Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Advice needed-Looking for color #10254466 09/02/14 05:53 PM
yakin ag Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I recently started a native aquarium, and I'm looking for colorful oddballs, specifically longear, green sunfish, warmouth/Rockbass, and Guadalupe Bass. I have mainly been fishing the Guad in Seguin and the Cibolo in Schertz. I've been catching huge numbers of fish (50+ per trip), some nice sized bluegills and Rios, but no luck on color. Do any of you experts have any pointers/tips/advice that may help? I'm using worms under a float, typically near shore. I did manage 4 red spotted sunfish across from the train station at Landa, but they seem darker than I was expecting. Thanks!

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10254550 09/02/14 06:25 PM
T
TuN3R Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
For green sunfish /warmmouth i would visit salado creek they are thick around there most likely comanche park would be good place to get em as for redbreast/longears i would fish crescent bend nature park right outside the park with good current area .

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10254555 09/02/14 06:26 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
You may want to try the Comal River by Psalms Park in New Braunfels. hmmm Starting in the Middle of September through next spring you can catch some pretty colorful Longear and Red Spotted. eeks I have always gotten some pretty colorful Longear at the Crescent Bend on the Cibolo. Another good spot is the San Antonio River off of Mullberry Street by Brackenridge Park. coolio Lots of small colorful Longear there. Worms is a good bait to use. hooked

Side Note: Remember Sunfish will usually change up their colors during certain times of the year especially during the spawn. breakdance

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: banker-always fishing] #10254745 09/02/14 07:25 PM
yakin ag Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
You may want to try the Comal River by Psalms Park in New Braunfels. hmmm Starting in the Middle of September through next spring you can catch some pretty colorful Longear and Red Spotted. eeks I have always gotten some pretty colorful Longear at the Crescent Bend on the Cibolo. Another good spot is the San Antonio River off of Mullberry Street by Brackenridge Park. coolio Lots of small colorful Longear there. Worms is a good bait to use. hooked

Side Note: Remember Sunfish will usually change up their colors during certain times of the year especially during the spawn. breakdance

I watched some videos on youtube (I assume yours?) about orange spotted, but wound up catching them at Landa. I'll try Comanche and Crescent Bend next. My Cibolo trips have been just upstream from Crescent Bend with huge numbers of bluegill and rios, no longear.

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: TuN3R] #10254758 09/02/14 07:28 PM
yakin ag Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: TuN3R
For green sunfish /warmmouth i would visit salado creek they are thick around there most likely comanche park would be good place to get em as for redbreast/longears i would fish crescent bend nature park right outside the park with good current area .

I'll try both this week. Thanks for the advice! Have you caught warmouth there?

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10254783 09/02/14 07:37 PM
T
TuN3R Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: yakin ag
Originally Posted By: TuN3R

I'll try both this week. Thanks for the advice! Have you caught warmouth there?

Yup i always toss worms under those lily pads some nice fat warmmouths around there including some small babies . Deeper part has lot of greenies and shallow areas lot of warmmouth . I have been catching lot of small baby hybrids creek close to my house as well .

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10287066 09/16/14 03:38 PM
yakin ag Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I wound up fishing Salado Creek in Comanche Park, and caught several nice warmout, several colorful longears, and multiple bluegill and rios. Next stop was the Cibolo in Crescent Bend NP where I caught a ton of big rios and small bluegill. Thanks for the advice! Now to search for a green sunfish and a guadalupe bass!

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10287278 09/16/14 05:17 PM
T
Turf Dawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Too bad you are so far away

Turf Dawg Landscaping
Texas Licensed Irrigator
LI 0020041
Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Turf and Ornamental, Pasture & Rangelands and Right-of-Way
Texas Dept of Agriculture license #0525163
Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10287338 09/16/14 05:43 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
I recently started a native aquarium, and I'm looking for colorful oddballs, specifically longear, green sunfish, warmouth/Rockbass, and Guadalupe Bass. I have mainly been fishing the Guad in Seguin and the Cibolo in Schertz. I've been catching huge numbers of fish (50+ per trip), some nice sized bluegills and Rios, but no luck on color. Do any of you experts have any pointers/tips/advice that may help? I'm using worms under a float, typically near shore. I did manage 4 red spotted sunfish across from the train station at Landa, but they seem darker than I was expecting. Thanks!

How big is your tank?

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: Turf Dawg] #10289087 09/17/14 01:28 PM
yakin ag Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Turf Dawg
Too bad you are so far away

That would be a nice addition!

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: Dfitz] #10289095 09/17/14 01:33 PM
yakin ag Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Dfitz

How big is your tank?

It is a 90 gallon. I currently have 1 Rio Grande Cichlid, 1 Bluegill, 2 Red Spotted Sunfish, 2 Longears, and a single Warmouth. I plan on adding a single Green Sunfish and a single Guadalupe Bass.

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10290511 09/17/14 10:51 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
Originally Posted By: Dfitz

How big is your tank?

It is a 90 gallon. I currently have 1 Rio Grande Cichlid, 1 Bluegill, 2 Red Spotted Sunfish, 2 Longears, and a single Warmouth. I plan on adding a single Green Sunfish and a single Guadalupe Bass.

Good luck on your tank, I have gotten lots of love from mine!

And post some pics of it!

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: Dfitz] #10292092 09/18/14 04:11 PM
yakin ag Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Here it is so far...the Warmouth rules the roost.

Re: Advice needed-Looking for color [Re: yakin ag] #10292118 09/18/14 04:18 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Here it is so far...the Warmouth rules the roost.

Awesome ! woot

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide