.

All of Neumies tips on preperation and proper clothing are well worth looking into.

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10353907 10/16/14 10:25 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Thanks guys. Gives me some stuff to think about.

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10355099 10/17/14 12:22 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Second on the re-entry practice, less time spent in the water is crucial.
Extra clothes in your dry bag is also crucial, and don't forget dry socks.
I carry a fire starter and a zip lock bag full of dryer lint for very quick starting fires to warm up.
Hand sanitizer can also be an excellent accelerant in a pinch.
Having a float plan that you share with someone before you go out can be important also, someone will come looking if you do not come back when you're supposed to.
Use common sense and dont panic. Have fun!!

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10364309 10/22/14 03:23 AM
D
Donovan Maxwell Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Great suggestions guys! I was just wondering about this the other day. Have any of you tried wearing neoprene waders as insulation? My only concern with them is if I were to fall overboard, they would most likely fill up with water, creating a bad situation. Your thoughts?

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10365361 10/22/14 05:53 PM
P
Patriot7Six Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P

Fight the good fight - 1 Tim. 6:12 flag
Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: Donovan Maxwell] #10365489 10/22/14 06:54 PM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Donovan Maxwell
Great suggestions guys! I was just wondering about this the other day. Have any of you tried wearing neoprene waders as insulation? My only concern with them is if I were to fall overboard, they would most likely fill up with water, creating a bad situation. Your thoughts?

I was not going to mention neoprene as the wet suit is probably a better option. I wear neoprene chest waders for cold fishing. I will also put on tights (think under armor) insulated underwear and then jeans if real cold. For water getting in. I have never owned rubber waders but the neoprene float. Like really float. After watching a guy splash around in a pool on youtube with waders, I also tried it. If you have your waist belt on, you have to be submerged a long time to get water down your legs and the water you get in the top is minimal. If you fall out and then bob back up like you do when wearing a life jacket you likely wont get water down to your belt either. Now you can still drown in them but they dont pull you to the bottom of the lake.

I wish I could find the video I originally watched because that guy also peeled back the waders to show water intrusion at different intervals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m0_naq0-qc

Last edited by Oldtrackster; 10/22/14 07:11 PM.

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10366949 10/23/14 02:01 PM
O
onebaddj Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Neoprene or under armor cold gear! I have a spring suit for when we take the jetskis out in cooler water. Got dumped in 58 degree water and was fine. The new under armor cold gear is awesome. Have gotten wet when the water was in the upper 40's and cold wind was blowing white caps all over me so was sitting int water and it kept me warm even when soaked. Both will cost about the same but the under armor is more comfy.

MALIBUTEE X-13.

" I wasnt born with enough middle fingers"
Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: Donovan Maxwell] #10367016 10/23/14 02:27 PM
F
FishDragon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I just use a set of thin chest waders(the non-neoprene kind) and wear layers underneath. With a pair of jeans, long johns and thick wool socks, I can usually dangle my feet in the water and not really feel anything, and just add more layers the colder it gets into the winter. The ones I have(form academy...around $60 I think) have a belt built in which will keep the water from filling the waders quickly.

I'll add this about the open-water reentry....if you're going to practice, do it with your gear on at least once. It's a far different experience doing it in the middle of the summer with nothing but your swim trunks on vs. doing it with a lifejacket, waders, water shoes/boots you'll be wearing, kayak loaded with gear, etc. I discovered the hard way that my knife was easily caught on the edge of my kayak while doing a reentry(I keep it strapped to my pfd), and it actually ripped the loop off the jacket and caused me to lose my favorite knife.

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10368091 10/23/14 11:56 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
GET U A WET SUIT or NEOPRENE BIBS. They r great for cold water yak angling.

If its rough or there is a good chance its going to be, DONT GO OUT!
If you find yourself in the water, DONT PANIC!
Get back in the yak ASAP and get to a warm place.
Winter is the best time to fish with friends IMO.

Also recommend u keep some of these in the yak just in case.

you can slip them under your shirt/arms in your crotch, in your gloves or pants to help keep you warm while your getting to safety. DO NOT OPEN UP YOUR LIFE VEST.
your core temp must remain high. keeping your life vest securly fastend till you get to saftey is very important. It will help retain your core temp and keep you afloat.
EMS will also give you a hot beverage to warm you up from the inside out. So, keeping a thermus with a hot drink could help save your life in a pinch.

Re: Avoiding hypothermia [Re: HeavyLead] #10369081 10/24/14 02:53 PM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
The most important thing to understand if your are planning to paddle North TX lakes in cold weather are the affects of cold water on the human body. To get a better idea of those affects I recommend you read this: Brandon Pope story

Having said that, I would not venture out alone onto a North Texas lake in the wintertime. Rivers are more forgiving because they are are generally shallow or have quickly accessible banks. If that's not the case, then, again, don't paddle alone.

As for what to wear, you are probably going to be confused by the "get neoprene" versus "don't get neoprene" suggestions. My .02 cents worth: Neoprene waders will keep you warm, but they are much more restrictive (i.e., uncomfortable) than breathable waders. Also, breathable waders are more versatile in that you can use them when its only mildly cold AND when it's brutally cold (you just have to layer up underneath the waders). For that reason alone, I alway suggest breathable waders. They are well worth the extra cost IMHO.

PS: Always carry an extra COMPLETE set of clothing in a dry bag. I learned that one the hard way. bang

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide