Forums59
Topics1,039,250
Posts13,961,545
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: RexW] #10316507 09/29/14 06:14 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I know, my casting skill is not there yet. I need practice more. With smaller flies, I can cast 70', 75', 80'. But with bigger flies, I do have problem with my loops. Some time I wade in the water waist height, which poses a real challenge for me to cast comfortably. I have to raise my elbow high. I double haul till the head of Rio tropical Outbound short fly line is out of rod tip, and shoot. But the problem is that my big flies always touch the water before I shoot the line. I like to use the big flies for the big fish. I use bigger leader to help me to turn my big flies. It helps. But I hate to use bigger leaders. The line I use may be too "light" for my rod: Rio tropical Outbound short 265, based on my research.

Rex, I need your help!

Originally Posted By: RexW
Originally Posted By: moonriver
I need your help badly on fly tackle suitable for LONG CAST on the open water. You mentioned that you use 9# or 10# fly rod, and shooting heads. I have 8# BVK, 8# Mangrove, and 9# Clouser Serie. I am looking for your recommendation for the shooting head and running line. Currently, I am using Rio Salt water Tropical short. I can get about 65 feet with my big flies. I do need a bit extra distance to reach schooling fishes, since I fish from the bank. Please help! Thanks!

I've got some bad news for you. If you're only getting 65 ft with 8 and 9 wt setups, it is not a tackle issue.

Are you double hauling yet? If not, learning it would be the next step. However, if you are using it, then we need to help you to get more efficent with it.

Last edited by moonriver; 09/29/14 07:00 PM.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: moonriver] #10316630 09/29/14 07:07 PM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
It was such a pleasure to meet you, George. I really appreciate all your help. I started fishing Red River below the Dam since 1987. So I am a "river guy". I know the river very well. I caught lots, lots big stripers at Denison Dam. I am very good fishing the tail water of Denison Dam.

I need your help badly on fly tackle suitable for LONG CAST on the open water. You mentioned that you use 9# or 10# fly rod, and shooting heads. I have 8# BVK, 8# Mangrove, and 9# Clouser Serie. I am looking for your recommendation for the shooting head and running line. Currently, I am using Rio Salt water Tropical short. I can get about 65 feet with my big flies. I do need a bit extra distance to reach schooling fishes, since I fish from the bank. Please help! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: George Glazener
Thanks everyone for coming out, I hope you had fun. It was nice to meet many of you and to see others of you again. We were busy casting all morning and I know I didn't get to cast with everyone, but I hope one of was able to spend some time with you.

And George shared a lot of great information on how to fly fish Texoma. Thanks George!

Thanks everyone. The weather was great and I had a fun day!

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun re-visiting my Lake Texoma virtual high percentage fishing spots. Thanks for your interest - my allotted time ran out about the same time as my energy level smile

A quick review of the most important tip that I mentioned to fish Lake Texoma is seasonal patterns, regardless of tackle used. You may recall that my fly fishing awakening was transitional - going from all conventional tackle (that became boring) to fly tackle/conventional, to all fly tackle.
This was a LONG learning curve of some 20+ years.

Striped bass are an anadromous species gong up stream to spawn. At some time of another, they will share the same habitat of most if not all other species in the lake.

Another tip I hope was clear, was to photograph all exposed structure while the lake level is down.

Another thing I consider important is keep some type of records or journal and carry a digital scale for your own records..photos can be manipulated to make fish look trophy size and estimated weights are sometimes over-stated by guides - I understand they have to promote their services in order to put food on the table.

Also forgive my inappropriate comment about itsy bitsy flies and fly tackle - thats a Jerry Hamon joke between friends. laugh

By the way, a friend usng conventional tackle was catching 8-12 lb stripers, fishing the area across the lake at the same time of our meeting.
Ya gotta fish more and talk less banana

Thanks guys, for the memories.
George

Moon, I am confused about your question about LONG CAST on open water. Are you asking about sinking heads?
Rex has answered your question about longer cast, but if you are talking sinking shooting heads and running lines, casting technique is a different casting style.

I made my sinking heads using Cortland LC 13 - meaning lead core weighing 13 grains/foot - my preference for 28 foot heads weigh in at 364 grains. Your 9wt Clouser will handle these lines very well.
I believe that Rio now markets a Tungsten sinking head that I assume T-14 means 14 grain/ft.

But - I dont know why you would use this line for shore fishing.
They will sink fast and crawl along the bottom between rocks and be a PITA hang-upper.

My favorite line for shore fishing sinking lines is the old tried and true Teeny 200 and 300 integrated fly lines.

You dont cast these things, you launch them! You cast the Teenys the same as LC13 lines. Hold the running line connection at hand, do a flip or short roll cast and get the entire head out of tip, make an oval backcast and shoot the line. You should easily cast the entire 80 ft Teeny and 100+ ft with LC13. A double haul is not even required!

For structure fishing and shore fishing I like the floating shooting line that Teeny provides.

I would not use shooting lines/heads for shore fishing other than sinkers.
Too many options now WF fly lines.

All kinds of running lines available - google is you friend.
Hope this helps,
George

http://www.danblanton.com/mix_match_tips.html

Last edited by George Glazener; 09/29/14 08:15 PM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: George Glazener] #10316911 09/29/14 09:01 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Thank you very much for the help. I am sorry that i didnt make myself more clear. I want to learn the shooting head you made, and running line you use. I don't use sink line or sink tip. I use floating line, floating line with intermidiate tip. What i want to do is to shoot my line out, to reach the schooling fish.
Can you also tell me the leader you use? I make my leader using 4' 30# mono, 4 20# fc line, 4' 15# or 10# fc line. Do you think it's too long?
Thanks!

It was such a pleasure to meet you, George. I really appreciate all your help. I started fishing Red River below the Dam since 1987. So I am a "river guy". I know the river very well. I caught lots, lots big stripers at Denison Dam. I am very good fishing the tail water of Denison Dam.

Thanks everyone for coming out, I hope you had fun. It was nice to meet many of you and to see others of you again. We were busy casting all morning and I know I didn't get to cast with everyone, but I hope one of was able to spend some time with you.

And George shared a lot of great information on how to fly fish Texoma. Thanks George!

Thanks everyone. The weather was great and I had a fun day!

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun re-visiting my Lake Texoma virtual high percentage fishing spots. Thanks for your interest - my allotted time ran out about the same time as my energy level smile

A quick review of the most important tip that I mentioned to fish Lake Texoma is seasonal patterns, regardless of tackle used. You may recall that my fly fishing awakening was transitional - going from all conventional tackle (that became boring) to fly tackle/conventional, to all fly tackle.
This was a LONG learning curve of some 20+ years.

Striped bass are an anadromous species gong up stream to spawn. At some time of another, they will share the same habitat of most if not all other species in the lake.

Another tip I hope was clear, was to photograph all exposed structure while the lake level is down.

Another thing I consider important is keep some type of records or journal and carry a digital scale for your own records..photos can be manipulated to make fish look trophy size and estimated weights are sometimes over-stated by guides - I understand they have to promote their services in order to put food on the table.

Also forgive my inappropriate comment about itsy bitsy flies and fly tackle - thats a Jerry Hamon joke between friends. laugh

By the way, a friend usng conventional tackle was catching 8-12 lb stripers, fishing the area across the lake at the same time of our meeting.
Ya gotta fish more and talk less banana

Thanks guys, for the memories.
George

Moon, I am confused about your question about LONG CAST on open water. Are you asking about sinking heads?
Rex has answered your question about longer cast, but if you are talking sinking shooting heads and running lines, casting technique is a different casting style.

I made my sinking heads using Cortland LC 13 - meaning lead core weighing 13 grains/foot - my preference for 28 foot heads weigh in at 364 grains. Your 9wt Clouser will handle these lines very well.
I believe that Rio now markets a Tungsten sinking head that I assume T-14 means 14 grain/ft.

But - I dont know why you would use this line for shore fishing.
They will sink fast and crawl along the bottom between rocks and be a PITA hang-upper.

My favorite line for shore fishing sinking lines is the old tried and true Teeny 200 and 300 integrated fly lines.

You dont cast these things, you launch them! You cast the Teenys the same as LC13 lines. Hold the running line connection at hand, do a flip or short roll cast and get the entire head out of tip, make an oval backcast and shoot the line. You should easily cast the entire 80 ft Teeny and 100+ ft with LC13. A double haul is not even required!

For structure fishing and shore fishing I like the floating shooting line that Teeny provides.

I would not use shooting lines/heads for shore fishing other than sinkers.
Too many options now WF fly lines.

All kinds of running lines available - google is you friend.
Hope this helps,
George

http://www.danblanton.com/mix_match_tips.html

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: moonriver] #10317930 09/30/14 10:40 AM
G
George Glazener Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Thank you very much for the help. I am sorry that i didnt make myself more clear. I want to learn the shooting head you made, and running line you use. I don't use sink line or sink tip. I use floating line, floating line with intermidiate tip. What i want to do is to shoot my line out, to reach the schooling fish.
Can you also tell me the leader you use? I make my leader using 4' 30# mono, 4 20# fc line, 4' 15# or 10# fc line. Do you think it's too long?
Thanks!
[quote=George Glazener][quote=moonriver]

Moon, the only way you are going to get more distance from the bank without use of sinking heads and running line, that you have rejected, is to work on your cast.

Rex W. states:
"I've got some bad news for you. If you're only getting 65 ft with 8 and 9 wt setups, it is not a tackle issue.
Are you double hauling yet? If not, learning it would be the next step. However, if you are using it, then we need to help you to get more efficent with i
t.

Sorry that I cannot provide additional help..
Cheers, George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds.
Previously george 1

www.reelrecovery.org

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: George Glazener] #10319544 10/01/14 12:08 AM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Thanks very much George for your help.

I may check into Rio Skagit Max Short shooting head. I will do more research before I buy it.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: RexW] #10319649 10/01/14 01:05 AM
T
txww Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
On your 9# clouser----get an 11# rio outbound short shooting head (floating). Match that with a rio slickshooter running line .035 diameter. This will carry your large flies a long distance if,,,you can cast well. Casting a shooting head is different than a regular cast. Watch'some vids on utube to get an idea and a haul is a requirement.

Once mastered you will find the cast slow and easy but when your line hits the water it will resemble a train wreck

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: txww] #10319713 10/01/14 01:37 AM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Thank you SO MUCH! That's exact the information I am looking for. I was wondering that my Rio Tropical Outbound short 265 is too light for my 8# rod. But I am not sure which # of line I should get.
99.99% of time, I fish from bank, shallow water, 5' to 10'. So sink ling is not an option. I don't want to drag my lure at the bottom for cat fish, or rock fish. grin
The slickshooter 35# running line is the exact running line recommended by Chris at Rio, who has 38 years of fly fishing experience.
I haul till the whole head out of my rod tip, then shoot. With smaller flies, I am able to get 75', 80', but not consistently. I do need to practice more. I was very happy with my practice this morning. I got a little bit more consistence with my cast this morning.

Thank you again for the help!

Originally Posted By: txww
On your 9# clouser----get an 11# rio outbound short shooting head (floating). Match that with a rio slickshooter running line .035 diameter. This will carry your large flies a long distance if,,,you can cast well. Casting a shooting head is different than a regular cast. Watch'some vids on utube to get an idea and a haul is a requirement.

Once mastered you will find the cast slow and easy but when your line hits the water it will resemble a train wreck

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: RexW] #10319826 10/01/14 02:31 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
M.R., looking at your other post, you're trying to cast some very large poppers. As a general statement, heavier lines will cast larger flies easier. So, txww's advice to upline two sizes is a good next step for you. As much as you like to try different lines, I think you'll like switching to a running line with a separate head. That setup will allow you to experiment with different head designs and weights more easily than with full fly lines.

However, be careful about using a Skagit head. They are designed for 2 handed rods and they are heavier than lines for single hand rods. So, picking the best wt Skagit line to use with a single hand rod is more complicated.

Here's something you might find interesting. In the part one video, he is giving tips on going from 60 ft to 90 ft of distance. Note that he is using a regular fly line and not a shooting head. The shooting head technique will be a little bit different, but he covers the critical skills that are necessary for distance casting regardless of the line. But as mentioned by someone else, with a heavy shooting head, you'll just make one backcast and then launch the line.

Please note that Paul has a Part II on distance casting. But Part II focuses on Competition Style distance casting and the casting style is different than the styles that are used for fishing. He does have some good information in that video, but note that he talks about carrying 85 to 90 feet of line in the air before he switches to that style of casting. eeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epIC5Skvro

The caster is Paul Arden and was filmed at an event in Malaysia in 2012. There are also some videos by Peter Hayes that were filmed at the same event that are good casting videos.

Good luck!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: RexW] #10320016 10/01/14 03:43 AM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Thank you so much Rex. You are always of great help.

I do have Paul's video, and watched it few times. I did learn a great deal from him.

I will take your advise: be careful and educated with Skagit shooting head. I did a research about using shooting head on single hand rods. If using Rio Skagit Max Short on single hand rod, I have to use line 3 weight lighter. I am still debating about using it.

A false cast, then shoot is the way I want to do. I am waist deep in the water, hauling is very difficult and tiring. Lot of times schooling fishes show up and disappear in a matter of minutes. I want to be able to do a quick shoot, get my lure to them in time.

Now I had the materials printed out, have my goal set. I will practice more. I will ask you help when I have questions.

Thank you again, Rex. I really appreciate your help.

M.R., looking at your other post, you're trying to cast some very large poppers. As a general statement, heavier lines will cast larger flies easier. So, txww's advice to upline two sizes is a good next step for you. As much as you like to try different lines, I think you'll like switching to a running line with a separate head. That setup will allow you to experiment with different head designs and weights more easily than with full fly lines.

However, be careful about using a Skagit head. They are designed for 2 handed rods and they are heavier than lines for single hand rods. So, picking the best wt Skagit line to use with a single hand rod is more complicated.

Here's something you might find interesting. In the part one video, he is giving tips on going from 60 ft to 90 ft of distance. Note that he is using a regular fly line and not a shooting head. The shooting head technique will be a little bit different, but he covers the critical skills that are necessary for distance casting regardless of the line. But as mentioned by someone else, with a heavy shooting head, you'll just make one backcast and then launch the line.

Please note that Paul has a Part II on distance casting. But Part II focuses on Competition Style distance casting and the casting style is different than the styles that are used for fishing. He does have some good information in that video, but note that he talks about carrying 85 to 90 feet of line in the air before he switches to that style of casting. eeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epIC5Skvro

The caster is Paul Arden and was filmed at an event in Malaysia in 2012. There are also some videos by Peter Hayes that were filmed at the same event that are good casting videos.

Good luck!

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: RexW] #10320602 10/01/14 02:50 PM
D
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Since nobody mentioned it, if you're throwing big flies your leader is indeed too long. Try going down to 4', 2', 1.5' for fly changes and that'll cut you down 4.5 feet. You'll have a lot better luck especially if your line/leader is overshooting your fly when it lands.

When I gets the cravin to chase fat girls, I call on Bass Bug
Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: Dave Speer] #10320620 10/01/14 03:00 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Thank you very much Dave. I will cut short my leader, and try it next time fishing.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
Since nobody mentioned it, if you're throwing big flies your leader is indeed too long. Try going down to 4', 2', 1.5' for fly changes and that'll cut you down 4.5 feet. You'll have a lot better luck especially if your line/leader is overshooting your fly when it lands.

Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: RexW] #10320804 10/01/14 05:04 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Moon don't beat yourself up. Lot different standing in a confined outdoor area standing on concrete than it is waste deep in rock/dirt.

I also have heard people tell me, casting 90' isn't done in one cast. You must get line out and shoot 20-30' at a time. One step at a time.

I agree on shortening the leader.

Good luck!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Texoma on the Fly - Sat, September 27 [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10321369 10/01/14 08:31 PM
M
moonriver Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Thank you Sir. I will use what I have now, make changes maybe next year. I am switching to crappie fishing soon, going to leave stripers along till next year.

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Moon don't beat yourself up. Lot different standing in a confined outdoor area standing on concrete than it is waste deep in rock/dirt.

I also have heard people tell me, casting 90' isn't done in one cast. You must get line out and shoot 20-30' at a time. One step at a time.

I agree on shortening the leader.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide